Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon COOLPIX 5000

Nikon COOLPIX 5000

Chris Kidd

Hi,
I have a problem with a Nikon Coolpix 5000.

It appears to work fine - except that no image is displayed on the monitor -
although the menu and status information is (i.e. the LCD works).

When the shutter is depressed it appears to take a picture - the image
'number' is incremented, but no image is actually written to the CF card.

I've tried several (5) difference CF cards ... . One oddity, on the LCD
screen below the 'MONITOR' text (top right) there is a blinking circle
(looks a little like the timer icon).

Any ideas?

Chris

Christopher Muto

before my cp5000 completely died with similar symptoms, for some reason i
was able to get the lcd to come on if it was flush against the body... but
if it was away from the body it would not display an image... after being
repaired once by nikon under warranty, it developed the same problem again
just outside of warranty and now i contemplate if it is worth getting fixed.

"Chris Kidd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c7vcba$oo0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have a problem with a Nikon Coolpix 5000.
>
> It appears to work fine - except that no image is displayed on the

monitor -
> although the menu and status information is (i.e. the LCD works).
>
> When the shutter is depressed it appears to take a picture - the image
> 'number' is incremented, but no image is actually written to the CF card.
>
> I've tried several (5) difference CF cards ... . One oddity, on the LCD
> screen below the 'MONITOR' text (top right) there is a blinking circle
> (looks a little like the timer icon).
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Chris

Cinnamon Pham

Just out of curiosity, how many pics did you take before your 5000 died? I'm
somewhere around 9,000. the camera is still doing well. of those 9,000 i
don't think even one fifth were keepers.

i also would like to ask if anyone who has the extended service plan from
best buy has sent it to be cleaned, and has any stories to tell. the sales
rep said they'd send it to a local place and take it apart and clean it
inside out. i also get a new battery each year. thanks.

news:ExMoc.54494$(E-Mail Removed)...