Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > connecting to the domain

connecting to the domain

Fernando

Hello,

I have a windows XP which I use to connect to the network using a wireless
access. This all works fine, I get the IP and everything seems to be up and
running. Once the connection has been stablished, is it possible to logon to
a Windows 2003 domain? If so, how?

I need a member of the staff to logon so she can have access to her profile
and departmental drives. Is this possible?

Thank you very much,

Fernando

Ryan Younger

This is possible, yes. One method would be to VPN into your corporate
domain if you have a RAS server.

You should take into account security concerns here however. If your
wireless network is not properly protected you could be opening a security
hole by accessing/authenticating to your company domain.

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

"Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have a windows XP which I use to connect to the network using a wireless
> access. This all works fine, I get the IP and everything seems to be up
> and running. Once the connection has been stablished, is it possible to
> logon to a Windows 2003 domain? If so, how?
>
> I need a member of the staff to logon so she can have access to her
> profile and departmental drives. Is this possible?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Fernando

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

"Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have a windows XP which I use to connect to the network using a wireless
> access. This all works fine, I get the IP and everything seems to be up
> and running. Once the connection has been stablished, is it possible to
> logon to a Windows 2003 domain? If so, how?
>
> I need a member of the staff to logon so she can have access to her
> profile and departmental drives. Is this possible?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Fernando

Short answer: yes.

Is this XP Pro or Home?
Is this computer in your office?
Is this wireless connection secured/encrypted at all?

PS: I don't think you really have a microsoft.com e-mail addy, right? I
suggest you change your posting e-mail address to something bogus
((E-Mail Removed)).

Fernando

Dear Lanwench,

Thank you for your answer!

It is a XP Por, the computer will be connecting to our internal network,
just using wireless instead of ethernet, and the wireless is encrypted.

PS.- Didn't even realise the email address which appear when I posted. I
might have done this ages ago who knows why. Thanks!

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<(E-Mail Removed) ahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a windows XP which I use to connect to the network using a
>> wireless
>> access. This all works fine, I get the IP and everything seems to be up
>> and running. Once the connection has been stablished, is it possible to
>> logon to a Windows 2003 domain? If so, how?
>>
>> I need a member of the staff to logon so she can have access to her
>> profile and departmental drives. Is this possible?
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>>
>> Fernando
>>

> Short answer: yes.
>
> Is this XP Pro or Home?
> Is this computer in your office?
> Is this wireless connection secured/encrypted at all?
>
> PS: I don't think you really have a microsoft.com e-mail addy, right? I
> suggest you change your posting e-mail address to something bogus
> ((E-Mail Removed)).

Fernando

Thanks Ryan,

I was actually trying to avoid using VPN. For some reason, my DHCP server,
which is the one which I will be using a a RAS server, loses connection when
I turn the Remote Acccess service on... If I plug a terminal everything
seems to be working fine, but I cannot ping it and I cannot do a remote
desktop to it. Weird, isn't it?

Fernnado.

"Ryan Younger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is possible, yes. One method would be to VPN into your corporate
> domain if you have a RAS server.
>
> You should take into account security concerns here however. If your
> wireless network is not properly protected you could be opening a security
> hole by accessing/authenticating to your company domain.
>

> --
> All the best,
>
> Ryan Younger.
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/ - Ryan's Wireless
> Networking Weblog
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a windows XP which I use to connect to the network using a
>> wireless access. This all works fine, I get the IP and everything seems
>> to be up and running. Once the connection has been stablished, is it
>> possible to logon to a Windows 2003 domain? If so, how?
>>
>> I need a member of the staff to logon so she can have access to her
>> profile and departmental drives. Is this possible?
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>>
>> Fernando

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

"Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Lanwench,
>
> Thank you for your answer!
>
> It is a XP Por, the computer will be connecting to our internal network,
> just using wireless instead of ethernet, and the wireless is encrypted.

Using what? WEP is perhaps better than nothing, but not by much, anymore.
WPA is a lot better. I don't know what your budget is, but RADIUS is a good
idea.
What kind of VPN options do you have? What kind of wireless access point is
this?

You can do this regardless, even with a wide-open access point, but be very
very careful unless you've taken serious precautions.

> PS.- Didn't even realise the email address which appear when I posted. I
> might have done this ages ago who knows why. Thanks!

No worries.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <(E-Mail Removed) ahoo.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a windows XP which I use to connect to the network using a
>>> wireless
>>> access. This all works fine, I get the IP and everything seems to be up
>>> and running. Once the connection has been stablished, is it possible to
>>> logon to a Windows 2003 domain? If so, how?
>>>
>>> I need a member of the staff to logon so she can have access to her
>>> profile and departmental drives. Is this possible?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much,
>>>
>>> Fernando
>>>

>> Short answer: yes.
>>
>> Is this XP Pro or Home?
>> Is this computer in your office?
>> Is this wireless connection secured/encrypted at all?
>>
>> PS: I don't think you really have a microsoft.com e-mail addy, right? I
>> suggest you change your posting e-mail address to something bogus
>> ((E-Mail Removed)).

Fernando

Hi Lanwech,

I have a WX1200 wireless switch with different access points spread out in
the College and encrypted with WPA and 802.1x access. This is the way it
works:

1. The WX1200 is configure to send the connection request to the IAS
(radius) server.
2. The radius server checks the credentials entered by the end user against
the active directory.
3. If the user happens to belong to the wireless group, in the active
directory, then the access is granted
4. An IP will be assigned by the DHCP server.

All these is working fine and I can manage to connect to the network. I'm
only one step away of allowing, certain users, to logon in the domain. I'm
trying my best not to use VPN and see whether there are other alternatives.

Thanks,

Fernando.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<(E-Mail Removed) ahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dear Lanwench,
>>
>> Thank you for your answer!
>>
>> It is a XP Por, the computer will be connecting to our internal network,
>> just using wireless instead of ethernet, and the wireless is encrypted.

> Using what? WEP is perhaps better than nothing, but not by much, anymore.
> WPA is a lot better. I don't know what your budget is, but RADIUS is a
> good idea.
> What kind of VPN options do you have? What kind of wireless access point
> is this?
>
> You can do this regardless, even with a wide-open access point, but be
> very very careful unless you've taken serious precautions.
>

>> PS.- Didn't even realise the email address which appear when I posted. I
>> might have done this ages ago who knows why. Thanks!

> No worries.
>>

>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <(E-Mail Removed) ahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Fernando" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Short answer: yes.
>>>
>>> Is this XP Pro or Home?
>>> Is this computer in your office?
>>> Is this wireless connection secured/encrypted at all?
>>>
>>> PS: I don't think you really have a microsoft.com e-mail addy, right? I
>>> suggest you change your posting e-mail address to something bogus
>>> ((E-Mail Removed)).

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Fernando <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Hi Lanwech,
>
> I have a WX1200 wireless switch with different access points spread
> out in the College and encrypted with WPA and 802.1x access. This is
> the way it works:
>
> 1. The WX1200 is configure to send the connection request to the IAS
> (radius) server.
> 2. The radius server checks the credentials entered by the end user
> against the active directory.
> 3. If the user happens to belong to the wireless group, in the active
> directory, then the access is granted
> 4. An IP will be assigned by the DHCP server.
>
> All these is working fine and I can manage to connect to the network.
> I'm only one step away of allowing, certain users, to logon in the
> domain. I'm trying my best not to use VPN and see whether there are
> other alternatives.

Your config sounds fine, from what I can tell. What errors do you get when
you try to join them to the domain?
Is the DHCP config set up to assign the internal/AD DNS server's IP *only*
for DNS? That's critical.