Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What they think of Preddy

What they think of Preddy

Mick Sterbs

I quote from the Sigma SLR Talk forum at dpreview.com (in a thread called
Ken Rockwell's D70 review just drives me mad!!!):

"Alas, GP (alias for sg) has poisoned the well leaving no room for
reasonable discussion"

"Know thine enemy. This is complicated because there are *two* major
enemies: Preddy and those who oppose him. Preddy has demonstrated he is a
liar; you need to keep your arguments separate from his or you will be
guilty by association. Honestly, in r.p.d., anything positive you say about
the SD-series will initially be assumed to be from yet another Preddy
personality."

"If George Preddy really is gung ho about the Foveon and SD10 I wish he'd
stick to what he knows. His posting of his misunderstanding of the
technology only succeeds in making himself sound like an idiot. However, if
he likes the SD10, he certainly isn't a complete one!"
"I frequent another forum where there really is a troll who goes by the
handle 'GP' but he is more technically savvy than George Preddy so perhaps
it's a coincidence?"

Hmmmm.....

Are we close to identifying Georgette I wonder?

Thad

Mick Sterbs wrote:

> Hmmmm.....
>
> Are we close to identifying Georgette I wonder?

He aint from Korea or Texas, that's for sure. The 'George Preddy'
character was obviously created by an RPD regular..(one of the most
outspoken Preddy-bashers)..compare range of posting hours, obsessive
qualities, and others factors....which of the top Preddy-bashers appears
to be as obsessed with Preddy as Preddy is with Foveon?).

There was an attempt to name a certain "Steve R. Giovenella" as the real
man behind "George Preddy", but a little research shows that Steve R.
Giovenella is the name of yet another military pilot..

http://members.aol.com/rsacchi001/gulf/ground.html (see "A Strike at
Belgrade")

Thad

Thad wrote:

> (see "A Strike at
> Belgrade")

Whoops! Wrong URL. Sorry.

http://www.afa.org/magazine/June2000/0600silver.asp

gsum

George is a highly articulate troll who knows exactly which buttons
to press to spin people but I can't imagine that many of us take
him sufficiently seriously for it to have any impression on Sigma's sales.

You're right about 'guilt by assosiation'. Many posts are over critical
of Sigma as they are in response to GPs attacks. Most of us would
probably agree that Sigma gear is reasonable given the limitations
imposed by its lower price when compared to Canon or Nikon.

Graham

"Mick Sterbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I quote from the Sigma SLR Talk forum at dpreview.com (in a thread called
> Ken Rockwell's D70 review just drives me mad!!!):
>
> "Alas, GP (alias for sg) has poisoned the well leaving no room for
> reasonable discussion"
>
> "Know thine enemy. This is complicated because there are *two* major
> enemies: Preddy and those who oppose him. Preddy has demonstrated he is a
> liar; you need to keep your arguments separate from his or you will be
> guilty by association. Honestly, in r.p.d., anything positive you say

about
> the SD-series will initially be assumed to be from yet another Preddy
> personality."
>
> "If George Preddy really is gung ho about the Foveon and SD10 I wish he'd
> stick to what he knows. His posting of his misunderstanding of the
> technology only succeeds in making himself sound like an idiot. However,

if
> he likes the SD10, he certainly isn't a complete one!"
> "I frequent another forum where there really is a troll who goes by the
> handle 'GP' but he is more technically savvy than George Preddy so perhaps
> it's a coincidence?"
>
> Hmmmm.....
>
> Are we close to identifying Georgette I wonder?

Tony Spadaro

Sigma is not enough lower in price to make up for the poor construction. I
never recommend that one buy poorly made junk - especially poorly made junk
that is going to cost more in the long run.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"gsum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40b1cb93$(E-Mail Removed)...
> George is a highly articulate troll who knows exactly which buttons
> to press to spin people but I can't imagine that many of us take
> him sufficiently seriously for it to have any impression on Sigma's sales.
>
> You're right about 'guilt by assosiation'. Many posts are over critical
> of Sigma as they are in response to GPs attacks. Most of us would
> probably agree that Sigma gear is reasonable given the limitations
> imposed by its lower price when compared to Canon or Nikon.
>
> Graham
>

> "Mick Sterbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I quote from the Sigma SLR Talk forum at dpreview.com (in a thread

called
> > Ken Rockwell's D70 review just drives me mad!!!):
> >
> > "Alas, GP (alias for sg) has poisoned the well leaving no room for
> > reasonable discussion"
> >
> > "Know thine enemy. This is complicated because there are *two* major
> > enemies: Preddy and those who oppose him. Preddy has demonstrated he is

> > liar; you need to keep your arguments separate from his or you will be
> > guilty by association. Honestly, in r.p.d., anything positive you say

> about
> > the SD-series will initially be assumed to be from yet another Preddy
> > personality."
> >
> > "If George Preddy really is gung ho about the Foveon and SD10 I wish

he'd
> > stick to what he knows. His posting of his misunderstanding of the
> > technology only succeeds in making himself sound like an idiot. However,

> if
> > he likes the SD10, he certainly isn't a complete one!"
> > "I frequent another forum where there really is a troll who goes by the
> > handle 'GP' but he is more technically savvy than George Preddy so

perhaps
> > it's a coincidence?"
> >
> > Hmmmm.....
> >
> > Are we close to identifying Georgette I wonder?

Searching_ut

"Thad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> There was an attempt to name a certain "Steve R. Giovenella" as the real
> man behind "George Preddy", but a little research shows that Steve R.
> Giovenella is the name of yet another military pilot..

It's easy to quickly discount "George" being Steve R. Giovenella. Once I did
a quick check however, I pretty much changed my mind on that issue.

Scan back on SG's posts, especially those in the Amiga forums and you'll
find he often claims to be a military pilot, and has at least some knowledge
of aircraft. The knowledge could have been obtained almost anywhere and SG
isn't known for being factual, but when coupled with the ISP data he uses to
make the posts, it makes you wonder. Seems to match the locations where
Steve R. Giovenella is assigned during those time periods.

Check some of the assorted Amiga websites, again, ISP geographic areas match
and you'll also find that the e-mail address the individual uses is a real
e-mail address for Steve R. Giovenella, as you can verify in several places
such as:

http://www.usafa88.com/email_names.asp?Lname=G

That's just a real quick and dirty overview some of the data available. From
what I've seen, if it really isn't Steve making the posts, it's someone with
a lot of computer skill going to great lengths to make it appear to be
Steve. It would also have to be someone with the perseverance to stick to
the fakery for many years.

For what it's worth

Jeff

DJ

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:21:59 +0100, "gsum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>George is a highly articulate troll who knows exactly which buttons
>to press to spin people but I can't imagine that many of us take
>him sufficiently seriously for it to have any impression on Sigma's sales.

I imagine he's had a significant impact on Sigma sales - negative.

>You're right about 'guilt by assosiation'. Many posts are over critical
>of Sigma as they are in response to GPs attacks. Most of us would
>probably agree that Sigma gear is reasonable given the limitations
>imposed by its lower price when compared to Canon or Nikon.

Not after George's rants!

>Graham

Steven M. Scharf

"gsum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:<40b1cb93$(E-Mail Removed)>...

<snip>

> You're right about 'guilt by assosiation'. Many posts are over critical
> of Sigma as they are in response to GPs attacks. Most of us would
> probably agree that Sigma gear is reasonable given the limitations
> imposed by its lower price when compared to Canon or Nikon.

The Sigma SD9 & SD10 are not taken seriously by an photographer, pro,
amateur, or consumer, and the reviews of these cameras have sufficiently
informed the public about the issues of noise, resolution, etc.. "George"
probably hasn't hurt sales by his lies, since they are so transparent.

Where he _may_ have had some small impact is in hurting Sigma's bread and
butter lens business. Prior to all these threads, I believe that many people
viewed Sigma lenses as less expensive alternatives to Canon and Nikon
lenses, sacrificing a little optical and build quality in exchange for a
lower price. These threads have re-confirmed these beliefs, but they added a
critical new piece of information that many people were not aware of--the
incompatibility of many Sigma lenses with newer Canon bodies. Any Canon
owner reading these threads would be extremely wary of purchasing Sigma
lenses, especially because you usually have to buy them sight-unseen from
on-line retailers. And Canon has the lions share of the digital SLR market
at this time.

Whether it was "George's" intention to damage Sigma in this way is unknown.
It is unclear what his motivation has been. He may have a grudge against
Sigma, he may be a Canon stockholder, he may have some relationship to
Foveon.

Georgey Predy

Im a jerk im a jerk im a jerk im a jerk
ok Canon - Nikon Rule sd10 is no better than D 70