Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Correction: Canon A75 CF card memory size

Correction: Canon A75 CF card memory size

Engineer

Correction:
A short while ago I replied to a post on, IIRC, Canon CF card size and
stated (incorrectly) that the Canon A75 was sold in Canada with a "16
MB" CF card. This is NOT so - I should have checked my own new A75
first, but it was in the basement (my office is upstairs, two
flights.) Of course, it is sold here with the same 32 MB CF card
(called "high speed") as it is everywhere else (I presume.)

Apologies for misleading anyone, and to Canon Canada, I must have had
"16 MB" on the mind from another topic!

Regardless, I am now in the market for a couple of 256 MB CF cards at
12X speed, or better.

I still like the A75!

Cheers,

Roger

Dave Martindale

"Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Regardless, I am now in the market for a couple of 256 MB CF cards at
>12X speed, or better.

Are you sure you need fast CF cards? The camera has an internal buffer
that will absorb at least several frames as you shoot rapidly, then
write them to the card at its rate. A faster card will drain the buffer
faster, but unless you shoot bursts in continuous mode or movies, you
may never fill the buffer. In that case, card speed really doesn't
matter much.

By the way, Costco was selling 256 MB Sandisk CF cards for $64 as of a
few weeks ago.

Dave

Ron Hunter

Dave Martindale wrote:

> "Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>Regardless, I am now in the market for a couple of 256 MB CF cards at
>>12X speed, or better.

> Are you sure you need fast CF cards? The camera has an internal buffer
> that will absorb at least several frames as you shoot rapidly, then
> write them to the card at its rate. A faster card will drain the buffer
> faster, but unless you shoot bursts in continuous mode or movies, you
> may never fill the buffer. In that case, card speed really doesn't
> matter much.
>
> By the way, Costco was selling 256 MB Sandisk CF cards for $64 as of a
> few weeks ago.
>
> Dave

And it doesn't matter to you how long it takes to load the card into the
computer? What about review time? A faster card can make camera use
more pleasant, IF the camera is able to take advantage of it.

nixjunk

>> By the way, Costco was selling 256 MB Sandisk CF cards for $64 as of a
>> few weeks ago.
>>
>> Dave

That doesn't sound right. They have been selling them for around $45 for more
months. Did you mean C$? Best Buy recently had cards for I think US$35.

Dave Martindale

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>And it doesn't matter to you how long it takes to load the card into the
>computer? What about review time? A faster card can make camera use
>more pleasant, IF the camera is able to take advantage of it.

First, unless you're using a USB 2 high speed card reader plugged into a
USB 2 port on the computer, the card probably isn't limiting the read
speed anyway.

As it happens, I am using a USB 2 high speed reader, so the card speed
*does* affect the read time, and I still don't really care. I normally
unload cards at the end of the day when I'm not particularly in a rush.

Nor do I usually review images in the camera. I delete obvious failures
during the review period right after the image was shot, and leave the
rest for review on the computer. About the only time I use the review
function is when I'm showing what I've shot to someone else before
the images have been transferred.

And I've never used the high-speed shooting modes that take images
continuously, so I don't worry about filling up the buffer.

For me, I'd rather spend the same money on more bytes of CF card rather
than fewer bytes of the premium-price faster cards.

Dave

Dave Martindale

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ixjunk (nixjunk) writes:

>That doesn't sound right. They have been selling them for around $45 for more
>months. Did you mean C$? Best Buy recently had cards for I think US$35.

Yes, that's Canadian dollars. Both the person who started the thread
and I are in Canada, and that represents a good price for here. There
is no Best Buy. Low-overhead computer parts places sell 256 MB for $70,
and retail stores are at about $80. That's for garden-variety Sandisk
cards; the Sandisk Ultra or Lexar fast cards are considerably more
money.

Dave

Engineer

"Engineer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uB6sc.981$(E-Mail Removed)...

(snip)

> Regardless, I am now in the market for a couple of 256 MB CF cards

at
> 12X speed, or better.
>
> I still like the A75!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger

Many thanks for all the very useful information in this thread - much
appreciated!

Cheers,

Roger