Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak Soft Gloss Picture Paper for inkjet printers

Kodak Soft Gloss Picture Paper for inkjet printers

Ray K

I'm evaluating refill inks for my Canon i550 printer, using an older
version of this color scale image: http://displaymate.com/dwscs.html.
When I use Canon high gloss paper, each of the squares, all colors, has
sharply defined edges on all four sides. With the Kodak paper, many of
the squares have very ragged edges, especially along the edges that
border with black. (Same ink tanks were used with both brands.)

While barely visible on the above link, there is a gray scale just above
the red one at the top. With the Kodak paper, all four edges of each
gray square are as sharp as with the Canon paper. Drop down one row, to
the red squares, and the edges are horribly ragged, with the raggedness
greatest at the right end and getting less toward the left end.

All the rows below the red one have acceptably sharp edges, but not as
good as with the Canon paper.

I printed the test pattern a second time on the Kodak paper; same (but
not identical) ragged edges in the red row.

I'm disappointed that a product from a company like Kodak would give
such poor performance. Thanks for any comments/insights you offer.

Ray

Ron Hunter

Ray K wrote:
> I'm evaluating refill inks for my Canon i550 printer, using an older
> version of this color scale image: http://displaymate.com/dwscs.html.
> When I use Canon high gloss paper, each of the squares, all colors, has
> sharply defined edges on all four sides. With the Kodak paper, many of
> the squares have very ragged edges, especially along the edges that
> border with black. (Same ink tanks were used with both brands.)
>
> While barely visible on the above link, there is a gray scale just above
> the red one at the top. With the Kodak paper, all four edges of each
> gray square are as sharp as with the Canon paper. Drop down one row, to
> the red squares, and the edges are horribly ragged, with the raggedness
> greatest at the right end and getting less toward the left end.
>
> All the rows below the red one have acceptably sharp edges, but not as
> good as with the Canon paper.
>
> I printed the test pattern a second time on the Kodak paper; same (but
> not identical) ragged edges in the red row.
>
> I'm disappointed that a product from a company like Kodak would give
> such poor performance. Thanks for any comments/insights you offer.
>
> Ray

It has nothing to do with the paper, but rather with the finish, and the
ink. You would be best served by following the recommendations of the
printer manufacturer in selecting paper and ink. The Kodak soft gloss
paper works perfectly with both my HP printers.