Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > work in group on an asp.net v2 website

work in group on an asp.net v2 website

Nick Wouters

Dear All

my second question here ->

We are going to rebuild an existing website from classic asp to ASP.net v2.
We are fully aware we better build this website again, so we made a team of
9 persons who are going to build this website again.

Now what is the best way to work in group in ASP.NET , all users have
Microsoft Visual Web Developper Express installed and the site
is hosted (so not our own webserver).

Please help us out because we are all rather new in asp.net version 2.

Thanks in advance...

Nick Wouters (newbie)

Greg Young

I would start by setting up a staging server that you can all integrate to /
test with ... (you can then push from that machine to a hosted environment).
All development should be done/tested with local copies of a then pushed to
the integration machine once the functionality is working (depending what
source control you use, you may be able to automate this step on check ins
or just make it daily)

Cheers,

Greg Young
MVP - C#
"Nick Wouters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:445f020c$0$11130$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear All
>
> my second question here ->
>
> We are going to rebuild an existing website from classic asp to ASP.net
> v2.
> We are fully aware we better build this website again, so we made a team
> of 9 persons who are going to build this website again.
>
> Now what is the best way to work in group in ASP.NET , all users have
> Microsoft Visual Web Developper Express installed and the site
> is hosted (so not our own webserver).
>
> Please help us out because we are all rather new in asp.net version 2.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Nick Wouters (newbie)

Nick Wouters

Thanks

We will try this...

Best Regards

Nick

"Greg Young" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ux%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would start by setting up a staging server that you can all integrate to
>/ test with ... (you can then push from that machine to a hosted
>environment). All development should be done/tested with local copies of a
>then pushed to the integration machine once the functionality is working
>(depending what source control you use, you may be able to automate this
>step on check ins or just make it daily)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Greg Young
> MVP - C#
> "Nick Wouters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:445f020c$0$11130$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dear All
>>
>> my second question here ->
>>
>> We are going to rebuild an existing website from classic asp to ASP.net
>> v2.
>> We are fully aware we better build this website again, so we made a team
>> of 9 persons who are going to build this website again.
>>
>> Now what is the best way to work in group in ASP.NET , all users have
>> Microsoft Visual Web Developper Express installed and the site
>> is hosted (so not our own webserver).
>>
>> Please help us out because we are all rather new in asp.net version 2.
>>
>> Thanks in advance...
>>
>> Nick Wouters (newbie)

Hello Nick,

I strongly suggest using some kind of source control (try Subversion,
it is pretty easy to use)...

Without Source Control it would be very hard for the 9 people to not
step on each other toes.

Regards,
Vaibhav

Ray Booysen

Nick Wouters wrote:
> Dear All
>
> my second question here ->
>
> We are going to rebuild an existing website from classic asp to ASP.net v2.
> We are fully aware we better build this website again, so we made a team of
> 9 persons who are going to build this website again.
>
> Now what is the best way to work in group in ASP.NET , all users have
> Microsoft Visual Web Developper Express installed and the site
> is hosted (so not our own webserver).
>
> Please help us out because we are all rather new in asp.net version 2.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Nick Wouters (newbie)

Source control is a must. And some sort of a development server to test
against before uploading.

And definitely a bug tracking system. With a team of 9 developers, I'm
guessing that its a big site. Therefore you need something to track
issues that crop up and have a method to track and fix them.

Regards
Ray

Flinky Wisty Pomm

Subversion works _really_ nicely with FogBugz as a bug tracking system.
It's pretty cheap as well, and SVN is free software so the two make a
really powerful, low-cost combo.

Nick Wouters

Thanks

But we don't have our own servers, we are just a group of vollenteers
working for a non-profit company.
So there is no money to buy our own server and the 9 people are all on
different locations.
The site is pretty big.

If every user always upload the changed file on a testing directory at the
host, we can solve that problem but I don't think this is workable.
I see a lot of disadvantages on this model

So no solution yet...

Nick

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

Nick Wouters wrote:
> Thanks
>
> But we don't have our own servers, we are just a group of vollenteers
> working for a non-profit company.
> So there is no money to buy our own server and the 9 people are all on
> different locations.
> The site is pretty big.
>
> If every user always upload the changed file on a testing directory at the
> host, we can solve that problem but I don't think this is workable.
> I see a lot of disadvantages on this model
>
> So no solution yet...
>
> Nick
>

> "Flinky Wisty Pomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Subversion works _really_ nicely with FogBugz as a bug tracking system.
>> It's pretty cheap as well, and SVN is free software so the two make a
>> really powerful, low-cost combo.

Nick, What happens if two people work on the same file and upload one
after the other? It means the first person's work is gone!

Even for a non-profit organisation, there needs to be some way to handle
merging of code with some sort of source code management system.

Regards
Ray

Flinky Wisty Pomm

If one of you has a static IP, available for 5 a year from your
broadband company, you can set up a source control server on a home
computer. You could even use a service like www.no-ip.org and save
yourself an annual fiver. There really isn't much need for a high-end
server, but you WILL regret not having source control when the worst
happens.

I've worked both with and without, and I would not ever give up my
svn/fogbugz combo because it means I can see what's changed, why, and
roll back any problems that arise. It means that all developers are
working on fresh code, and once a bug is fixed, it stays fixed -
there's never the problem where an old version of a file creeps back in
and breaks something. You should at least look at subversion/tortoise
SVN - the tools and the server are free, all you need is a machine to
host the server on.

Nick Wouters

OK

well understood , thanks