Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Image Stabilization - What Lens Has This for D70

Image Stabilization - What Lens Has This for D70

Alan Wonsowski

I recently learned from this newsgroup that the new Nikon D70 camera
does not have an image stabilization feature but that the feature is a
component of the lens. I am an amateur photographer considering the
D70 but image stabilization is important to me. I like to shoot
landscapes, portraits, nature shots with zoom feature, indoor flash,
and people in motion. Does the 28 -70 zoom lens have this feature?
What would be a good lens that would provide what I am looking for?

Thanks,
Alan

Bowzre

Nikon offers three (I think) lenses with their version of image
stabilization, known as VR (Vibration Reduction). They are the 24-120 AF-S
VR, the 80-400, and the 70-200 zooms. The 28-70 does not offer VR.

"Alan Wonsowski" <awonsowatattglobal.network@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently learned from this newsgroup that the new Nikon D70 camera
> does not have an image stabilization feature but that the feature is a
> component of the lens. I am an amateur photographer considering the
> D70 but image stabilization is important to me. I like to shoot
> landscapes, portraits, nature shots with zoom feature, indoor flash,
> and people in motion. Does the 28 -70 zoom lens have this feature?
> What would be a good lens that would provide what I am looking for?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

adm

"Alan Wonsowski" <awonsowatattglobal.network@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently learned from this newsgroup that the new Nikon D70 camera
> does not have an image stabilization feature but that the feature is a
> component of the lens. I am an amateur photographer considering the
> D70 but image stabilization is important to me. I like to shoot
> landscapes, portraits, nature shots with zoom feature, indoor flash,
> and people in motion. Does the 28 -70 zoom lens have this feature?
> What would be a good lens that would provide what I am looking for?

To be honest, the VR (vibration reduction) feature is more appropriate to
long lenses that are more prone to blurring due to camera shake. For most of
what you do, a non VR lens should be fine - it's really only the zoom nature
shots that you might need VR for.

You could look at the 18-70mm DX lens that is available as a kit with the
D70 as it is apparently a pretty nice lens. If you need a faster lens than
this, you could move up to the Pro standard AF-S 28-70mm f2.8 lens,
although this is a pricey lens and isn't VR anyway. A cheaper alternative
(and easy to find used) is the AF 28-80 f/2.8 - this should be fast enough
for most of your requirements without needing to resort to VR.

For longer shots, the AF-S VR 70-200mm f2.8 would be ideal. Again - it's
expensive though.

Chris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, adm <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes
>To be honest, the VR (vibration reduction) feature is more appropriate
>to long lenses that are more prone to blurring due to camera shake. For
>most of what you do, a non VR lens should be fine - it's really only
>the zoom nature shots that you might need VR for.

I, too, was wondering about VR for portraiture indoors without flash.
Is it not worth bothering then?
If so, that will save a lot of money!
BTW if you *do* use VR, what sort of shutter speeds can you use?
Fifth of a second at 80mm?
--
Chris

Chuck

Hi,

From a previous post about the D70 and the IS...

Many cameras has the IS inside the camera , not in the lenses:

The FZ10 stabilizer is inside the camera (see
www.panasonic.ca , excellent flash animation).

Minolta Dimage A1: "(most importantly image stabilization (called 'Anti
Shake') thanks to a CCD which can move on x and y axis. This innovative
approach to image stabilization means that you can use a normal lens system
and put all the complexity of shake compensation within the camera body (how
effective it is we will only be able to report in a full review)."
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagea1/

Same for the Canon S1 IS: "Above you can see the actual image stabilizer
module used in the S1 IS, it sits at the rear of the lens and moves to
counteracts vibration or movement of the camera which is especially useful
at telephoto focal lengths."
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canons1is/

The next SLR from Minolta will also have an anti shake behind the lense:
Konica Minolta introduced several products including the eight megapixel
Anti-Shake equipped DiMAGE A2, the ten times optical zoom four megapixel
DiMAGE Z2. But perhaps their proudest moment is the development announcement
of the Maxxum 7 Digital SLR, with a six megapixel APS sized sensor which is
also stabilized from motion blur by Minolta's Anti-Shake system.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...onica_Minolta/

Ill probably wait for the Maxxum 7 ...

Bill Hilton

>From: Chris nospam@[127.0.0.1]

>BTW if you *do* use VR, what sort of shutter speeds can you use?
>Fifth of a second at 80mm?

The Nikon VR supposedly filters out up to the equivalent of three stops of
camera shake. The general rule is 1/focal length for a steady shot (many
people of course will do better or worse than this) so figure 1/90th sec for a
sharp hand-held image at 80 mm ... so if you're getting 3 extra stops with VR
you'd expect 1/8 - 1/15th sec would still be sharp.

I have this feature on several Canon lenses (IS) and it works great. I'd never
buy another telephoto without it. It would still be handy on a shorter lens if
you expect to hand-hold at slow shutter speeds.

Bill

adm

"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, adm <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writes
> >To be honest, the VR (vibration reduction) feature is more appropriate
> >to long lenses that are more prone to blurring due to camera shake. For
> >most of what you do, a non VR lens should be fine - it's really only
> >the zoom nature shots that you might need VR for.

> I, too, was wondering about VR for portraiture indoors without flash.
> Is it not worth bothering then?
> If so, that will save a lot of money!
> BTW if you *do* use VR, what sort of shutter speeds can you use?
> Fifth of a second at 80mm?

I have no experience of the VR lenses other than wanting the 70-200mm VR !

However, i would have thought that a faster prime lens (85mm f1.8 ?) might
be a better bet for portraits. I'm also not sure whether anyone can sit
really still for a fifth of a second - you might end up with more blur from
the subject moving than you'd have got from camera shake anyway !

I think it's all a moot point as Nikon don't make many VR lenses, and the
ones that they do are all long focal lengths. I'm saving my pennies for the
70-200mm VR..... and as I'm off to China on Friday, I may even pick it up
there.....

David Dyer-Bennet

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)dy (Bill Hilton) writes:

>>From: Chris nospam@[127.0.0.1]

>>BTW if you *do* use VR, what sort of shutter speeds can you use?
>>Fifth of a second at 80mm?

> The Nikon VR supposedly filters out up to the equivalent of three stops of
> camera shake. The general rule is 1/focal length for a steady shot (many
> people of course will do better or worse than this) so figure 1/90th sec for a
> sharp hand-held image at 80 mm ... so if you're getting 3 extra stops with VR
> you'd expect 1/8 - 1/15th sec would still be sharp.

And, for most people shots, you're starting to lose quite a few to
*subject* motion at that kind of speed.
Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>,<http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>

Tony Spadaro

Nikon lenses with IS are Called VR.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Alan Wonsowski" <awonsowatattglobal.network@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently learned from this newsgroup that the new Nikon D70 camera
> does not have an image stabilization feature but that the feature is a
> component of the lens. I am an amateur photographer considering the
> D70 but image stabilization is important to me. I like to shoot
> landscapes, portraits, nature shots with zoom feature, indoor flash,
> and people in motion. Does the 28 -70 zoom lens have this feature?
> What would be a good lens that would provide what I am looking for?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

Linda_N

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> From a previous post about the D70 and the IS...
>
> Many cameras has the IS inside the camera , not in the lenses:
>
> The FZ10 stabilizer is inside the camera (see
> www.panasonic.ca , excellent flash animation).
>
> Minolta Dimage A1: "(most importantly image stabilization (called 'Anti
> Shake') thanks to a CCD which can move on x and y axis. This innovative
> approach to image stabilization means that you can use a normal lens

system
> and put all the complexity of shake compensation within the camera body

(how
> effective it is we will only be able to report in a full review)."
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagea1/
>
> Same for the Canon S1 IS: "Above you can see the actual image stabilizer
> module used in the S1 IS, it sits at the rear of the lens and moves to
> counteracts vibration or movement of the camera which is especially useful
> at telephoto focal lengths."
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canons1is/
>
> The next SLR from Minolta will also have an anti shake behind the lense:
> Konica Minolta introduced several products including the eight megapixel
> Anti-Shake equipped DiMAGE A2, the ten times optical zoom four megapixel
> DiMAGE Z2. But perhaps their proudest moment is the development

announcement
> of the Maxxum 7 Digital SLR, with a six megapixel APS sized sensor which

is
> also stabilized from motion blur by Minolta's Anti-Shake system.
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma...onica_Minolta/

It sounds like you are saying the DiMage Z2 has IS.

Linda