Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Configuring Internet over a wireless and ethernet connection

Configuring Internet over a wireless and ethernet connection

=?Utf-8?B?WGFuZGVy?=

I recently purchased a Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway (WAG54G) so that I
could share my broadband connection between my Windows 2000 computer and my
windows XP home edition computer. The XP computer is connected to the Gateway
via ethernet and the 2000 by wireless PCI card. The problem is that the two
computers will not interact with each other, therefore disabling file sharing
capabilities. The internet does split between the two computers occasionally
and is very tempramental. Do I need to buy a wireless connection for my XP
computer, or is there some way to fix this problem?

Ryan Younger

You could install a wireless adapter in the XP machine (using it as the host
as it has a wired Internet connection), setup an ad hoc wireless network
which the 2000 machine can connect to and then enable ICS on the host
machine. However, that would defeat the object of purchasing a Linksys
'Wireless'-G ADSL Gateway (WAG54G).

I think it would be more sensible to troubleshoot the issue. Are both
machines at the latest service packs (XP SP2 and 2000 SP4) with all the
latest hotfixes? Is your 2000 machine using the latest wireless NIC
drivers? Does your AP assign an IP address to both the 2000 and XP machine
within the same range/scope? How is the Windows Firewall Client configured
on your XP machine, do you have any third party firewall software enabled on
either machine? Can each machine ping the other, are they within the same
workgroup?

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
http://spaces.msn.com/members/airsick/ - My Wireless Networking Blog

"Xander" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently purchased a Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway (WAG54G) so that I
> could share my broadband connection between my Windows 2000 computer and
> my
> windows XP home edition computer. The XP computer is connected to the
> Gateway
> via ethernet and the 2000 by wireless PCI card. The problem is that the
> two
> computers will not interact with each other, therefore disabling file
> sharing
> capabilities. The internet does split between the two computers
> occasionally
> and is very tempramental. Do I need to buy a wireless connection for my XP
> computer, or is there some way to fix this problem?

Bill Whipple

Hi, Xander -

There are a set of technical articles and questions and answers that might
be of help at

http://www.itcsg.com/

You might want to start with Sharing Files and Printers on a Simple Network

http://www.itcsg.com/Tech/Sharing.shtml

There are also several good articles on Wireless Networking in the Tech
Articles section.

Hope this helps,
--
WLW