Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Mapping the LPT1 Port to a network printer

Mapping the LPT1 Port to a network printer

=?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBTaWVnZWw=?=

I have successfully mapped the LPT1 port to a network printer using the Net
Use command (persistent:yes) and it works great for me. My users, however,
don't have local administrative rights and it doesn't work for them. Is
there a way to map map that printer so that it's mapped for all users,
regardless of their local permissions, or is there a way to do this without
making them an administrator?

Thank you,

Andy Siegel
Dover, DE

Ryan Younger

The way this should be done is to have all user's machine's as part of a
domain, having user's log onto their machine's using their active directory
user account and have a central print server which has all network printer's
added to it. You can then add a printer/s via group policy based on group
membership..

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

"Andy Siegel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have successfully mapped the LPT1 port to a network printer using the Net
> Use command (persistent:yes) and it works great for me. My users,
> however,
> don't have local administrative rights and it doesn't work for them. Is
> there a way to map map that printer so that it's mapped for all users,
> regardless of their local permissions, or is there a way to do this
> without
> making them an administrator?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Andy Siegel
> Dover, DE

=?Utf-8?B?QW5keSBTaWVnZWw=?=

I'm so sorry I forgot this one little important fact. I'm trying to print
from a DOS based program that has to use LPT1. I wish it were this easy.

Andy

"Ryan Younger" wrote:

> The way this should be done is to have all user's machine's as part of a
> domain, having user's log onto their machine's using their active directory
> user account and have a central print server which has all network printer's
> added to it. You can then add a printer/s via group policy based on group
> membership..
>
> --
> All the best,
>
> Ryan Younger.
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/ - Ryan's Wireless
> Networking Weblog
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "Andy Siegel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have successfully mapped the LPT1 port to a network printer using the Net
> > Use command (persistent:yes) and it works great for me. My users,
> > however,
> > don't have local administrative rights and it doesn't work for them. Is
> > there a way to map map that printer so that it's mapped for all users,
> > regardless of their local permissions, or is there a way to do this
> > without
> > making them an administrator?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Andy Siegel
> > Dover, DE

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

"Andy Siegel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm so sorry I forgot this one little important fact. I'm trying to print
> from a DOS based program that has to use LPT1. I wish it were this easy.

You have replies in other groups - in the future, please don't multipost -
if you need to post to multiple groups, it's best to crosspost instead, by
posting a single message to a handful of relevant groups (separate the NG
names with commas) so that everyone can follow the thread. Thanks

See http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

That said - as I said in one of the aforementioned replies, try using a
startup script rather than user login script.

> Andy
>

> "Ryan Younger" wrote:
>
>> The way this should be done is to have all user's machine's as part of a
>> domain, having user's log onto their machine's using their active
>> directory
>> user account and have a central print server which has all network
>> printer's
>> added to it. You can then add a printer/s via group policy based on
>> group
>> membership..
>>
>> --
>> All the best,
>>
>> Ryan Younger.
>> http://spaces.msn.com/members/wirelessnetworking/ - Ryan's Wireless
>> Networking Weblog
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>> "Andy Siegel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have successfully mapped the LPT1 port to a network printer using the
>> >Net
>> > Use command (persistent:yes) and it works great for me. My users,
>> > however,
>> > don't have local administrative rights and it doesn't work for them.
>> > Is
>> > there a way to map map that printer so that it's mapped for all users,
>> > regardless of their local permissions, or is there a way to do this
>> > without
>> > making them an administrator?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Andy Siegel
>> > Dover, DE

Ryan Younger

This can occur due to the fact that a user without administrative priviliges
can't map LPT1 to a printer using an environment variable setting for the
command window that launches the program (using net use) if the LPT port is
already assigned to the local parallel port. The fix is to use the
Devcon.exe tool which is included with the Windows XP DDK to disable the LPT
port mapping to the local parallel port when the computer starts. You must
include this command in a script which runs when the computer starts as
lanwench has pointed out:

Non-Administrators Cannot Remap an LPT Port to a Network Printer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313644/

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.