Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why dont they make double sided photo paper?

Why dont they make double sided photo paper?

Jonathan Wilson

This may or may not sound like a daft question...

But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

A friend of mine who owns a framing and small quantity print shop was
looking at purchasing a small ink-jet printer that would allow him to
produce business cards, double sided, to save him having to send the
proofs to another company for production.

we tried a couple of tests using the papers, samples, supplied by the
printing company but even though they looked like photo-paper the
surface was almost water proof causing the inks to just pool on the
surface and bleed into each other, a total mess. While the methods of
ink-jets and contact, litho, et al. printing are totaly different we
were supprised at how non-pourous the papers were.

On a personal note, I would love 2 types of photo paper, one that had
a backside similar to standard "photo copier" paper so notes or print
info could be written or printed on it; also so that I could create
double sided business cards and limited sets of postage cards.

It would also be nice to have high quality (not specifically up to
high gloss photo-paper) double sided paper to produce "glossy"
magazine quality prints on both sides.

If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance

--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com

Johnny Johnson

On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:58:49 +0100, Jonathan Wilson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This may or may not sound like a daft question...
>
>But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

Epson does - but it's matte, not glossy.

Later,
Johnny

Cooter

Take a look at Kodak Glossy Inkjet Paper. It is not specifically photo
paper, but that is one of the listed uses. It is 45 lb / 170 grams per
square meter (metre?). The package I am currently using states "Print on
both sides" and I have done so. I use it exclusively for printing photos
with good results. Usually comes 75 sheets per package at about 30 cents US
per sheet.

"Jonathan Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This may or may not sound like a daft question...
>
> But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.
>
> A friend of mine who owns a framing and small quantity print shop was
> looking at purchasing a small ink-jet printer that would allow him to
> produce business cards, double sided, to save him having to send the
> proofs to another company for production.
>
> we tried a couple of tests using the papers, samples, supplied by the
> printing company but even though they looked like photo-paper the
> surface was almost water proof causing the inks to just pool on the
> surface and bleed into each other, a total mess. While the methods of
> ink-jets and contact, litho, et al. printing are totaly different we
> were supprised at how non-pourous the papers were.
>
> On a personal note, I would love 2 types of photo paper, one that had
> a backside similar to standard "photo copier" paper so notes or print
> info could be written or printed on it; also so that I could create
> double sided business cards and limited sets of postage cards.
>
> It would also be nice to have high quality (not specifically up to
> high gloss photo-paper) double sided paper to produce "glossy"
> magazine quality prints on both sides.
>
> If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> --
> Jonathan Wilson.
> www.somethingerotic.com

Don

You may want to carry a business card made on an inkjet around in your
wallet for a few weeks before you do that. You'll probably find that the
ink comes off when you perspire, on the otheer cards in your wallet (or
pocket, or shirt....)

Don

"Jonathan Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This may or may not sound like a daft question...
>
> But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.
>
> A friend of mine who owns a framing and small quantity print shop was
> looking at purchasing a small ink-jet printer that would allow him to
> produce business cards, double sided, to save him having to send the
> proofs to another company for production.
>
> we tried a couple of tests using the papers, samples, supplied by the
> printing company but even though they looked like photo-paper the
> surface was almost water proof causing the inks to just pool on the
> surface and bleed into each other, a total mess. While the methods of
> ink-jets and contact, litho, et al. printing are totaly different we
> were supprised at how non-pourous the papers were.
>
> On a personal note, I would love 2 types of photo paper, one that had
> a backside similar to standard "photo copier" paper so notes or print
> info could be written or printed on it; also so that I could create
> double sided business cards and limited sets of postage cards.
>
> It would also be nice to have high quality (not specifically up to
> high gloss photo-paper) double sided paper to produce "glossy"
> magazine quality prints on both sides.
>
> If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> --
> Jonathan Wilson.
> www.somethingerotic.com

Lung Fish

See http://www.redriverpaper.com

I am not sure of their shipping to the UK, but
http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/gloss.htm has three types of 2-sided
gloss papers.

I have used them and had no problems.

Marvin Margoshes

"Jonathan Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This may or may not sound like a daft question...
>
> But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

Kodak, at least, does. CAT 112 4346.

> A friend of mine who owns a framing and small quantity print shop was
> looking at purchasing a small ink-jet printer that would allow him to
> produce business cards, double sided, to save him having to send the
> proofs to another company for production.
>
> we tried a couple of tests using the papers, samples, supplied by the
> printing company but even though they looked like photo-paper the
> surface was almost water proof causing the inks to just pool on the
> surface and bleed into each other, a total mess. While the methods of
> ink-jets and contact, litho, et al. printing are totaly different we
> were supprised at how non-pourous the papers were.
>
> On a personal note, I would love 2 types of photo paper, one that had
> a backside similar to standard "photo copier" paper so notes or print
> info could be written or printed on it; also so that I could create
> double sided business cards and limited sets of postage cards.
>
> It would also be nice to have high quality (not specifically up to
> high gloss photo-paper) double sided paper to produce "glossy"
> magazine quality prints on both sides.
>
> If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> --
> Jonathan Wilson.
> www.somethingerotic.com

Ian Stirling

Don <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You may want to carry a business card made on an inkjet around in your
> wallet for a few weeks before you do that. You'll probably find that the
> ink comes off when you perspire, on the otheer cards in your wallet (or
> pocket, or shirt....)

Lamination.

Jim Townsend

omit wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:58:49 +0100, Jonathan Wilson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>This may or may not sound like a daft question...
>>
>>But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

> Epson does - but it's matte, not glossy.

I had a 10 pack of HP 2 sided paper.. It was glossy one side, and
matte on the other.. P/N C1846-60001

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jonathan Wilson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This may or may not sound like a daft question...
>
> But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.
>
> A friend of mine who owns a framing and small quantity print shop was
> looking at purchasing a small ink-jet printer that would allow him to
> produce business cards, double sided, to save him having to send the
> proofs to another company for production.
>
> we tried a couple of tests using the papers, samples, supplied by the
> printing company but even though they looked like photo-paper the
> surface was almost water proof causing the inks to just pool on the
> surface and bleed into each other, a total mess. While the methods of
> ink-jets and contact, litho, et al. printing are totaly different we
> were supprised at how non-pourous the papers were.
>
> On a personal note, I would love 2 types of photo paper, one that had
> a backside similar to standard "photo copier" paper so notes or print
> info could be written or printed on it; also so that I could create
> double sided business cards and limited sets of postage cards.
>
> It would also be nice to have high quality (not specifically up to
> high gloss photo-paper) double sided paper to produce "glossy"
> magazine quality prints on both sides.
>
> If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.
>
> Thanks in advance

Tetenal

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Peter

Hello Jonathan Wilson,

You wrote:

>This may or may not sound like a daft question...
>
>But why dont they make double sided photo quality paper.

>If anyone knows of any suppliers (UK) I would appreciate the help.

Might not be quite up to the quality you are looking for but give this a
try:

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_2950.html

Kodak KO8077448 Picture Paper A4 Gloss 190g/m

unbeatable have the best price I have ever found, but are out of stock a
lot, so I order well in advance of requiring. If you dont mind paying a
higher price just to try it out, it is widely available in the UK.

Regards,
--
Peter