Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 36MB Foveon proved too pricey for Hasselblad

36MB Foveon proved too pricey for Hasselblad

George Preddy

Lionel

Kibo informs me that http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (George Preddy) stated
that:

>http://www.hasselblad.se/news/newsIt...iShowYear=2000

"The Hasselblad DFinity changes this situation by integrating Foveon
prism technology with three of its CMOS image sensors to improve color
reproduction while providing protecting against moiré and other unwanted
imaging artifacts found in the singlesensor cameras and backs. "

I notice that they're talking about one of Foveon's older (late 2000)
professional prism-based 3 sensor systems, not about consumer-level
cameras like the SD9.

Jukka-Pekka Suominen

George Preddy wrote:

???

Anti Spam & Uncle Lart

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

http://www.hasselblad.se/news/newsIt...iShowYear=2000

Hmmm, in the year 2000! (I can hear Conan O'Brien) is when this "news" item
was released. Old technology, didn't work well enough then. I doubt Fuji
will use Foveon in it's current or future Hasselblad cameras.

Mick Sterbs

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> http://www.hasselblad.se/news/ne

That was in the year 2000 you nitwit.
(Hint: it's now 2004 George)

Tony Spadaro

It simply never worked.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

http://www.hasselblad.se/news/newsIt...iShowYear=2000

Crownfield

George Preddy wrote:

> http://www.hasselblad.se/news/newsIt...iShowYear=2000

try to buy one.

they could not produce one with acceptable quality or price.

if they could make a 20mp foveon back for $10,000,
they could sell all they could make.

the problem is that a quality 22mp foveon back
that produces quality images does not exist.

22 mp backs that do include phase one and imacon.

imacons ixpress will produce 22x3 megapixel images.
not interpolated, george, 22mp x 3.

Georgette Preddy

Crownfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> George Preddy wrote:
> >
> > http://www.hasselblad.se/news/newsIt...iShowYear=2000

> try to buy one.
>
> they could not produce one with acceptable quality or price.

They produced several prototypes, those who used them said they were
the best digital photographic tools ever created. It is true that
Hasselblad couldn't afford Foveon, so the deal ultimately fell
through.

Anti Spam & Uncle Lart

"Georgette Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Crownfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > George Preddy wrote:

http://www.hasselblad.se/news/newsIt...iShowYear=2000

> > try to buy one.
> >
> > they could not produce one with acceptable quality or price.

> They produced several prototypes, those who used them said they were
> the best digital photographic tools ever created. It is true that
> Hasselblad couldn't afford Foveon, so the deal ultimately fell
> through.

Actually truth be known the system was to expensive for end users. It was
clumsy having to be tethered to the computer. And the system had technical
problems.

Steven M. Scharf

"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kiKtc.22$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It simply never worked.

The Hasselblad system may not have worked, but there were working prism
based Foveon cameras with three 4 megasensor sensors.

Also, the original Foveon, prism-based, studio cameras didn't suffer from
the color problems inherent in the X3 sensor. The color separation by prism
was much better than the color separation by silicon, without the color
contamination problems.

The original Foveon system used three sensor elements each with 4
megasensors. The color information was combined to form an image with 4
megapixel spatial resolution, with each pixel being full color. At the time
it was introduced, it was inarguably the highest resolution digital studio
camera on the market.

Alas, the prism approach was too expensive, and too heavy, to be usable in a
non-studio camera, hence the development of the less-capable, but cheaper,
X3 sensor.

With the development of low noise, full-frame, Bayer sensors, such as the 11
megapixel sensor used in the Canon EOS-1Ds, the Foveon approach lost its
appeal. The Canon sensor, in the EOS-1Ds, is more than 3x the resolution of
the Foveon X3 sensor, with better color and lower noise, at higher ISOs.

I don't know where someone came up with 36 megapixels! Even if you counted
each sensor, in each element, as a pixel (which is not an accurate
definition of a pixel), it would still only be 12 megasensors (4 megapixel
spatial). I think that he didn't realize that the Hasselblad site had
already mis-stated the resolution as being 12 megapixels rather than 12
megasensors, so he multiplied 12 megasensors by 3. The Foveon sensor gets
more megapixels every week. Amazing!

Visit: http://sigmasd10.com. This is the premier site for unbiased
information about the pros and cons of the Sigma SD10 digital SLR.