Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Service Erratic

Wireless Service Erratic

Patrick Page

I've been using my desktop's DSL connection from my laptop using an Airlink
wireless router for months. Lately the service has been erratic: the
wireless signal is excellent, but there are periods, sometimes for days,
when the laptop is sending many packets more than it receives and my
internet access from the laptop is effectively nil. What might be causing
this? How can I diagnose? TIA!

--

Patrick S. Page
Morongo Valley, CA

Ryan Younger

This may indicate inteference. Wireless networks use a protocol named
Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Avoidance (CSMA/CA). It is
possible that due to inteference or another factor, ACK (acknowledgement
frame) commands sent from the AP are not being received by your laptop for a
specified period of time, this causes the data packet to be resent by your
laptop, which assumes that the original packet experienced a collision.
This would explain the increase in packets being sent by your laptop and the
drop in your internet connection. Have you had any new installations or
major changes in your environment recently? 802.11b and 802.11g Wireless
networks use the 2.4Ghz unregulated frequency band and so applicances and
other devices can interfere with the signal.

Another possible cause would be a worm infection on your laptop, have you
ruled this out?

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
Networking Weblog

"Patrick Page" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been using my desktop's DSL connection from my laptop using an
> Airlink
> wireless router for months. Lately the service has been erratic: the
> wireless signal is excellent, but there are periods, sometimes for days,
> when the laptop is sending many packets more than it receives and my
> internet access from the laptop is effectively nil. What might be causing
> this? How can I diagnose? TIA!
>
> --
>
> Patrick S. Page
> Morongo Valley, CA
> 760-363-0062

Patrick Page

Itt seems to have been a bug in Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator that affected
AVG. The problem went away after I applied the Roxio fix.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...