Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > dpreview test: Leica Digilux 2 blows away Canon G5

Reply
Thread Tools

dpreview test: Leica Digilux 2 blows away Canon G5

 
 
ThomasH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2004
I just saw the recent test of the Digilux 2 (alias Panasonic
DMC LC-1...) of dpreview. I think that the optical results
show clearly how much can be improved in the "point and
shot" digital cameras! Even the acclaimed Powershot G5 is
not a match to the Leica/Panasonic.

Of course probably only a narrow spectrum of users will be
willing to pay $1800 for such camera, but I am sure that
Leica aficionados are not disappointed! You are really
getting some value for the money!

The most surprising fact to me is that this color fidelity
and low noise have been achieved with the same tiny 2/3"
sensor! Somehow I though that this sensor is bigger...
Leicas announcement was "The 2/3-inch image sensor is
extremely large". Hm... whatever they mean by that,
considering its properties, it is sure not the commonly
used Sony sensor...

Thomas
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BG250
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2004
It is a very good camera indeed. I too was impressed with the low noise and
almost no CA. There was some expense of resolution at higher speeds to
smooth out the noise but IMO, it was better than having the noise. Low
amount of artifacts in the image was very good as well for such a small
sensor.

It is no match for a dSLR sensor. It is a big step in the right direction.
For the price, it had better be.

I thought the built in flash with bounce mode was pretty cool.
bg

"ThomasH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just saw the recent test of the Digilux 2 (alias Panasonic
> DMC LC-1...) of dpreview. I think that the optical results
> show clearly how much can be improved in the "point and
> shot" digital cameras! Even the acclaimed Powershot G5 is
> not a match to the Leica/Panasonic.
>
> Of course probably only a narrow spectrum of users will be
> willing to pay $1800 for such camera, but I am sure that
> Leica aficionados are not disappointed! You are really
> getting some value for the money!
>
> The most surprising fact to me is that this color fidelity
> and low noise have been achieved with the same tiny 2/3"
> sensor! Somehow I though that this sensor is bigger...
> Leicas announcement was "The 2/3-inch image sensor is
> extremely large". Hm... whatever they mean by that,
> considering its properties, it is sure not the commonly
> used Sony sensor...
>
> Thomas



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bowzre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2004
I always thought the G5 was very noisy, and didn't produce as smooth or nice
an image as the G3.

"ThomasH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just saw the recent test of the Digilux 2 (alias Panasonic
> DMC LC-1...) of dpreview. I think that the optical results
> show clearly how much can be improved in the "point and
> shot" digital cameras! Even the acclaimed Powershot G5 is
> not a match to the Leica/Panasonic.
>
> Of course probably only a narrow spectrum of users will be
> willing to pay $1800 for such camera, but I am sure that
> Leica aficionados are not disappointed! You are really
> getting some value for the money!
>
> The most surprising fact to me is that this color fidelity
> and low noise have been achieved with the same tiny 2/3"
> sensor! Somehow I though that this sensor is bigger...
> Leicas announcement was "The 2/3-inch image sensor is
> extremely large". Hm... whatever they mean by that,
> considering its properties, it is sure not the commonly
> used Sony sensor...
>
> Thomas



 
Reply With Quote
 
ThomasH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
BG250 wrote:
>
> It is a very good camera indeed. I too was impressed with the low noise and
> almost no CA. There was some expense of resolution at higher speeds to
> smooth out the noise but IMO, it was better than having the noise. Low
> amount of artifacts in the image was very good as well for such a small
> sensor.
>
> It is no match for a dSLR sensor. It is a big step in the right direction.
> For the price, it had better be.
>
> I thought the built in flash with bounce mode was pretty cool.


Absolutely, it is a simple measure, cheap to make actually.
I wonder why such feature is not present in *all* prosumer
cameras. They are all quite expensive actually, why not to
add a few parts to provide such indirect flash projection...

Thomas


> bg
>
> "ThomasH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just saw the recent test of the Digilux 2 (alias Panasonic
> > DMC LC-1...) of dpreview. I think that the optical results
> > show clearly how much can be improved in the "point and
> > shot" digital cameras! Even the acclaimed Powershot G5 is
> > not a match to the Leica/Panasonic.
> >
> > Of course probably only a narrow spectrum of users will be
> > willing to pay $1800 for such camera, but I am sure that
> > Leica aficionados are not disappointed! You are really
> > getting some value for the money!
> >
> > The most surprising fact to me is that this color fidelity
> > and low noise have been achieved with the same tiny 2/3"
> > sensor! Somehow I though that this sensor is bigger...
> > Leicas announcement was "The 2/3-inch image sensor is
> > extremely large". Hm... whatever they mean by that,
> > considering its properties, it is sure not the commonly
> > used Sony sensor...
> >
> > Thomas

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mats Weber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ThomasH <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Absolutely, it is a simple measure, cheap to make actually.
>I wonder why such feature is not present in *all* prosumer
>cameras. They are all quite expensive actually, why not to
>add a few parts to provide such indirect flash projection...


Because a guide number of 11 to 15 m is just not enough for bounce flash
in most cases.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Salomon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mats Weber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ThomasH <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Absolutely, it is a simple measure, cheap to make actually.
> >I wonder why such feature is not present in *all* prosumer
> >cameras. They are all quite expensive actually, why not to
> >add a few parts to provide such indirect flash projection...

>
> Because a guide number of 11 to 15 m is just not enough for bounce flash
> in most cases.


A GN of 50 in feet (15 in meters) is enough to do some bounce flash work
in smaller rooms or at closer distances.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
 
Reply With Quote
 
ArtKramr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
>Subject: Re: dpreview test: Leica Digilux 2 blows away Canon G5
>From: Bob Salomon http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 5/13/04 6:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>Message-id: <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mats Weber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ThomasH <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Absolutely, it is a simple measure, cheap to make actually.
>> >I wonder why such feature is not present in *all* prosumer
>> >cameras. They are all quite expensive actually, why not to
>> >add a few parts to provide such indirect flash projection...

>>
>> Because a guide number of 11 to 15 m is just not enough for bounce flash
>> in most cases.

>
>A GN of 50 in feet (15 in meters) is enough to do some bounce flash work
>in smaller rooms or at closer distances.
>
>--
>To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.



Hi Bob,

I put a small strip of foil at a 45 degree angle in front of the flash on my
6490. Viola ! Bouce flash. Good for fairly close work or in small spaces..

Regards,

Arthur
Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Salomon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (ArtKramr) wrote:

> >Subject: Re: dpreview test: Leica Digilux 2 blows away Canon G5
> >From: Bob Salomon (E-Mail Removed)
> >Date: 5/13/04 6:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> >Message-id: <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Mats Weber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ThomasH <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Absolutely, it is a simple measure, cheap to make actually.
> >> >I wonder why such feature is not present in *all* prosumer
> >> >cameras. They are all quite expensive actually, why not to
> >> >add a few parts to provide such indirect flash projection...
> >>
> >> Because a guide number of 11 to 15 m is just not enough for bounce flash
> >> in most cases.

> >
> >A GN of 50 in feet (15 in meters) is enough to do some bounce flash work
> >in smaller rooms or at closer distances.
> >
> >--
> >To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

>
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> I put a small strip of foil at a 45 degree angle in front of the flash on my
> 6490. Viola ! Bouce flash. Good for fairly close work or in small spaces..
>
> Regards,
>
> Arthur
> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer


Art,

If it is aluminum foil you should to a white balance as aluminum foil
can reflect blue.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thad
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2004
ThomasH wrote:

> I just saw the recent test of the Digilux 2 (alias Panasonic
> DMC LC-1...) of dpreview. I think that the optical results
> show clearly how much can be improved in the "point and
> shot" digital cameras! Even the acclaimed Powershot G5 is
> not a match to the Leica/Panasonic.
>



"In some crops the Digilux 2 is looking slightly sharper, in others the
G5 has the edge but overall there's very little difference between these
two cameras. Perhaps the only noticeable difference is the color
response with the Digilux 2 producing better reds and blues, the G5
better greens." -Phil Askey


Sounds close enough to me, considering the enormous price difference.

--

-Thad L.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joseph Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2004

> Art,
>
> If it is aluminum foil you should to a white balance as aluminum foil
> can reflect blue.
>


Aluminum foil will reflect only as much blue light as was originally in
the flash itself. The reflected light from aluminum is not
significantly bluer than the source light.

Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DP Review Leica Digilux 2 Review Thad Digital Photography 9 05-12-2004 11:55 AM
canon G5 or Leica digilux 1 esotericduo@hotmail.com Digital Photography 8 04-01-2004 08:00 PM
Noise and Leica Digilux 2 Jimmy Smith Digital Photography 0 12-21-2003 02:50 PM
Let's talk about more about the new Leica Digilux 2 Jimmy Smith Digital Photography 2 12-05-2003 10:44 AM
Giveaway: Damaged Leica Digilux Zoom AES/newspost Digital Photography 0 11-27-2003 05:09 PM



Advertisments