Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT: LCD vs. Plasma flat screen TV?

OT: LCD vs. Plasma flat screen TV?

Robert Kim

Hi, all. Hope nobody minds an OT post. I just don't know where else to
ask and you all are knowledgeable about digital images.

I'm thinking of buying a 41-inch flat screen TV for my house. I was
leaning towards plasma but then a friend said that LCD was better and that
plasma TV's failed after about 6 months. Could someone please suggest
which one would be better to get and why? These cost about $5000 each and
I'd rather get the better one.

TIA, Bob

mark_digital

"Robert Kim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed) urdue.edu...
:Hi, all. Hope nobody minds an OT post. I just don't know where else to
:ask and you all are knowledgeable about digital images.

:I'm thinking of buying a 41-inch flat screen TV for my house. I was
:leaning towards plasma but then a friend said that LCD was better and that
lasma TV's failed after about 6 months. Could someone please suggest
:which one would be better to get and why? These cost about $5000 each and
:I'd rather get the better one.

:TIA, Bob
--------
I won't address your friends silly failure comment but I will say
plasmas throw off a lot of heat. Energy consumption is quite high.
This is something to consider if you cool your home.

mark_

JMooreTS

>I'm thinking of buying a 41-inch flat screen TV for my house. I was
>leaning towards plasma but then a friend said that LCD was better and that
>plasma TV's failed after about 6 months. Could someone please suggest
>which one would be better to get and why? These cost about $5000 each and
>I'd rather get the better one.

Bob,

My advice is to go to a store which has floor models of each and compare the
pictures yourself. My guess is that you'll be happiest with what you think
looks best. I like LCD, but then your mileage may differ.

Enjoy your shopping. I'm jealous (having only a RPTV).

John

JR

Plasma's have better color and off axis veiwing. They are rated to not
last as long and have an extreme issue with screen burn in. LCD's are
better viewed more straight on, have better resolution and are rated to
last longer. Most of the LCD's have an anti burn in function. LCD's
are heavier and can't be hung on walls, you will need a ledge or a
shelf, while plasmas can be mounted directly on a wall. I would
personally get the biggest Sony Tube....The XBR 40" will blow away both
the Plasma and LCD...It's huge though. Better color, Better resolution,
and it will last much longer and not as prone to screen burn. I have it
and I have not regretted getting it. HD programs are AWESOME.....My
next tv will be the 70" LCD when they get a little better. By the way
the 40" Sony XBR is $2500.

JR

JustEd

JR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Plasma's have better color and off axis veiwing. They are rated to not
> last as long and have an extreme issue with screen burn in. LCD's are
> better viewed more straight on, have better resolution and are rated to
> last longer. Most of the LCD's have an anti burn in function. LCD's
> are heavier and can't be hung on walls, you will need a ledge or a
> shelf, while plasmas can be mounted directly on a wall. I would
> personally get the biggest Sony Tube....The XBR 40" will blow away both
> the Plasma and LCD...It's huge though. Better color, Better resolution,
> and it will last much longer and not as prone to screen burn. I have it
> and I have not regretted getting it. HD programs are AWESOME.....My
> next tv will be the 70" LCD when they get a little better. By the way
> the 40" Sony XBR is $2500.
>
> JR

I have the NEC 50" Plasma and cannot fault it - burn-in is a worry but
I have not seen it in 12 months. Yes it has a screen saver function,
yes a ghost can remain on screen after say showing 4x3 pics, but it's
barely noticeable and disappears in no time. I researched before I
bought and found many references to 30 year life. The resolution is
fantastic.

JR

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (JustEd) wrote:

> JR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Plasma's have better color and off axis veiwing. They are rated to not
> > last as long and have an extreme issue with screen burn in. LCD's are
> > better viewed more straight on, have better resolution and are rated to
> > last longer. Most of the LCD's have an anti burn in function. LCD's
> > are heavier and can't be hung on walls, you will need a ledge or a
> > shelf, while plasmas can be mounted directly on a wall. I would
> > personally get the biggest Sony Tube....The XBR 40" will blow away both
> > the Plasma and LCD...It's huge though. Better color, Better resolution,
> > and it will last much longer and not as prone to screen burn. I have it
> > and I have not regretted getting it. HD programs are AWESOME.....My
> > next tv will be the 70" LCD when they get a little better. By the way
> > the 40" Sony XBR is $2500.
> >
> > JR

> I have the NEC 50" Plasma and cannot fault it - burn-in is a worry but
> I have not seen it in 12 months. Yes it has a screen saver function,
> yes a ghost can remain on screen after say showing 4x3 pics, but it's
> barely noticeable and disappears in no time. I researched before I
> bought and found many references to 30 year life. The resolution is
> fantastic.

That sounds like a great unit....The reserch I have seen and gotten from
Sony was 7 year life...How much is the NEC 50"?

JR

Robert Kim

On Sun, 16 May 2004, JR wrote:

> Plasma's have better color and off axis veiwing. They are rated to not
> last as long and have an extreme issue with screen burn in. LCD's are
> better viewed more straight on, have better resolution and are rated to
> last longer. Most of the LCD's have an anti burn in function. LCD's
> are heavier and can't be hung on walls, you will need a ledge or a
> shelf, while plasmas can be mounted directly on a wall. I would
> personally get the biggest Sony Tube....The XBR 40" will blow away both
> the Plasma and LCD...It's huge though. Better color, Better resolution,
> and it will last much longer and not as prone to screen burn. I have it
> and I have not regretted getting it. HD programs are AWESOME.....My
> next tv will be the 70" LCD when they get a little better. By the way
> the 40" Sony XBR is $2500.
>
> JR

Thank you, JR and Mark. I was thinking of hanging it off a wall as there
is no ledge (yet) where I wanted to place it but the burn-in and energy
consumption/heat output are a bit of a concern. Now I'm leaning towards a
LCD on a ledge.

Bob

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed) e.edu>,
Robert Kim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 2004, JR wrote:
>
> > Plasma's have better color and off axis veiwing. They are rated to not
> > last as long and have an extreme issue with screen burn in. LCD's are
> > better viewed more straight on, have better resolution and are rated to
> > last longer. Most of the LCD's have an anti burn in function. LCD's
> > are heavier and can't be hung on walls, you will need a ledge or a
> > shelf, while plasmas can be mounted directly on a wall. I would
> > personally get the biggest Sony Tube....The XBR 40" will blow away both
> > the Plasma and LCD...It's huge though. Better color, Better resolution,
> > and it will last much longer and not as prone to screen burn. I have it
> > and I have not regretted getting it. HD programs are AWESOME.....My
> > next tv will be the 70" LCD when they get a little better. By the way
> > the 40" Sony XBR is $2500.
> >
> > JR

> Thank you, JR and Mark. I was thinking of hanging it off a wall as there
> is no ledge (yet) where I wanted to place it but the burn-in and energy
> consumption/heat output are a bit of a concern. Now I'm leaning towards a
> LCD on a ledge.
>
> Bob

Isn't there also a problem with gas leakage with plasma that has to be
replaced or recharged after a few years?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Robert Kim

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Bob Salomon wrote:

> Isn't there also a problem with gas leakage with plasma that has to be
> replaced or recharged after a few years?

Whoa, thanks for the heads up, Bob. I don't know if it's true but I'm
REALLY leaning towards LCD now.

Bob

charlene93727 charlene93727 is offline
Junior Member

We've had our 50" Vizio Plasma TV for about a year. Last night, we heard a pop and then the screen went dark. We've been looking at other complaints this morning, and this seems to be a very commen problem with plazma TV's from every brand. It costs about $500 to fix, and the failure happens about every 6 months to a year. Also, it is extreemly difficult to find someone who can repair it. If I had known any of this a year ago, we definately would have gone with LCD instead.