Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Coolpix 5700 or Nikon D100

Nikon Coolpix 5700 or Nikon D100

Larry R Harrison Jr

I have purchaed a Nikon Coolpix 5700 (hasn't arrived yet--about a week
away), as I'm tired of the limitations of a point & shoot model the 2MP
Coolpix 775. That model's fine for everyday "snapshot" crap but surely not
for any photo outings I may do.

Well not being able to pony up $1000 for a D70--as great a camera as it
surely is--I went for the 5700. Paid not quite $500 for it. Now already I'm
seeing as maybe I could've got a D100; occurs to me maybe you could get one
cheaper since the D70 arrived, and unlike say the D1 (not the D1x) or Canon
D30 or Fuji S1 it's still current enough to not be ridiculously out of date.

Well thing is, I do have a Nikon N80 which I love to pieces but in my case I
think "going digital" is probably the thing for me. I use computers a lot,
have 3 of them ranging from 350 MHz to 1.8 Gigahertz in power, the latter of
which also has a 160 gigabyte hard drive, a photo printer, and a DVD+RW
device--and has Nikon software and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 installed. (For the
record, I do also have a perfectly-working Kodak slide projector; I shoot
95%+ slides with the N80.)

I make my living in the computer realm anyway--photography is a hobby not a
career by any means--and on one hand yeah something like the 5700 or even a
4500 (or something like the Olympus C-4000) could be enough for "hobby
usage," yet I'm spoiled by the N80's quick reflexes and the way you can
access things like flash compensation, AF mode etc with direct controls as
opposed to menus--and wonder how I'd fare with an "all-in-one" design vs a
D-SLR--even with a top-end all-in-one like the 5700.

So I'm thinking--rather than having a 5700 and an N80--maybe in my case it
would be better to sell the N80 and if I can get a good $750 or so price for
a D100 body (I have 3 Nikon G-lenses already--plus a hotshoe flash & filters
etc) then if I were to sell the 5700 and N80 then I'd be left with the D100
all by itself and that might be better in my case. I've noticed that N80's
are going for around $200 body only--I paid $280 for mine last year--and
5700's are going for close to $450. That would give me $650 if I "sell out,"
and if D100's are going for $800 I'd only be $150 away from one. (Yes I'd
only be $350 from a D70, but I have to draw the line somewhere.)

See--while no doubt the 5700's photo quality seems to be
professional-caliber and surely well above Coolpix 775 territory I'm
thinking--if the N80 ends up sitting in the closet while I use the 5700
about 95% of the time (which I am honestly projecting as the likely scenario
even though I LOVE the N80 and good old-fashioned slides) then wouldn't it
better to sell the 5700 for $450, sell the N80 for $200 on eBay--then I'd
only be $150 or so shy from having a D100 to replace both of them if one
shows up on eBay at or near the $750 pricepoint.

The compactness of the 5700 would be kind of cool, as well as the
all-in-oneness and the live-preview of the LCD--but I'm thinking the quicker
responsiveness of the D100 vs the 5700 would be more of an advantage.
Perhaps the D100 would do better blowups as well once you get in the 11x14
range. Besides, I already have 28-300 mm of zoom coverage with my N80 and of
course the D100 would inherit it also.

Then again, I'm thinking--just stay with the 5700 for a couple of years or
so, then sell it & the N80 out when the D70's replacement comes in a couple
of years or so. But wouldn't by then the N80 and 5700 be less valuable and
thus if I'm pondering all of this wouldn't it be better to "sell out" now
while both are still highly desired on the market?

Tips? I do apologize if I'm all over the map here.

Thad

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

> Tips? I do apologize if I'm all over the map here.

No problem. I know the feeling.

Since you already have all the Nikon glass and accessories, I would
bypass both the noise-ridden (compared to a DSLR) 5700 and the
D100saurus Rex and try to get the money together for a new D70 body.
You've already got the lenses. You won't need to buy the kit. Don't take
chances on buying a used digital camera. Sure, you could get lucky. But
you could also find yourself in a living nightmare.

Go for a new D70. You won't regret it. Noise levels at ISO 800 are
excellent. Find a way and make it happen! I'm about to do the same.

--

-Thad L.

gsum

Er, the D70 aand D100 share many components including the sensor.
The D100 has a metal body and has a few features that are missing from
the D70so its not a dinosaur yet.

I agree with the other comments though.

Graham

"Thad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
>
> > Tips? I do apologize if I'm all over the map here.

> No problem. I know the feeling.
>
> Since you already have all the Nikon glass and accessories, I would
> bypass both the noise-ridden (compared to a DSLR) 5700 and the
> D100saurus Rex and try to get the money together for a new D70 body.
> You've already got the lenses. You won't need to buy the kit. Don't take
> chances on buying a used digital camera. Sure, you could get lucky. But
> you could also find yourself in a living nightmare.
>
> Go for a new D70. You won't regret it. Noise levels at ISO 800 are
> excellent. Find a way and make it happen! I'm about to do the same.
>
> --
>
> -Thad L.

John H

On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:05:22 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>shows up on eBay at or near the $750 pricepoint.
>
>The compactness of the 5700 would be kind of cool, as well as the
>all-in-oneness and the live-preview of the LCD--but I'm thinking the quicker
>responsiveness of the D100 vs the 5700 would be more of an advantage.
>Perhaps the D100 would do better blowups as well once you get in the 11x14
>range. Besides, I already have 28-300 mm of zoom coverage with my N80 and of
>course the D100 would inherit it also.
>
>Then again, I'm thinking--just stay with the 5700 for a couple of years or
>so, then sell it & the N80 out when the D70's replacement comes in a couple
>of years or so. But wouldn't by then the N80 and 5700 be less valuable and
>thus if I'm pondering all of this wouldn't it be better to "sell out" now
>while both are still highly desired on the market?
>
>Tips? I do apologize if I'm all over the map here.

I bought the 5700 and was kicking myself for not waiting and getting the D70.
Gave the 5700 to my wife and bouoght the D70. Love it!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

misifus

I have a 5700, and my son-in-law has a D-100. The advantages of
the 5700 are the small size and the flip-out LCD screen, which
can be used to establish your shot in difficult positions. And,
of course, there is a fair range of focal lengths and macro built in.

The advantage of the D-100 are that it is much faster than the
5700, eliminating the waiting for the camera to process the
image. This is not a problem when shooting JPEGs, even high
quality ones, but it is an issue with RAW (NEF). The other
advantages of the DSLR is that the lenses are changable, and the
camera is more flexible than the 5700.

I will say that I haven't seen the D-100 at the same price as the
5700. It seems to be still more expensive than the D-70.

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert