Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Pro1

Canon Pro1

Bob Cotter

I just purchased the Pro1 and have taken a couple of dozen pictures. So
far I like it and am pleased with my choice.

I have had Canon gear for quite some time and for many months was
considering the Digital Rebel so I could continue to use the collection
of lenses I already own.

On the day I was to make my purchase, I took the Pro1 for a test drive
and decided that my days of packing a big camera back with extra lenses
and attachments is probably over. The smaller form factor of the Pro1
with the versatility of the zoom lense convinced me to go in that
direction regardless of the extra $100 or so in cost.

To my question...

The high speed 64mb card that comes standard with the Pro1 is obviously
not large enough for vacations and such.

It has been suggested that I purchase a 512 or 1gb card.

I'm wondering if I "need" to use a high speed card. What trade offs will
there be if I purchase, for example, a 4x card instead?

Cheers... Bob

--
If replying by email, please remove the removes.

jriegle

"Bob Cotter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just purchased the Pro1 and have taken a couple of dozen pictures. So
> far I like it and am pleased with my choice.
>
> I have had Canon gear for quite some time and for many months was
> considering the Digital Rebel so I could continue to use the collection
> of lenses I already own.
>
> On the day I was to make my purchase, I took the Pro1 for a test drive
> and decided that my days of packing a big camera back with extra lenses
> and attachments is probably over. The smaller form factor of the Pro1
> with the versatility of the zoom lense convinced me to go in that
> direction regardless of the extra $100 or so in cost.
>
> To my question...
>
> The high speed 64mb card that comes standard with the Pro1 is obviously
> not large enough for vacations and such.
>
> It has been suggested that I purchase a 512 or 1gb card.
>
> I'm wondering if I "need" to use a high speed card. What trade offs will
> there be if I purchase, for example, a 4x card instead?
>
> Cheers... Bob
>
> --
> If replying by email, please remove the removes.

I would recommend several 128MB or 356MB cards. If the single large card
happened to fail, you could loose all your pictures. Using several smaller
cards would lessen the impact.
John

Zol.

Hi, So far with my Pro1, I`ve used a 1Gb microdrive & 256Mb Lexar CF Cards with it and have
shot in the raw format (crw) which takes up aprox 9Mb of space per image so I get aprox 114
Images per disk before transfering to a portable storage device that I carry. Obviously if
you shoot in JPG, you will get a lot more images per CF/Disk and always have the luxury of
converting shots to raw after you`ve taken them by pressing the function button whilst the
image is being reviewed. I have used the microdrive for storing photos for the past 8 months
with no problems but, they are minature hardrives and as such need to be cared for as such
whereas on the other hand, Compact Flash(CF) is Solid State (no moving parts) and therefore
the life should be better as long as you stick to a good brand (I`ve used Lexar with Canons
okay). If I was in a postion to buy CF Cards, I would opt for either a couple of 512Mb or a
1Gb one.

Question for you, do you shoot with high ISO in the past? The noise factor does pose a
problem for low-light shots where you want a quick exposure time without flash.

Zol.

"Bob Cotter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just purchased the Pro1 and have taken a couple of dozen pictures. So
> far I like it and am pleased with my choice.
>
> I have had Canon gear for quite some time and for many months was
> considering the Digital Rebel so I could continue to use the collection
> of lenses I already own.
>
> On the day I was to make my purchase, I took the Pro1 for a test drive
> and decided that my days of packing a big camera back with extra lenses
> and attachments is probably over. The smaller form factor of the Pro1
> with the versatility of the zoom lense convinced me to go in that
> direction regardless of the extra $100 or so in cost.
>
> To my question...
>
> The high speed 64mb card that comes standard with the Pro1 is obviously
> not large enough for vacations and such.
>
> It has been suggested that I purchase a 512 or 1gb card.
>
> I'm wondering if I "need" to use a high speed card. What trade offs will
> there be if I purchase, for example, a 4x card instead?
>
> Cheers... Bob
>
> --
> If replying by email, please remove the removes.

Bob Cotter

In article <0SLpc.35885$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:

> Question for you, do you shoot with high ISO in the past? The noise factor
> does pose a
> problem for low-light shots where you want a quick exposure time without
> flash.

In the past I have not shot with a higher ISO with a digital camera. I
have read some reviews (and your notes thank you) that indicate the
noise factor. I have a 420EX to use for inside shots and have only done
a few experiments ... so far MUCH better results than with the G1 I have
used for the past two years.

My real question was whether or not the incremental price for the high
speed cards was absolutely necessary to spend.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers... Bob

--
If replying by email, please remove the removes.

Bob Cotter

In article <0SLpc.35885$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:

> Hi, So far with my Pro1, I`ve used a 1Gb microdrive & 256Mb Lexar CF Cards
> with it and have
> shot in the raw format (crw) which takes up aprox 9Mb of space per image so I
> get aprox 114
> Images per disk before transfering to a portable storage device that I carry.
> Obviously if
> you shoot in JPG, you will get a lot more images per CF/Disk and always have
> the luxury of
> converting shots to raw after you`ve taken them by pressing the function
> button whilst the
> image is being reviewed.

I read that in the manual and have done that. Unfortunately, the
software I use for storing my images (iPhoto) will not read the RAW
format.

Cheers... Bob

--
If replying by email, please remove the removes.

Bart van der Wolf

"Bob Cotter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
SNIP
> My real question was whether or not the incremental price for the high
> speed cards was absolutely necessary to spend.

Not absolutely necessary, but it will help in reducing the download times to
your computer. It might also influence the maximum sequence speed if you
need to shoot many images with a short interval (differs per camera model).
If it's not that important to you, you might as well spend the same money on
higher capacity.

Bart

Zol.

"Bob Cotter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <0SLpc.35885$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> "Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:
>
> > Question for you, do you shoot with high ISO in the past? The noise factor
> > does pose a
> > problem for low-light shots where you want a quick exposure time without
> > flash.

> In the past I have not shot with a higher ISO with a digital camera. I
> have read some reviews (and your notes thank you) that indicate the
> noise factor. I have a 420EX to use for inside shots and have only done
> a few experiments ... so far MUCH better results than with the G1 I have
> used for the past two years.
>
> My real question was whether or not the incremental price for the high
> speed cards was absolutely necessary to spend.
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Cheers... Bob
>
> --
> If replying by email, please remove the removes.

I don`t think the Pro1 takes advantage of thigh speed cards when shooting (at least I
haven`t read it anywhere) but ceratinly downloading to a PC or MAC would be quicker. It
might be interesting to experiment with a fast CF Card (40x) and see if the camera does
indeed perform better.

Zol.

p.s. There is a dedicated Pro1 Yahoo Group - not much going on at the moment but that will
change in the future months - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powershotpro1/ might be worth
asking there too. (Z)

Zol.

"Bob Cotter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <0SLpc.35885$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> "Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, So far with my Pro1, I`ve used a 1Gb microdrive & 256Mb Lexar CF Cards
> > with it and have
> > shot in the raw format (crw) which takes up aprox 9Mb of space per image so I
> > get aprox 114
> > Images per disk before transfering to a portable storage device that I carry.
> > Obviously if
> > you shoot in JPG, you will get a lot more images per CF/Disk and always have
> > the luxury of
> > converting shots to raw after you`ve taken them by pressing the function
> > button whilst the
> > image is being reviewed.

> I read that in the manual and have done that. Unfortunately, the
> software I use for storing my images (iPhoto) will not read the RAW
> format.
>
> Cheers... Bob
>
> --
> If replying by email, please remove the removes.

One of the things I looked for when I bought my SmartDisk FlashTrax device was that it could
store & also view raw files (preview) - a big issue at the time because I was in another
country when I bought it.

Zol.