Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DEATH OF THE D60 !!!

DEATH OF THE D60 !!!

Annika1980

Well, sports fans, it had to happen sooner or later.

I'm up on the mountain this evening, as I often am after work, and the shooting
is going a little slow. No eagles in sight .... just a few buzzards (turkey
vultures), 5 crows chasing a hawk, and one baby rabbit watching me carefully.

Anyway, I'm fooling around killing some time trying to get a bumblebee to pose
for me when I hit the shutter button on the Totally Digital D60 and nothing
happens.
I mean NOTHING!! No click, no nothing.
In a panic, I go to the car and get my remote shutter cable, but that doesn't
work either. I put in a fresh camera battery, hoping that the change might
clear it up, but still nothing. After fiddling with the thing I finally get it
to fire one final shot.
Of tree bark, of all things! I fiddle some more, thinking I might get it to
where it will fire one final time, and I survey the landscape for a worthy last
subject.
The little bunny suspects my plan and hops back into the bushes, safely out of
fire and out of range of the Better Beamer.

But it's hopeless now anyway.

My D60 is DEAD! It's passed on! This camera is no more! It has ceased to be!
The Totally Digital D60 has expired and gone to meet 'is maker! It's a stiff!
Bereft of life. It rests in peace!
It's shutter processes are now 'istory! It's kicked the digital bit bucket. It
has shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin'
choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-D60!!

So I'm just gonna toss it into the friggin reservoir and go home and order a
bloody10D. The wife will never know the difference. She's so analog!

But wait! What's this?
The mode selector ring has been moved to "A-Dep" which is a rarely used and
seldom needed Automatic Depth of Field mode. Let's see, if memory serves, when
you're in this mode you must press the shutter at least 3 times to get anything
to happen. Let's get back to Av mode and see what happens.

IT'S A MIRACLE !!! My Totally Digital D60 has been resurrected! In one
telling moment I feel stupid, gleeful, and sad. Stupid cause I didn't even
notice I had turned the knob when I was changing lenses. Gleeful that my
prized D60 was functioning again. And sad that I wouldn't be calling B&H
tonight.

It's like Meat Loaf said in "Roadie" .... "Everything works if ya let it."

Annika1980

In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole story.

Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?

chibitul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Annika1980) wrote:

[snip]

> My D60 is DEAD! It's passed on! This camera is no more! It has ceased to be!
> The Totally Digital D60 has expired and gone to meet 'is maker! It's a stiff!
> Bereft of life. It rests in peace!
> It's shutter processes are now 'istory! It's kicked the digital bit bucket.
> It
> has shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the
> bleedin'
> choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-D60!!

[snip]

Hi Annika, don;t you worry, Sigma makes a great camera, which will blow
away your blurry Bater sensor. You will be amazed, believe me. Ask
Gerorge Preddy. He can confirm this.

Mike Jenkins

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole story.
>
> Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?
> My grandfather

jean

"chibitul" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Annika1980) wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > My D60 is DEAD! It's passed on! This camera is no more! It has ceased

to be!
> > The Totally Digital D60 has expired and gone to meet 'is maker! It's a

stiff!
> > Bereft of life. It rests in peace!
> > It's shutter processes are now 'istory! It's kicked the digital bit

bucket.
> > It
> > has shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the
> > bleedin'
> > choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-D60!!

> [snip]
>
> Hi Annika, don;t you worry, Sigma makes a great camera, which will blow
> away your blurry Bater sensor. You will be amazed, believe me. Ask
> Gerorge Preddy. He can confirm this.

Right you are, I am just waiting for my Drebel to crap out, I take pictures
all the time to make sure it does go south. And all these crappy Canon
lenses, especially the last one I got (24-70 f2,8 L), I just hope I can get
an even trade on equivalent Sigma SA mounts to go with my future SD9.

sigh!

Ken Weitzel

Mike Jenkins wrote:
> "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole story.
>>
>>Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?
>>My grandfather

What a thought provoking question

May I assume that it was to be my last photo, it was also
to be one of my last acts on this earth?

Couldn't dream of choosing between my children. Nor my
grandkids. So, seeing I've always been the picture taker,
and expended great effort to avoid being the picture
takee, perhaps given that I'm getting pretty long in
the tooth I'd consider one of myself to leave
behind for them...

Take care.

Ken

NightStar

On Fri, 21 May 2004 02:51:52 GMT, Ken Weitzel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Mike Jenkins wrote:
>> "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole story.
>>>
>>>Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?
>>>My grandfather
>>>

>What a thought provoking question
>
>May I assume that it was to be my last photo, it was also
>to be one of my last acts on this earth?
>
>Couldn't dream of choosing between my children. Nor my
>grandkids. So, seeing I've always been the picture taker,
>and expended great effort to avoid being the picture
>takee, perhaps given that I'm getting pretty long in
>the tooth I'd consider one of myself to leave
>behind for them...
>
>Take care.
>
>Ken

My choice would be myself - If it's a "terminal" one-more-picture. (As
Ken said above, I have rarely been photographed myself, so one for the
family would be fitting.)

However, if it's just a case of the last picture ever, and I can't
photograph for the rest of my life... then it would have to be the
other half.

Yet, and on a lighter note here, knowing my luck I'd end up taking a
blurred shot of my feet!

Tony.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole

story.

> Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would

it be?

Glad to hear your D60 is fine, although a new 10D would be nice.

What one photo would I take? My Dad. It was Father's day ten years
ago and we were all gathered at my sister's home. My wife had loaded
the Rebel with a roll of B&W film and had been taking a few photos.
She kept asking me to get a photo of my dad, myself, and my two sons
together - all three generations together - as we had no pictures like
that. I got too busy that day barbecuing, playing basketball, hockey,
etc. We never took the photos. The next day my suddenly and
unexpectedly died of a heart attack, only 60 years old. How I wish I
took the time to get those photos.

Bart van der Wolf

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my haste to get this to press, I forgot the point of the whole story.
>
> Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?

An extremely long time exposure.

Bart

Annika1980

>From: "Bart van der Wolf" (E-Mail Removed)

>> Q. If you could only take one more photo in your life, what would it be?

>An extremely long time exposure.

That reminds me of when someone asked boxer, Larry Holmes, how he'd like to be
remembered after he's gone.

"As the longest living black man ever."