Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minolta Dimage Xt indoor pics grainy

Minolta Dimage Xt indoor pics grainy

CZ

I need suggestions on how to improve indoor pics with this camera. I
switched from Auto ISO setting (which goes from 50 to 120 ) to a manual
setting of 400 ( max for this camera ) but indoor pics are sill grainy even
with all the lights on in the house. Pics in smaller rooms come out less
grainy than pics in larger rooms. For example a pic in a 25'x4' hallway came
out decent but a pic in a 25'x12' came out VERY grainy.

Thanks

CZ

Prometheus

In article <rL2sc.19873$(E-Mail Removed)> , CZ
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I need suggestions on how to improve indoor pics with this camera. I
>switched from Auto ISO setting (which goes from 50 to 120 ) to a manual
>setting of 400 ( max for this camera ) but indoor pics are sill grainy even
>with all the lights on in the house. Pics in smaller rooms come out less
>grainy than pics in larger rooms. For example a pic in a 25'x4' hallway came
>out decent but a pic in a 25'x12' came out VERY grainy.

If you use a higher speed there will be more noise, either get more
light or get a camera where the area of the individual pixels is
greater. You might be able to mask it with some post processing.
Incidentally I have an Xt and like it for its small size and accept that
it is not going to be as good as a larger camera.

--
Ian G8ILZ

Dan Wojciechowski

"CZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rL2sc.19873$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I need suggestions on how to improve indoor pics with this camera. I
> switched from Auto ISO setting (which goes from 50 to 120 ) to a manual
> setting of 400 ( max for this camera ) but indoor pics are sill grainy

even
> with all the lights on in the house. Pics in smaller rooms come out less
> grainy than pics in larger rooms. For example a pic in a 25'x4' hallway

came
> out decent but a pic in a 25'x12' came out VERY grainy.

CZ:

You are going the wrong way. } Higher ISO means more amplification on the
outputs of the sensors, which means that less light is needed to take the
picture,
which means the time the shutter is open can be less, which means less
motion
blur. BUT higher ISO typically means more digital noise.

So, to reduce digital noise, use a lower ISO and a longer open shutter.
This may
mean you'll need to use a tripod to get a sharp picture, since you will be
more
susceptible to camera shake.

Another alternative is to use a noise clean-up program. I rather like "Neat
Image",
which has a "free to use" version.

Good luck.

--