Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Sigma gives up on Foveon and SA mount lenses, turns to Kodak for Sensor, and moves to Canon Lens Mount

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Sigma gives up on Foveon and SA mount lenses, turns to Kodak for Sensor, and moves to Canon Lens Mount

 
 
Steven M. Scharf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2004
> Good analysis. One more thing. Sigma's Canon mount lenses often need to be
> rechipped for compatibity with newer Canon bodies. Could the same issue
> occur in reverse? What about when a new Canon lens comes out and the
> Sigma/Kodak/Canon camera doesn't work with it? Will the DCS 14/c owner be
> relegated to Sigma's Canon mount lenses? One of the major complaints of

the
> SD9 and SD10 was that there are no pro lenses for the SA mount; this new
> model solves that problem, as long as all the lenses actually work

properly.

OTOH, at least Sigma realized that continuing with a 3.43 Mp sensor and
their own SA mount, was not a good business. By moving to a 13.5Mp sensor
and the Canon mount, they have addressed two of the major issues that they
had with the SD9 and SD10. If Kodak sells the DCS 14/c for around $2000,
then it will have a place in studios. But the rated reliability, in terms of
shutter cycles, is still troublesome, and a studio probably could not accept
this limitation.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Georgette Preddy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2004
"Steven M. Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<5ULpc.2437$(E-Mail Removed) link.net>...
> > Good analysis. One more thing. Sigma's Canon mount lenses often need to be
> > rechipped for compatibity with newer Canon bodies. Could the same issue
> > occur in reverse? What about when a new Canon lens comes out and the
> > Sigma/Kodak/Canon camera doesn't work with it? Will the DCS 14/c owner be
> > relegated to Sigma's Canon mount lenses? One of the major complaints of

> the
> > SD9 and SD10 was that there are no pro lenses for the SA mount; this new
> > model solves that problem, as long as all the lenses actually work

> properly.
>
> OTOH, at least Sigma realized that continuing with a 3.43 Mp sensor and
> their own SA mount, was not a good business. By moving to a 13.5Mp sensor
> and the Canon mount, they have addressed two of the major issues that they
> had with the SD9 and SD10. If Kodak sells the DCS 14/c for around $2000,
> then it will have a place in studios. But the rated reliability, in terms of
> shutter cycles, is still troublesome, and a studio probably could not accept
> this limitation.


Sigma's model senses 3.43MP in full color. The tiny sensor in the 14n
only senses 13.5MP in monochrome. Foveon's is a much bigger optical
sensor.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jukka-Pekka Suominen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2004
Georgette Preddy wrote:

> Sigma's model senses 3.43MP in full color. The tiny sensor in the 14n
> only senses 13.5MP in monochrome.


How is sensing red, green and blue (Bayer) monochrome, whereas sensing
red, green and blue (Foveon) is color?

You are truly confused...

-JP

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ray Fischer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2004
Georgette Preddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Steven M. Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<5ULpc.2437$(E-Mail Removed) link.net>...
>> > Good analysis. One more thing. Sigma's Canon mount lenses often need to be
>> > rechipped for compatibity with newer Canon bodies. Could the same issue
>> > occur in reverse? What about when a new Canon lens comes out and the
>> > Sigma/Kodak/Canon camera doesn't work with it? Will the DCS 14/c owner be
>> > relegated to Sigma's Canon mount lenses? One of the major complaints of

>> the
>> > SD9 and SD10 was that there are no pro lenses for the SA mount; this new
>> > model solves that problem, as long as all the lenses actually work

>> properly.
>>
>> OTOH, at least Sigma realized that continuing with a 3.43 Mp sensor and
>> their own SA mount, was not a good business. By moving to a 13.5Mp sensor
>> and the Canon mount, they have addressed two of the major issues that they
>> had with the SD9 and SD10. If Kodak sells the DCS 14/c for around $2000,
>> then it will have a place in studios. But the rated reliability, in terms of
>> shutter cycles, is still troublesome, and a studio probably could not accept
>> this limitation.

>
>Sigma's model senses 3.43MP in full color.


It doesn't.

--
Ray Fischer
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
JPS@no.komm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2004
In message <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Georgette Preddy) wrote:

>Sigma's model senses 3.43MP in full color.


You mean, in 3 loose "colors".

>The tiny sensor in the 14n


.... is 1.7 times as wide and high as the X3.

>only senses 13.5MP in monochrome.


That's the sensor. The camera senses almost 14 MP of luminance (about
4x the X3), and almost 3.5 MP of chrominance (about the same as the X3).

>Foveon's is a much bigger optical
>sensor.


Total gibberish designed to be mistaken for a major accomplishment.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

 
Reply With Quote
 
JPS@no.komm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2004
In message <40a9bea3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jukka-Pekka Suominen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Georgette Preddy wrote:
>
>> Sigma's model senses 3.43MP in full color. The tiny sensor in the 14n
>> only senses 13.5MP in monochrome.

>
>How is sensing red, green and blue (Bayer) monochrome, whereas sensing
>red, green and blue (Foveon) is color?
>
>You are truly confused...


SteveGeorgette has no concept of the fact that the difference is one of
chrominance resolution, and falsely believes that RGB datapoints are the
elemental unit of optics.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLRSigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com Digital Photography 6 04-01-2005 05:26 PM
Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLRSigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com Digital Photography 5 04-01-2005 02:08 PM
Sigma lens mount and PK Luigi de Guzman Digital Photography 3 02-15-2004 02:41 PM
Help, mouse moves, sticks for a few seconds, then moves... what's up? unbroken Computer Information 8 01-19-2004 04:18 AM



Advertisments