Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Infrared Photography with Digital Cameras

Infrared Photography with Digital Cameras

TaoSurfer

I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was wondering
if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital camera?

I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
image quality problems.

I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?

Thank you in advance for any information.

Chris

stan@temple.edu

TaoSurfer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was wondering
> if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital camera?

> I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
> infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
> sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
> image quality problems.

> I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
> discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?

> Thank you in advance for any information.

A friend of mine shoots some very interesting infrared photos with a
Minolta Dimage 7 that she bought recently off of eBay. Her photos are
on the web, but I don't have the URL available right now. Write to me
via private email and I will let you know what the URL is so you can
view these photos if you are interested.

Ken Oaf

On 29 May 2004 21:18:24 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (TaoSurfer) wrote:

> I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was wondering
> if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital camera?
>
> I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
> infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
> sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
> image quality problems.
>
> I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
> discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?
>
> Thank you in advance for any information.

To see whether or not a digital camera can "see" infra red, grab a TV remote
control, point it at the camera, push a button and take a picture.

If you can see a white light at the end of the remote, then the camera is good
for IR photography.

Crownfield

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> TaoSurfer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was wondering
> > if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital camera?

> > I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
> > infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
> > sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
> > image quality problems.

> > I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
> > discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?

> > Thank you in advance for any information.

> A friend of mine shoots some very interesting infrared photos with a
> Minolta Dimage 7 that she bought recently off of eBay. Her photos are
> on the web, but I don't have the URL available right now. Write to me
> via private email and I will let you know what the URL is so you can
> view these photos if you are interested.

Dimage 7 works very well with an 89 b filter.
the electronic viewfinder is an asset, because you can see through the
ir filter.

my s2 pro also does ir pictures, but with the optical viewfinder,
you have to put the ir filter in after you compose. autoexposure
certainly works, and auto focus should work.

sitswithchickens

On 29 May 2004 21:18:24 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (TaoSurfer) wrote:

>I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was wondering
>if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital camera?
>
>I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
>infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
>sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
>image quality problems.
>
>I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
>discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?
>
>Thank you in advance for any information.
>
>Chris

If you wanna go all the way, check out

http://www.maxmax.com/aXRayIRCameras.htm

That's where I picked up my IR dedicated Sony F717. It's great!

Between the more expensive F828 and this camera, you won't find any
greater sensitivity to IR.

Geo

stewy

"TaoSurfer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was

wondering
> if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital

camera?

> I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
> infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
> sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
> image quality problems.
>
> I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
> discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?

Try the Sony S-70, discontinued a couple of years ago - it works very well
with my Hoya R72 filter - and you can pick up a used one on ebay for around
$150. The S-85 is probably very similar.

Lucas Sweany

My Olympus C4000Z takes decent IR pics with a Hoya R72 filter. In most
conditions you must use a very long exposure however. You may out some
of the IR pics I have taken here:

http://cgi-this.com/pictures/webgal_cgi.pl?dir=nir

Lucas

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I have been interested in infrared photography for some time, and was wondering
> if any of you have had success with shooting infrared with a digital camera?
>
> I know there are only a few digital cameras on the market that can 'see'
> infrared as most manufacturers have put a cut-off fliter over the imaging
> sensor to block light from the infrared spectrum as they can contribute to
> image quality problems.
>
> I am interested in finding out which digital cameras, either current or
> discontinued models, can shoot infrared without this blocking filter?
>
> Thank you in advance for any information.
>
> Chris

Dave Martindale

Ken Oaf <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>To see whether or not a digital camera can "see" infra red, grab a TV remote
>control, point it at the camera, push a button and take a picture.

>If you can see a white light at the end of the remote, then the camera is good
>for IR photography.

That's a poor test, since probably every digital camera made is
sensitive enough to IR to see the LED in a remote when it's pointed at
the camera. All silicon sensors are sensitive to IR, and cameras with
IR filters still pass *some* IR.

But the remaining sensitivity determines whether a camera is useful for
IR photography. Exposure times could be a fraction of a second or
minutes, and the IR remote test won't tell you this.

Dave