Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The cheapest way to produce quicktime VR like "virtual tour" using digital camera?

The cheapest way to produce quicktime VR like "virtual tour" using digital camera?

T.T.

as title, I have been searching for some alternative hardware (digital
camera) and software to produce "virtual tour" similar to QuickTime
VR, so far I'm still searching for some "cheaper" digital cameras that
either come with the panorama feature or can add a "fisheye" len to
quickly produce virtual tour (mainly for tourism or real estate show
room purposes)..does anyone has any recommendation or suggestions
about what lower-end products (especially digital camera) to buy?

For the software, I found this one might be interesting (as an
alternative):
www.imatronics.com

Thanks!

Clyde

T.T. wrote:

> as title, I have been searching for some alternative hardware (digital
> camera) and software to produce "virtual tour" similar to QuickTime
> VR, so far I'm still searching for some "cheaper" digital cameras that
> either come with the panorama feature or can add a "fisheye" len to
> quickly produce virtual tour (mainly for tourism or real estate show
> room purposes)..does anyone has any recommendation or suggestions
> about what lower-end products (especially digital camera) to buy?
>
> For the software, I found this one might be interesting (as an
> alternative):
> www.imatronics.com
>
> Thanks!

The cheapest way might also be the best. Assuming you have Windows or
Linux, download Hugin. It will come with Panoramic Tools - also known as
PanoTools. This is a very powerful stitching piece of software that
can stitch just about anything together.

However, it has a very high learning curve too. That's why Hugin is a
free frontend to the free PanoTools. It still has a learning curve, but
much less than trying to get PT running by itself.

OK, Hugin is still beta software and it isn't perfect. It is pretty
close for everything except the saving on my Win XP machine. I can
really only save in JPEG format right now. Others seem to save in many
of the other formats, but not me. One of those formats is QTVR.

If that doesn't work for you, buy Apple's QT Pro for about $29 to turn
your stitched photo into QTVR.

Another option would require a few buck, but not many. PTGui and
PTAssembler are very popular shareware frontends to PT that don't cost
much. The are more stable and proven. For the Mac PTMac is it, but great
software that is supported extremely well.

Generally, PT is considered the top of the heap in stitching software
right now. Many people use other software, much of which doesn't cost
much either. Then you can buy REALVIZ Stitcher for $500 and have quality
and ease of use.

Beware, this branch of photography can be addicting. Next thing you know
you'll be buying expensive pano tripod heads to keep everything lined
up. Then you'll need another tripod to hold all that weight. Then you'll
want wider lenses of all kinds - a bit of a problem in digital.

However, there is nothing like the pano vision of the world. If that's
yours, you don't have a choice.

Clyde

T.T.

Clyde, thanks so much for your kind help, I really appreciate that.

By the way, in terms of digital camera (the hardware side), I own a
SONY DSC-P72 and a SONY DSC-U20, both are small "snap-shot" type of
digital camera. Are these two digital camera sufficient to do the QTVR
virtual tour type of thing, or do I really need to have a fish eye len
or panorama capable type of digital camera?? I might sell my DSC-P72
and get another better digital camera, in this case, which one should
I get to get the QTVR job done??

Also, does anyone here has any experience with the 0-360 Panoramic
Optic(TM) from http://www.0-360.com/camera.asp
Other than this panoramic len, is there any cheaper panoramic lens
that worth considering? It seems for this type of 360 Panoramic len(s)
you do not need any stitching, while with a "fisheye" lens you might
still have to do stitching, what are the pros and cons of using these
different types of lens??
Thanks again!