Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > HTML posts to newsgroups

HTML posts to newsgroups

Irene Kraus

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to
find anything on this topic when searching Google groups.

In brief, I am using Thunderbird to connect to the newsgroups for my
online classes where posts are expected to be in HTML. (University of
Phoenix (UOP) Online, in case anyone's interested.) Is there a way to
set something in the properties for a newsgroup to automatically allow
HTML posts? Thanks!

I'm going to put together a tip page for other students on how to use
Thunderbird. (The university wants everyone to use OE, but I'm not very
fond of it!) There are a few challenges involved, but it really isn't
that hard to do.

Hendrik Maryns

Irene Kraus uitte de volgende tekst op 23/11/2005 17:49:
> Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to
> find anything on this topic when searching Google groups.
>
> In brief, I am using Thunderbird to connect to the newsgroups for my
> online classes where posts are expected to be in HTML. (University of
> Phoenix (UOP) Online, in case anyone's interested.) Is there a way to
> set something in the properties for a newsgroup to automatically allow
> HTML posts? Thanks!

No, but there is such an option for servers. You probably need to
switch this for the whole server, so this shouldn’t be a problem. Go to
news server, there is a checkbox there.

HTH, H.

--
Hendrik Maryns

==================
www.lieverleven.be
http://aouw.org

Irene Kraus

Hendrik Maryns wrote:
> No, but there is such an option for servers. You probably need to
> switch this for the whole server, so this shouldn’t be a problem. Go to
> news server, there is a checkbox there.

Correct, that does allow my posts to be composed as HTML. But, when I go
to send it, I still get a prompt to send as HTML or plain-text. I guess
because it isn't recognizing something (newsgroup? person posting
message?) as able to receive HTML messages.

If that is the problem, I try adding all my fellow students into my
address book, and set them all to accept HTML messages... Maybe that
will make that warning go away...

gwtc

Irene Kraus wrote:

> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
>
>>No, but there is such an option for servers. You probably need to
>>switch this for the whole server, so this shouldn’t be a problem. Go to
>>news server, there is a checkbox there.

> Correct, that does allow my posts to be composed as HTML. But, when I go
> to send it, I still get a prompt to send as HTML or plain-text. I guess
> because it isn't recognizing something (newsgroup? person posting
> message?) as able to receive HTML messages.
>
> If that is the problem, I try adding all my fellow students into my
> address book, and set them all to accept HTML messages... Maybe that
> will make that warning go away...

You have to set the global option, under Tools, Options, Composition,
down at the bottom it says Send and HTML Options. In the Send Options
button, change the setting there.

Moz Champion (Dan)

Irene Kraus wrote:
> Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to
> find anything on this topic when searching Google groups.
>
> In brief, I am using Thunderbird to connect to the newsgroups for my
> online classes where posts are expected to be in HTML. (University of
> Phoenix (UOP) Online, in case anyone's interested.) Is there a way to
> set something in the properties for a newsgroup to automatically allow
> HTML posts? Thanks!
>
> I'm going to put together a tip page for other students on how to use
> Thunderbird. (The university wants everyone to use OE, but I'm not very
> fond of it!) There are a few challenges involved, but it really isn't
> that hard to do.

Here's what I do
Only send HTML to newsgroups that accept such.

I compose my messages using the HTML composer and set the account that
way. I further set the HTML/Plain text option to 'Ask me'. I write the
message, and if there is any HTML in it, the option will come up asking
what to send, I then choose what is appropriate for the specific group
(mostly plain text but there are a few where HTML is welcome).

The settings
[Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Composition
under Send and HTML Options <Send Options>
set the top selection to <Ask me what to do>

In the specific news server account
-->Composition & Addressing
X Compose in HTML format

*varies by OS (Mac as above)