Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Filter Glass options ?

Filter Glass options ?

Deillub

I have a Canon Power Shot camera which does not provide for screw on filter
attachments.
I am looking for a Canadian source of tinted glass that can be hand held in
front of the lens to
improve and enhance pictures containing lots of clouds, sky and/or water.

Has anyone experience with such a product and or a Canadian source that I
could follow-up?
Many Thanks in advance

stewy

Off-hand, no. You could try a red filter as this will increase SOME
contrast.
But PSP or Photoshop is the best tool for adjusting images.

A polarising filter will cut down on reflected light making views through
windows and water better.
Skylight or UVs will reduces haze and so improve contrast, but the bigger
adjustments would be post-production.

"Deillub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hmcqc.25391$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I have a Canon Power Shot camera which does not provide for screw on

filter
> attachments.
> I am looking for a Canadian source of tinted glass that can be hand held

in
> front of the lens to
> improve and enhance pictures containing lots of clouds, sky and/or

water.

> Has anyone experience with such a product and or a Canadian source that I
> could follow-up?
> Many Thanks in advance

m Ransley

There should be a Polariser that can fit around the barrel, clamp down
- tighten .
Hold in front ? pain in the a , and no direction defined. Or maybe
not , that is one less reason to consider a Power Crop.
To me Filters - Polariser, are a necessity outdoors, in sun.

Deillub

Thanks for your input

Steven M. Scharf

"Deillub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hmcqc.25391$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I have a Canon Power Shot camera which does not provide for screw on

filter
> attachments.
> I am looking for a Canadian source of tinted glass that can be hand held

in
> front of the lens to
> improve and enhance pictures containing lots of clouds, sky and/or

water.

Are you sure? There are adapters for the S40, S45, S50, S300, S400, S500, A
series, etc. Which Powershot do you have? On the S40, 45, 50, and S300,
S400, S500, they attach via the tripod mount.

Linda_N

"Steven M. Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7TJqc.1333$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> "Deillub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hmcqc.25391$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > I have a Canon Power Shot camera which does not provide for screw on

> filter
> > attachments.
> > I am looking for a Canadian source of tinted glass that can be hand held

> in
> > front of the lens to
> > improve and enhance pictures containing lots of clouds, sky and/or

> water.
>
> Are you sure? There are adapters for the S40, S45, S50, S300, S400, S500,

> series, etc. Which Powershot do you have? On the S40, 45, 50, and S300,
> S400, S500, they attach via the tripod mount.

They adapters are not by Canon, but yes there is a 3rd party adapter (clips
over the top and bottom of the camera nicely) for the Powershop S30 - S50
that allows for 3rd party tele and wide lenses to be attached. The only
problem is the threading is 35.5mm and to my knowledge no filters (which I
think the original poster wants...polarizer) have. The adapter is really
cheap dollar wise $16, but built very well. The .5 mm is a real pain
though.

Linda

Bob Salomon

In article <X1Lqc.4758$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The only
> problem is the threading is 35.5mm and to my knowledge no filters (which I
> think the original poster wants...polarizer) have.

The good news is Heliopan does make 35.5mm x 0.5 pitch polarizers in
both linear and circular types.

The bad news is that these would be a special order and take about 4
weeks for delivery.

Heliopan also makes thin brass step-up rings from 35.5 x0.5 to more
common sizes like 52mm, 49mm, 48mm, 46mm, 43mm, 40.5mm and 39mm.

These would also be special order but would allow the user to use
commonly available size filters.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Linda_N

"Bob Salomon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <X1Lqc.4758$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > The only
> > problem is the threading is 35.5mm and to my knowledge no filters (which

> > think the original poster wants...polarizer) have.

> The good news is Heliopan does make 35.5mm x 0.5 pitch polarizers in
> both linear and circular types.
>
> The bad news is that these would be a special order and take about 4
> weeks for delivery.
>
> Heliopan also makes thin brass step-up rings from 35.5 x0.5 to more
> common sizes like 52mm, 49mm, 48mm, 46mm, 43mm, 40.5mm and 39mm.
>
> These would also be special order but would allow the user to use
> commonly available size filters.

There is another place (http://www.ckcpower.com/s3040.htm) that makes an
adapter for the S30/40/50 that has 37mm threads (more common) but is it ever
butt ugly, and expensive in comparison to the much better built clip on
35.5mm I referred to originally. Perhaps Heliopan (noticed you own it) could
contact that company and work out some sort of deal for them to advertise
your 35.5 filters and step up rings? Even if your filters were a little
expensive the customer is still saving 2/3s by buying the clip on adapter
over the one listed above. I never bought the clip on because I could not
find any 35.5 filters are lenses with that thread so just gave up. It was
only until recently that I discovered a local camera shop is carrying the
3rd party lenses for that adapter.

Linda