Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ocr from digital camera

ocr from digital camera

Ed Kearns

I have a G3 iMac, running os 9.2.1, on which I use OmniPage Pro 5.0. It
needs a TIFF file for OCR. I have a flatbed scanner, and its images are read
readily by OmniPage. but when I tried to use a digital camera to input text,
then convert them from JPEG to 1-bit TIFF, the TIFF files I get aren't
readable by OmniPage. Has anyone worked out a way to do this?
Ed

orion

"Ed Kearns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BCD7D226.98D3%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a G3 iMac, running os 9.2.1, on which I use OmniPage Pro 5.0. It
> needs a TIFF file for OCR. I have a flatbed scanner, and its images are

read
> readily by OmniPage. but when I tried to use a digital camera to input

text,
> then convert them from JPEG to 1-bit TIFF, the TIFF files I get aren't
> readable by OmniPage. Has anyone worked out a way to do this?
> Ed

Just a guess , I don't know for sure, but isn't OCR software critical on DPI
and the images needs to be just black or white ie 2bits, so I think you'll
need a bit of playing around in Paintshop Pro or other iamge editor...

Ron Hunter

Ed Kearns wrote:

> I have a G3 iMac, running os 9.2.1, on which I use OmniPage Pro 5.0. It
> needs a TIFF file for OCR. I have a flatbed scanner, and its images are read
> readily by OmniPage. but when I tried to use a digital camera to input text,
> then convert them from JPEG to 1-bit TIFF, the TIFF files I get aren't
> readable by OmniPage. Has anyone worked out a way to do this?
> Ed

Perhaps the problem is the 1 bit TIFF format. It will make a larger
file, but try using the normal TIFF format. That's what I have done,
and it works fine with an old copy of Textbridge Pro.

Ron Hunter

orion wrote:

> "Ed Kearns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BCD7D226.98D3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have a G3 iMac, running os 9.2.1, on which I use OmniPage Pro 5.0. It
>>needs a TIFF file for OCR. I have a flatbed scanner, and its images are

> read
>
>>readily by OmniPage. but when I tried to use a digital camera to input

> text,
>
>>then convert them from JPEG to 1-bit TIFF, the TIFF files I get aren't
>>readable by OmniPage. Has anyone worked out a way to do this?
>>Ed
>>

> Just a guess , I don't know for sure, but isn't OCR software critical on DPI
> and the images needs to be just black or white ie 2bits, so I think you'll
> need a bit of playing around in Paintshop Pro or other iamge editor...

NOT. Omnipage will handle text conversion on pages with background
patterns, colors, and other distractions.

Marvin Margoshes

"Ed Kearns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BCD7D226.98D3%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a G3 iMac, running os 9.2.1, on which I use OmniPage Pro 5.0. It
> needs a TIFF file for OCR. I have a flatbed scanner, and its images are

read
> readily by OmniPage. but when I tried to use a digital camera to input

text,
> then convert them from JPEG to 1-bit TIFF, the TIFF files I get aren't
> readable by OmniPage. Has anyone worked out a way to do this?
> Ed

I had some tricky OCR jpbs to do, so I just upgraded to Readiris Pro 9. It
wants 300 dpi input, but isn't fussy about color vs greyscale. You can try
it out by downloading the demo of the Mac version at
http://www.irislink.com/opt/uk/produ...mac/index.html. The price
is quite reasonable for what it does, and by shopping around I found a $30
rebate.