Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak Print Station rocks! Why didn't I try one before?? :)

Reply
Thread Tools

Kodak Print Station rocks! Why didn't I try one before?? :)

 
 
Bay Area Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2004
I received a coupon in the mail, good for 10 free pictures
at a Kodak Print Station so I decided to give it a try. My
wife and I were amazed at the great quality of the pictures
compared with printing at home on an HP Inkjet. The gal
behind the counter said it uses a Laser printer. Whatever
it is, it looks very, very close to a picture made in a
photolab from a negative. I doubt I'll ever bother to spend
hours printing inferior pictures at home on my inkjet. It
takes too long, and between the ink and the paper costs, I
don't save a thing. the 4 x 6's were 36 cents at the
Walmart Kodak kiosk. You can scan prints on a flatbed
scanner, insert all the popular camera memory cards, use
bluetooth (PDA's and camera phones) and CD's. While I
didn't avail myself of the options, you can enlarge,
"enhance" (don't know the extent of that feature), zoom,
crop, reduce red-eye, add text and borders. The whole
process takes just a couple of minutes for 4 x6's and 8 x
10's. The pictures are semi-glossy. They are MORE shiny
than the 1 Hour photo pictures that Walmart makes, but not
super shiny like the Costco prints.

For the price and convenience, I HIGHLY recommend giving
this a try.

dave

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Any Moose Poster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2004
In article <oQrtc.4853$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Bay Area Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For the price and convenience, I HIGHLY recommend giving
> this a try.
> dave


O shucks,,..... thanks for the advice, next time (never) I go to Walmart
I'll check it out.....golly gee wiz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bay Area Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2004
I'm sure you can find the unit in places other than Walmart;
I just mentioned Walmart because that is where I found the
Kodak kiosk. smartass...

dave

Any Moose Poster wrote:

> In article <oQrtc.4853$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Bay Area Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>For the price and convenience, I HIGHLY recommend giving
>>this a try.
>>dave

>
>
> O shucks,,..... thanks for the advice, next time (never) I go to Walmart
> I'll check it out.....golly gee wiz.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mardon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2004
"Bay Area Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> I received a coupon in the mail, good for 10 free pictures
> at a Kodak Print Station so I decided to give it a try...


> the 4 x 6's were 36 cents at the Walmart Kodak kiosk...


Rather than using Kodak print station kiosks, I prefer those machines that
connect directly to the normal one-hour, print processing equipment. You
just insert a flash card, floppy or CD, select the photo(s) that you want,
the picture size, finish type, border or borderless, then enter your name
and telephone number and come back in an hour to pick up your pictures.
When doing this, I always prepare my images in advance using Photoshop.
This avoids cropping and I also leave instructions with my order that there
are to be no adjustments made for colour or density. This way I can be
fairly certain that my pictures will come out as expected, without leaving
things like colour to the judgment of the machine operator. Incidentally,
in Canada Walmart's price for these prints is 25 each for a 4"x6". (That's
approx. US18)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Baird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2004
Greetings Dave,

Glad to hear you are pleased, Dave, and I am sure you are referring to the
Kodak Picture Maker.

Actually, the printer is really a Dye Thermal printer, not a laser printer.
The quality is extremely good. Of course, it is based on the quality of the
original image being used. Kodak announced a small version of that
technology in the Kodak Printer Dock for its EasyShare Cameras. It prints
in the 4x6 format. You can attach one directly to your computer to make as
many prints as you like. Excellent.

For a review of that printer, try visiting the following site.

http://www.kodak.com/go/printerdock

Should you ever have any questions on this printer, or any other Kodak
product, let me know. I am glad to help you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company


"Bay Area Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsQrtc.4853$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I received a coupon in the mail, good for 10 free pictures
> at a Kodak Print Station so I decided to give it a try. My
> wife and I were amazed at the great quality of the pictures
> compared with printing at home on an HP Inkjet. The gal
> behind the counter said it uses a Laser printer. Whatever
> it is, it looks very, very close to a picture made in a
> photolab from a negative. I doubt I'll ever bother to spend
> hours printing inferior pictures at home on my inkjet. It
> takes too long, and between the ink and the paper costs, I
> don't save a thing. the 4 x 6's were 36 cents at the
> Walmart Kodak kiosk. You can scan prints on a flatbed
> scanner, insert all the popular camera memory cards, use
> bluetooth (PDA's and camera phones) and CD's. While I
> didn't avail myself of the options, you can enlarge,
> "enhance" (don't know the extent of that feature), zoom,
> crop, reduce red-eye, add text and borders. The whole
> process takes just a couple of minutes for 4 x6's and 8 x
> 10's. The pictures are semi-glossy. They are MORE shiny
> than the 1 Hour photo pictures that Walmart makes, but not
> super shiny like the Costco prints.
>
> For the price and convenience, I HIGHLY recommend giving
> this a try.
>
> dave
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Tucker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2004
Ron Baird wrote:
> Kodak announced a small version of that technology in the Kodak Printer

Dock for its
> EasyShare Cameras. It prints in the 4x6 format. You can attach one

directly to your >computer to make as many prints as you like.

Ron,

Are you saying that I can connect an EasyShare Printer Dock directly to my
computer and print photos, regardless of whether I use a Kodak camera?

John
Texas, USA


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bay Area Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2004
Ron, thanks for the clarification of the technology; it sure
gives nice results! Had I not received the coupon for a
free trial of the Kodak equipment, I might not ever given it
a try!

I have a question for you. Are there controls to adjust
saturation, contrast, brightness, or tint? When I selected
the images to print, I didn't notice any options, but I
wasn't LOOKING particularly for any, either. I could adjust
my photo files before taking them into the store if those
parameters need to be tweaked if the Kodak unit doesn't have
those features.


I see from the URL you provided that the printerdock uses
thermal dye as well; does it provide identical results to
the unit I used in Walmart, or would there be some subtle or
not-so-subtle differences in print quality?

I'm gonna have to start throwing rocks at my HP970cse...

dave

Ron Baird wrote:

> Greetings Dave,
>
> Glad to hear you are pleased, Dave, and I am sure you are referring to the
> Kodak Picture Maker.
>
> Actually, the printer is really a Dye Thermal printer, not a laser printer.
> The quality is extremely good. Of course, it is based on the quality of the
> original image being used. Kodak announced a small version of that
> technology in the Kodak Printer Dock for its EasyShare Cameras. It prints
> in the 4x6 format. You can attach one directly to your computer to make as
> many prints as you like. Excellent.
>
> For a review of that printer, try visiting the following site.
>
> http://www.kodak.com/go/printerdock
>
> Should you ever have any questions on this printer, or any other Kodak
> product, let me know. I am glad to help you.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>
>
> "Bay Area Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsQrtc.4853$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
>>I received a coupon in the mail, good for 10 free pictures
>>at a Kodak Print Station so I decided to give it a try. My
>>wife and I were amazed at the great quality of the pictures
>>compared with printing at home on an HP Inkjet. The gal
>>behind the counter said it uses a Laser printer. Whatever
>>it is, it looks very, very close to a picture made in a
>>photolab from a negative. I doubt I'll ever bother to spend
>>hours printing inferior pictures at home on my inkjet. It
>>takes too long, and between the ink and the paper costs, I
>>don't save a thing. the 4 x 6's were 36 cents at the
>>Walmart Kodak kiosk. You can scan prints on a flatbed
>>scanner, insert all the popular camera memory cards, use
>>bluetooth (PDA's and camera phones) and CD's. While I
>>didn't avail myself of the options, you can enlarge,
>>"enhance" (don't know the extent of that feature), zoom,
>>crop, reduce red-eye, add text and borders. The whole
>>process takes just a couple of minutes for 4 x6's and 8 x
>>10's. The pictures are semi-glossy. They are MORE shiny
>>than the 1 Hour photo pictures that Walmart makes, but not
>>super shiny like the Costco prints.
>>
>>For the price and convenience, I HIGHLY recommend giving
>>this a try.
>>
>>dave
>>

>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
ArtKramr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2004
>Subject: Re: Kodak Print Station rocks! Why didn't I try one before??
>From: Any Moose Poster Bullwinks@bullwinkle&rockie.net
>Date: 5/27/04 1:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>Message-id: <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>In article <oQrtc.4853$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Bay Area Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> For the price and convenience, I HIGHLY recommend giving
>> this a try.
>> dave

>
>O shucks,,..... thanks for the advice, next time (never) I go to Walmart
>I'll check it out.....golly gee wiz.



Just got a beautiful 16x20 back from Kodak shot with my DX 6490. Who needs M
Leicas?


Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

 
Reply With Quote
 
sunlei6662003@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2004
Download AlbumFamiy software at http://www.albumsfamily.com to help
you
With its Image Browser, you can manage your images as easily as you
can imagine; its Image Viewer shows your images in the most advanced
Virtual Album; the PhotoEdit and Photofun functions give you wide room
to adjust your images and make all kinds of prints such as postcards,
cards, stationery and so on; what's more, the Bundled Functions allow
you to scan images and send images to your specified destination just
by a single click. With AlbumFamily, You can establish the most
beautiful albums for yourself, your family and your friends, you can
produce your own style stationery on your desk. You will never find
another application software which fits you so well and satisfy you so
much!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Trevor S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2004
"Ron Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c95n0d$6me$(E-Mail Removed):

<Snip>

> For a review of that printer, try visiting the following site.
>
> http://www.kodak.com/go/printerdock
>
> Should you ever have any questions on this printer, or any other Kodak
> product, let me know. I am glad to help you.


This little printer/printer dock does do a good job, I was suprised !Kudos
to Kodak for coming up with an excellent solution, charges, prints,
transfers to the PC etc. While it's not for me, it is simple to use turn-
key system. In Aus. the cost of the refills is prohibitive (they may come
down with time). My wife uses one with her DX 6490.

--
Trevor S


"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
-Albert Einstein
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 4 12-21-2006 01:15 PM
findcontrol("PlaceHolderPrice") why why why why why why why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 2 12-02-2006 03:46 PM
Try, Try, Try, again... Rick12N4@netscape.net Computer Support 3 01-29-2005 04:02 PM
Kodak Releases A New Camera - KODAK EasyShare-One digital camera Ron Baird Digital Photography 28 01-10-2005 04:07 AM
bypass print station Empirical Computer Information 1 10-25-2003 01:31 PM



Advertisments