Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Any bargain digital cameras out there at the moment?

Any bargain digital cameras out there at the moment?

James Lawrence

Hi folks.

Please can anyone recommend a digital camera to me.
It's going to be a birthday present for my Mum's 60th.

The main criteria I'm looking for are:

1. Good picture quality (at least about 3m pixels?).
2. A decent optical zoom (about 3x?)
3. Easy to use (my mum hasn't used a digital camera before!)

I'm looking to spend up to about 150 (200 tops).

Thanks very much in advance,
James.

dave

I can sell you a POwershot A70 for 150?
6 months old, and I'll throw in 8 rechargeable batteries and charger, soft
case???

Let me know
"James Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40a287ca$0$20513$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks.
>
> Please can anyone recommend a digital camera to me.
> It's going to be a birthday present for my Mum's 60th.
>
> The main criteria I'm looking for are:
>
> 1. Good picture quality (at least about 3m pixels?).
> 2. A decent optical zoom (about 3x?)
> 3. Easy to use (my mum hasn't used a digital camera before!)
>
> I'm looking to spend up to about 150 (200 tops).
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
> James.

bagal

Does a Fuji FinePix A405 at less than 80 spondoolies sound good to you?

It is a 2Mp with interpolation to 4Mp

If your Mum is a bit like me and needs reading glasses the (relatively)
large dial to switch from still to review to movie mode is a real doddle and
beats menu driven systems (IMHO)

There are no complicated or overly complicated menus either. The only real
danger is switching to Macro mode without realising it. If the 405's in
auto it works around that possible glitch

IMHO 6 by 4 and 7 by 5 prints are the best I have ever seen - better than
film based cameras period

the bagal has landed

"James Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40a287ca$0$20513$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks.
>
> Please can anyone recommend a digital camera to me.
> It's going to be a birthday present for my Mum's 60th.
>
> The main criteria I'm looking for are:
>
> 1. Good picture quality (at least about 3m pixels?).
> 2. A decent optical zoom (about 3x?)
> 3. Easy to use (my mum hasn't used a digital camera before!)
>
> I'm looking to spend up to about 150 (200 tops).
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
> James.

dirtycow

> Hi folks.
>
> Please can anyone recommend a digital camera to me.
> It's going to be a birthday present for my Mum's 60th.
>
> The main criteria I'm looking for are:
>
> 1. Good picture quality (at least about 3m pixels?).
> 2. A decent optical zoom (about 3x?)
> 3. Easy to use (my mum hasn't used a digital camera before!)
>
> I'm looking to spend up to about 150 (200 tops).

I've got a Nikon Coolpix 995 in mint condition, boxed, that you can have for
190. Heres a review:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp995/

Its a 3.34 megapixel with a 4X zoom. If you'd like any more info, drop me an
email:
matt (AT) feenster (DOT) co (DOT) uk

Cheers,
Matt

Marvin Margoshes

"James Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40a287ca$0$20513$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks.
>
> Please can anyone recommend a digital camera to me.
> It's going to be a birthday present for my Mum's 60th.
>
> The main criteria I'm looking for are:
>
> 1. Good picture quality (at least about 3m pixels?).
> 2. A decent optical zoom (about 3x?)
> 3. Easy to use (my mum hasn't used a digital camera before!)
>
> I'm looking to spend up to about 150 (200 tops).
>
> Thanks very much in advance,
> James.
>
> There arre lots of choices, especially if oyu choose a 2 MP camera, which

will make perfectly fine snapshot-sized prints. If mom has a film camera
she is comfortable with, perhaps a digicam of the same make will look and
operate much like the film camera, which will make the change easier for
her.

I did that for my wife's birthday 2 1/2 years ago. She was happy to have
it, but announced that she would contoinue to use her film camera as well.
She soon forgot about film.

puss@purrpurr.com

On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:28:22 -0400, "Marvin Margoshes"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"James Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:40a287ca$0$20513$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> Please can anyone recommend a digital camera to me.
>> It's going to be a birthday present for my Mum's 60th.
>>
>> The main criteria I'm looking for are:
>>
>> 1. Good picture quality (at least about 3m pixels?).
>> 2. A decent optical zoom (about 3x?)
>> 3. Easy to use (my mum hasn't used a digital camera before!)
>>
>> I'm looking to spend up to about 150 (200 tops).
>>
>> Thanks very much in advance,
>> James.
>>
>> There arre lots of choices, especially if oyu choose a 2 MP camera, which

>will make perfectly fine snapshot-sized prints. If mom has a film camera
>she is comfortable with, perhaps a digicam of the same make will look and
>operate much like the film camera, which will make the change easier for
>her.
>
>I did that for my wife's birthday 2 1/2 years ago. She was happy to have
>it, but announced that she would contoinue to use her film camera as well.
>She soon forgot about film.

he Sony F717 would be on of the best bargains..

Gr@y

Look Here

---

kreb

Keith said:

I think you are wise to stay with the,minimum in case she wants 8x10s.

Stay with, pure, point and shoot, if she wants good pictures with relative
ease of use.. I had a Sony 5.? at 3.?mp once and it just took perfect point
and shoot pictures. If your mom wants something more elaborate then look to
the Fuji s5000 on auto.

I have mentioned Sony and Fuji because I had the Sony and Fuji s5000 and I
liked both but I am the type of person that needs full control for
focussing, flash etc. so I am looking at the Fuji s7000.

Many here have recommended other models, and I agree, the Sony and Fuji are
not the only good cameras.

Good luck if I can help let me know.

Let us not underestimate the knowledge and ability of a 60 year old, they
are in some instances much smarter than most. Intelligence is not limited
to the younger aged human animal.

I think you are smart in considering a digital camera for your mother.

Keith