Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > DHCP not getting address

DHCP not getting address

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

I've got a windows XP home PC. It's all up-to-date with patches, AV and
firewall.

I've got a cable modem (NTL Ireland).

Now, the modem works fine. I can connect it to a laptop and it gets an IP
address and connection.

On the PC it won't seem to pick up an IP address.

I've tried -

c:\>ipconfig /release
c:\>ipconfig /renew

It doesn't get an address. Sometimes it does get an address, but this is
not within the range used by the ISP, and has no gateway nor DNS.

I did a system restore back to a time when everything worked fine.

I installed newer drivers for the network card (Intel Pro/100)

Nothing seems to work. I've powered off the PC and modem and restarted them.

Anyone have any ideas? Both the ISP and PC support are confused and blame
each other.

Ryan Younger

You may find the following NTL member site helpful:

Cable Modem Troubleshooting Tips:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a windows XP home PC. It's all up-to-date with patches, AV and
> firewall.
>
> I've got a cable modem (NTL Ireland).
>
> Now, the modem works fine. I can connect it to a laptop and it gets an IP
> address and connection.
>
> On the PC it won't seem to pick up an IP address.
>
> I've tried -
>
> c:\>ipconfig /release
> c:\>ipconfig /renew
>
> It doesn't get an address. Sometimes it does get an address, but this is
> not within the range used by the ISP, and has no gateway nor DNS.
>
> I did a system restore back to a time when everything worked fine.
>
> I installed newer drivers for the network card (Intel Pro/100)
>
> Nothing seems to work. I've powered off the PC and modem and restarted
> them.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Both the ISP and PC support are confused and
> blame
> each other.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Thanks.

I'll give it a try. The problem is certainly unusual though.

"Ryan Younger" wrote:

> You may find the following NTL member site helpful:
>
> Cable Modem Troubleshooting Tips:
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/
>

> --
> All the best,
>
> Ryan Younger.
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/ - Ryan's Wireless
> Networking Weblog
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've got a windows XP home PC. It's all up-to-date with patches, AV and
> > firewall.
> >
> > I've got a cable modem (NTL Ireland).
> >
> > Now, the modem works fine. I can connect it to a laptop and it gets an IP
> > address and connection.
> >
> > On the PC it won't seem to pick up an IP address.
> >
> > I've tried -
> >
> > c:\>ipconfig /release
> > c:\>ipconfig /renew
> >
> > It doesn't get an address. Sometimes it does get an address, but this is
> > not within the range used by the ISP, and has no gateway nor DNS.
> >
> > I did a system restore back to a time when everything worked fine.
> >
> > I installed newer drivers for the network card (Intel Pro/100)
> >
> > Nothing seems to work. I've powered off the PC and modem and restarted
> > them.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas? Both the ISP and PC support are confused and
> > blame
> > each other.

Fernando

Hello Paul,

Try to remove the TCP protocol and re-install it. Sometimes you the Windows
CD is asked, but with XP it should't. I've resolved plenty of network
problems doing this.

Regards,

Fernando.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a windows XP home PC. It's all up-to-date with patches, AV and
> firewall.
>
> I've got a cable modem (NTL Ireland).
>
> Now, the modem works fine. I can connect it to a laptop and it gets an IP
> address and connection.
>
> On the PC it won't seem to pick up an IP address.
>
> I've tried -
>
> c:\>ipconfig /release
> c:\>ipconfig /renew
>
> It doesn't get an address. Sometimes it does get an address, but this is
> not within the range used by the ISP, and has no gateway nor DNS.
>
> I did a system restore back to a time when everything worked fine.
>
> I installed newer drivers for the network card (Intel Pro/100)
>
> Nothing seems to work. I've powered off the PC and modem and restarted
> them.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Both the ISP and PC support are confused and
> blame
> each other.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Yeah, that was my next plan. I'll do that this evening and see how it goes.

Thanks.

"Fernando" wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> Try to remove the TCP protocol and re-install it. Sometimes you the Windows
> CD is asked, but with XP it should't. I've resolved plenty of network
> problems doing this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fernando.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've got a windows XP home PC. It's all up-to-date with patches, AV and
> > firewall.
> >
> > I've got a cable modem (NTL Ireland).
> >
> > Now, the modem works fine. I can connect it to a laptop and it gets an IP
> > address and connection.
> >
> > On the PC it won't seem to pick up an IP address.
> >
> > I've tried -
> >
> > c:\>ipconfig /release
> > c:\>ipconfig /renew
> >
> > It doesn't get an address. Sometimes it does get an address, but this is
> > not within the range used by the ISP, and has no gateway nor DNS.
> >
> > I did a system restore back to a time when everything worked fine.
> >
> > I installed newer drivers for the network card (Intel Pro/100)
> >
> > Nothing seems to work. I've powered off the PC and modem and restarted
> > them.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas? Both the ISP and PC support are confused and
> > blame
> > each other.

tekgrl

trying changing the network card setting to 10 half duplex.

Quaoar

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a windows XP home PC. It's all up-to-date with patches, AV
> and
> firewall.
>
> I've got a cable modem (NTL Ireland).
>
> Now, the modem works fine. I can connect it to a laptop and it gets an
> IP
> address and connection.
>
> On the PC it won't seem to pick up an IP address.
>
> I've tried -
>
> c:\>ipconfig /release
> c:\>ipconfig /renew
>
> It doesn't get an address. Sometimes it does get an address, but this
> is
> not within the range used by the ISP, and has no gateway nor DNS.
>
> I did a system restore back to a time when everything worked fine.
>
> I installed newer drivers for the network card (Intel Pro/100)
>
> Nothing seems to work. I've powered off the PC and modem and
> restarted them.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? Both the ISP and PC support are confused and
> blame
> each other.

If your NTL cable is similar to US cable systems, the cable modem must
be power cycled, leaving it off for perhaps a minute, then restarting it
before connecting a new MAC address to it (computer nic, router, etc).
The power cycle clears the MAC address table and allows the modem to
find the new computer.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

I had the cable modem off for two days. No success.

This problem is really confusing me.

There seems to be a route in the system for 169.254.0.0 to gateway
169.254.181.58

Now, I've no idea where either of these addresses come from. I've never
used any 169 addresses on the machine.

I connected the machine to a Linksys wireless router, and it picks up the
correct DHCP address from it of 192.168.1.100 (as I set in the config of the
router), and then it can access the internet correctly.

I did try using that tool to fix winsock, but no success. It's still
finding this weird route and then won't find the cable modem IP (82.224 etc).

Any ideas??