Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Megapixel limit

Megapixel limit

m Ransley

What is the limit of megapixels lenses can use, there has to be a point
where the highest quality lens cannot use more. Is this perhaps 25 or
100. The race cant go on forever.
What Dslr can now equal Kodachrome 64, or can one .

James Silverton

"m Ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the limit of megapixels lenses can use, there has to be a

point
> where the highest quality lens cannot use more. Is this perhaps 25

or
> 100. The race cant go on forever.
> What Dslr can now equal Kodachrome 64, or can one .

I don't think the limit has been reached. Assuming that we take a
detector about the size of a 35mm negative, you'ld have to make
individual sensors as small as the limit of resolution of a very good
50mm lens, say something like a Summicron. I don't think we are there
yet and storage and transfer of the necessary number of megabytes
would test current but perhaps not future technology.

Jim.

Charles Schuler

A nice situation would be if good lenses also acted as the anti-alias
filter. In other words, the sensor pitch would be finer than the lens
resolution and there would be no need for a blur filter on top of the
sensor. I have read (can't remember the source) that this will occur
somewhere around 20 to 30 megapixels for a 35 mm sensor. Others will no
doubt correct me.

Joseph Meehan

m Ransley wrote:
> What is the limit of megapixels lenses can use, there has to be a
> point where the highest quality lens cannot use more. Is this
> perhaps 25 or 100. The race cant go on forever.
> What Dslr can now equal Kodachrome 64, or can one .

It is generally considered that a 35 mm negative or slide is about
equivalent to a 35 megapixel image. It's apples and oranges so an exact
number is not possible and there is a great deal of differences between
films just are there are differences between sensors and lenses.

The other factor is the size of the sensor. Since most current digitals
uses sensors that are smaller than the 35 mm image, a lens would need to
have a greater resolution (lines per) for the same results with a digital as
a 35 mm.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

Im sure the limit hasn't been reached K 10 and K 25 and some B&W were
- are dam good , better than ive seen on dslrs. But I have not compared
or used a Kodac 14 or Canon 11, to rich for me. I have K 10 from 49
that is still sharp as a tack and vibrant with color. And now use K 64 .
But there has to be a lens maximum of acceptance where then other
features will be primary, ultimately giving everyone the max in
resolution. Then it will be features. In maybe 2- 5 or 10 yrs. Foveon
if it puts out a 14 will impress, but Nikon and Canon im sure have
better in the lab , its just a matter of time.

Roland Karlsson

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Q0Rqc.5$IJ6.4
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> It is generally considered that a 35 mm negative or slide is about
> equivalent to a 35 megapixel image.

No ... not really. The 6 Mpixel DSLRs are not all that far from
even the best 35 mm film cameras, so 35 Mpixels? Don't think so.

> It's apples and oranges so an exact
> number is not possible and there is a great deal of differences between
> films just are there are differences between sensors and lenses.

Yepp!

/Roland

Bill Hilton

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (m Ransley)

> What Dslr can now equal Kodachrome 64, or can one .

I have an 11 Mpixel Canon 1Ds and large prints (ie, above 11x14") from this
camera are noticeably better than prints from scanned fine-grained 35 mm film
even though 4,000 dpi film scan files are much larger.

So for practical purposes we're there already, as far as I'm concerned.

The six megapixel models are getting close (comparing print quality) but aren't
quite there yet.

Bill

per

Consider a lens and a sensor that have the same resolution (or say "blur
factor" to make it easier to understand). Then a reduction of the blur
factor in either the lens or the sensor will produce a total improvement
since they both blur the picture. This is valid to the point where the
sensor resolution is infinite, then the lens itself will produce all blur
(and vice versa). A larger sensor will match a larger lens for higher
resolution.
Canon EOS 1Ds (11 Mpixel) is the first to have higher resolution than a
24x36mm Kodachrome slide. But a 6x6cm camera with film has even higher
resolution. This according to tests in Ljud & Bild, Sweden.
/per

"m Ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the limit of megapixels lenses can use, there has to be a point
> where the highest quality lens cannot use more. Is this perhaps 25 or
> 100. The race cant go on forever.
> What Dslr can now equal Kodachrome 64, or can one .

David J. Littleboy

"Roland Karlsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Q0Rqc.5$IJ6.4
> @fe2.columbus.rr.com:
>
> > It is generally considered that a 35 mm negative or slide is about
> > equivalent to a 35 megapixel image.

> No ... not really. The 6 Mpixel DSLRs are not all that far from
> even the best 35 mm film cameras, so 35 Mpixels? Don't think so.

Most sensible articles put the 6MP dSLRs at 70% of 35mm. People who actually
make larger prints will tell you that it's very close, with some prefering
digital and some prefering film.

But all the articles comparing the 1Ds to 35mm find 35mm nowhere close to
the 1Ds.

> > It's apples and oranges so an exact
> > number is not possible and there is a great deal of differences between
> > films just are there are differences between sensors and lenses.

> Yepp!

In particular, 6MP dSLRs are _way_ ahead of 35mm at ISO 400 and above.
Except for the perverse folks who like grain.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

George Preddy

(E-Mail Removed) (m Ransley) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> What is the limit of megapixels lenses can use, there has to be a point
> where the highest quality lens cannot use more. Is this perhaps 25 or
> 100. The race cant go on forever.
> What Dslr can now equal Kodachrome 64, or can one .

Bayers are nowhere even close, Sigma/Foveon have past lens limits but not by much.