Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > looking for new slide (and film) scanner

looking for new slide (and film) scanner

Kris

Hi,

I've been using the HP S20 slide and film scanner for the past couple of
years.
Because bulk scanning of slides is now standard even for (cheap) flatbed
scanners and because the quality is probably better than with my old S20,
I'm thinking about finally buying a new film&slide scanner.

What I want to do with it? Scan slides and negatives for playing around in
Photoshop, putting them on the web and maybe making a A4/legal size print
out of it.

I'm not a pro so it the price must be reasonable. I'm thinking 400,- USD
(or 330 EUR) tops!

- Should I buy a dedicated slide & film scanner or will a flatbed do just
fine? (I'd like to have quality at least a little better than the HP S20
scanner)
- I really would like bulk or batch scanning! (The S20 could only scan 1
slide at the time)

Any advice on what model I should buy? Other tips? Experiences?

Thanks!!
Kris

Pieter Haartsen

I am now using a Minolta Scan Dimage Dual 1V. Suberb, (euro 350, in US maybe
cheaper), much better then any flatbed.
Pieter

"Kris" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:40a8ec83$0$8991$(E-Mail Removed) t.net...
> Hi,
>
> I've been using the HP S20 slide and film scanner for the past couple of
> years.
> Because bulk scanning of slides is now standard even for (cheap) flatbed
> scanners and because the quality is probably better than with my old S20,
> I'm thinking about finally buying a new film&slide scanner.
>
> What I want to do with it? Scan slides and negatives for playing around in
> Photoshop, putting them on the web and maybe making a A4/legal size print
> out of it.
>
> I'm not a pro so it the price must be reasonable. I'm thinking 400,- USD
> (or 330 EUR) tops!
>
> - Should I buy a dedicated slide & film scanner or will a flatbed do just
> fine? (I'd like to have quality at least a little better than the HP S20
> scanner)
> - I really would like bulk or batch scanning! (The S20 could only scan 1
> slide at the time)
>

> Any advice on what model I should buy? Other tips? Experiences?
>
> Thanks!!
> Kris

Pieter Haartsen

I am now using a Minolta Scan Dimage Dual 1V. Suberb, (euro 350, in US maybe
cheaper), much better then any flatbed.
Pieter

"Kris" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:40a8ec83$0$8991$(E-Mail Removed) t.net...
> Hi,
>
> I've been using the HP S20 slide and film scanner for the past couple of
> years.
> Because bulk scanning of slides is now standard even for (cheap) flatbed
> scanners and because the quality is probably better than with my old S20,
> I'm thinking about finally buying a new film&slide scanner.
>
> What I want to do with it? Scan slides and negatives for playing around in
> Photoshop, putting them on the web and maybe making a A4/legal size print
> out of it.
>
> I'm not a pro so it the price must be reasonable. I'm thinking 400,- USD
> (or 330 EUR) tops!
>
> - Should I buy a dedicated slide & film scanner or will a flatbed do just
> fine? (I'd like to have quality at least a little better than the HP S20
> scanner)
> - I really would like bulk or batch scanning! (The S20 could only scan 1
> slide at the time)
>

> Any advice on what model I should buy? Other tips? Experiences?
>
> Thanks!!
> Kris

Kris

Does it support batch (or 'bulk') scanning ?

"Pieter Haartsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FB8qc.34785$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am now using a Minolta Scan Dimage Dual 1V. Suberb, (euro 350, in US

maybe
> cheaper), much better then any flatbed.
> Pieter

Gene Palmiter

I have been very happy with my Epson 3200 photo scanner. Since film and
slides are just a minor activity compared to flat sheet scanning I didn't
need a dedicated film scanner...but it's up to the task when I need it.
Reports are that it is almost as good as a dedicated film scanner...and that
means that to most eyes you can't tell the difference. And I think its been
replaced by now with an even better model.

"Pieter Haartsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FB8qc.34785$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am now using a Minolta Scan Dimage Dual 1V. Suberb, (euro 350, in US

maybe
> cheaper), much better then any flatbed.
> Pieter
>

> "Kris" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:40a8ec83$0$8991$(E-Mail Removed) t.net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been using the HP S20 slide and film scanner for the past couple of
> > years.
> > Because bulk scanning of slides is now standard even for (cheap) flatbed
> > scanners and because the quality is probably better than with my old

S20,
> > I'm thinking about finally buying a new film&slide scanner.
> >
> > What I want to do with it? Scan slides and negatives for playing around

in
> > Photoshop, putting them on the web and maybe making a A4/legal size

print
> > out of it.
> >
> > I'm not a pro so it the price must be reasonable. I'm thinking 400,-

USD
> > (or 330 EUR) tops!
> >
> > - Should I buy a dedicated slide & film scanner or will a flatbed do

just
> > fine? (I'd like to have quality at least a little better than the HP

S20
> > scanner)
> > - I really would like bulk or batch scanning! (The S20 could only scan

1
> > slide at the time)
> >

> > Any advice on what model I should buy? Other tips? Experiences?
> >
> > Thanks!!
> > Kris

Wayne Power

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f7aqc.67019$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been very happy with my Epson 3200 photo scanner. Since film and
> slides are just a minor activity compared to flat sheet scanning I didn't
> need a dedicated film scanner...but it's up to the task when I need it.
> Reports are that it is almost as good as a dedicated film scanner...and

that
> means that to most eyes you can't tell the difference. And I think its

been
> replaced by now with an even better model.
>
> "Pieter Haartsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FB8qc.34785$(E-Mail Removed)...

That better model is the Epson Perfection 4870 and is reviewed here:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...870/page_1.htm

Wayne

Kris

Wayne,

That review convinced me. All I needed to know
It's definitely going to be the Epson 4870.

Thanks!
Kris

"Wayne Power" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Kscqc.2714$(E-Mail Removed)...

> That better model is the Epson Perfection 4870 and is reviewed here:
>
> http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...870/page_1.htm
>
> Wayne

gsum

It is almost as good. I've done a direct comparison with a Minolta
MF film scanner costing 8 times as much as the 3200 and the
difference is marginal. The Minolta extracted slightly more
information and had a bit if extra dynamic range. The 3200 is
bargain of the year.

Graham

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f7aqc.67019$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been very happy with my Epson 3200 photo scanner. Since film and
> slides are just a minor activity compared to flat sheet scanning I didn't
> need a dedicated film scanner...but it's up to the task when I need it.
> Reports are that it is almost as good as a dedicated film scanner...and

that
> means that to most eyes you can't tell the difference. And I think its

been
> replaced by now with an even better model.

David J. Littleboy

"Kris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...870/page_1.htm

> That review convinced me. All I needed to know
> It's definitely going to be the Epson 4870.

Look at this page first.

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~longnose/scanner_test.html

"Like all flatbed scanners, the Epson doesn't come anywhere close to the
stated resolution."

It's clear that it's one step down from a 2700 dpi dedicated film scanner.
(Sorry to be a wet blanket here, but I was disappointed with the 2450 for
medium format.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Janos Bauer

At least in my country you can buy a Minolta Scan Dual IV for this money...

/Jancsika