Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pentax Optio S40 Excessive Battery Usage

Pentax Optio S40 Excessive Battery Usage

Tom

Just bought the Pentax S40 (which I may return). The fact that
standard AA alkaline batteries could be used (esp. in a pinch) was a
drawing card.

The problem is that the AA alkaline batteries become depleted
extremely quickly after taking only 15-20 shots (tried 3 sets). LCD on
and only occasional flash. Manual says batteries should provide 50
shots with 50% flash.

I measured the voltage on these "depleted" batteries and found it to
be 1.46/1.47 volts dc. (new they measure about 1.5 volts). For most
electronic usage these batteries would still have plenty of life left.

Has anyone else had a problem with battery usage. I'm not sure if this
is a problem specific with this camera. Don't want to invest in
lithium or rechargeable nicad AA batteries if the camera doesn't live
up to its published battery life specs.

Ken Weitzel

Tom wrote:
> Just bought the Pentax S40 (which I may return). The fact that
> standard AA alkaline batteries could be used (esp. in a pinch) was a
> drawing card.
>
> The problem is that the AA alkaline batteries become depleted
> extremely quickly after taking only 15-20 shots (tried 3 sets). LCD on
> and only occasional flash. Manual says batteries should provide 50
> shots with 50% flash.
>
> I measured the voltage on these "depleted" batteries and found it to
> be 1.46/1.47 volts dc. (new they measure about 1.5 volts). For most
> electronic usage these batteries would still have plenty of life left.
>
> Has anyone else had a problem with battery usage. I'm not sure if this
> is a problem specific with this camera. Don't want to invest in
> lithium or rechargeable nicad AA batteries if the camera doesn't live
> up to its published battery life specs.

Hi Tom...

Treat yourself to a set of NiMh batteries (Nickel metal hydride,
NOT nickel cadmium) and a charger. You'll be amazed at how
inexpensive they are, and how incredibly much longer they
last than alkalines.

And don't throw away those alkalines that you have used;
there's still more than plenty left in them for use in
clocks, radios, flashlights, the kids toys, etc.

Take care.

Ken

Joseph Meehan

Tom wrote:
> Just bought the Pentax S40 (which I may return). The fact that
> standard AA alkaline batteries could be used (esp. in a pinch) was a
> drawing card.

Alkaline batteries are a poor choice for any digital camera. They just
don't hold up. They work but only for a short while.

> The problem is that the AA alkaline batteries become depleted
> extremely quickly after taking only 15-20 shots (tried 3 sets). LCD on
> and only occasional flash. Manual says batteries should provide 50
> shots with 50% flash.
>
> I measured the voltage on these "depleted" batteries and found it to
> be 1.46/1.47 volts dc. (new they measure about 1.5 volts). For most
> electronic usage these batteries would still have plenty of life left.

Measuring static voltage is not much good for a digital camera. A bad
alkaline may read higher static voltage than a good freshly charged NiMh
battery, yet the NiMh will work fine.

> Has anyone else had a problem with battery usage. I'm not sure if this
> is a problem specific with this camera. Don't want to invest in
> lithium or rechargeable nicad AA batteries if the camera doesn't live
> up to its published battery life specs.

None of the above. We have all earned (and I'll bet your manual
suggest) NiMh are the way to go.

Get a set of NiMh with a smart charger. Smart chargers charge a number
of cells at the same time, but the customize the charge for each cell.
Normally they have an indicator light for each cell. The non-smart chargers
generally have a light for each pair of cells.

It takes a couple of cycles for the NiMh cells to get full capacity. If
after using them and re-charging them a few time, you still are not getting
the expected results, consider returning the camera. Some cameras have been
known to eat batteries or have the low battery trigger set too sensitive.
Having the camera replaced or fixed will take care of that.

I'm betting on it being nothing more than the wrong type of batteries.
Alks are ok for emergencies, but not everyday use.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Tom

Thanks for the replies. I am in the process of using rechageable 2100
ma NiMH batteries and will see how they work out.
Tom

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<zoksc.3553$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Tom wrote:
> > Just bought the Pentax S40 (which I may return). The fact that
> > standard AA alkaline batteries could be used (esp. in a pinch) was a
> > drawing card.

> Alkaline batteries are a poor choice for any digital camera. They just
> don't hold up. They work but only for a short while.
>

> > The problem is that the AA alkaline batteries become depleted
> > extremely quickly after taking only 15-20 shots (tried 3 sets). LCD on
> > and only occasional flash. Manual says batteries should provide 50
> > shots with 50% flash.
> >
> > I measured the voltage on these "depleted" batteries and found it to
> > be 1.46/1.47 volts dc. (new they measure about 1.5 volts). For most
> > electronic usage these batteries would still have plenty of life left.

> Measuring static voltage is not much good for a digital camera. A bad
> alkaline may read higher static voltage than a good freshly charged NiMh
> battery, yet the NiMh will work fine.
>

> > Has anyone else had a problem with battery usage. I'm not sure if this
> > is a problem specific with this camera. Don't want to invest in
> > lithium or rechargeable nicad AA batteries if the camera doesn't live
> > up to its published battery life specs.

> None of the above. We have all earned (and I'll bet your manual
> suggest) NiMh are the way to go.
>
> Get a set of NiMh with a smart charger. Smart chargers charge a number
> of cells at the same time, but the customize the charge for each cell.
> Normally they have an indicator light for each cell. The non-smart chargers
> generally have a light for each pair of cells.
>
> It takes a couple of cycles for the NiMh cells to get full capacity. If
> after using them and re-charging them a few time, you still are not getting
> the expected results, consider returning the camera. Some cameras have been
> known to eat batteries or have the low battery trigger set too sensitive.
> Having the camera replaced or fixed will take care of that.
>
> I'm betting on it being nothing more than the wrong type of batteries.
> Alks are ok for emergencies, but not everyday use.

jjww

Hi,
This week a I bought a Pentax Optio S40 too and Im getting the same
problem.

Using NiMH batteries the problem solved?

Thanks
JW

nospam@nospam.com

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:17:08 -0500, "jjww" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>This week a I bought a Pentax Optio S40 too and Im getting the same
>problem.
>
>Using NiMH batteries the problem solved?
>
>Thanks
>JW

There's also a lithium-ion option for the S40. It's the CR-V3
Lithium-ion Battery. Lithium-ion has some advantages over NiMH,
though I don't off the top of my head remember what they are.