Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > minolta s414 AF problems

minolta s414 AF problems

garik

first sorry for my english
I've just buy a minolta s414 and I'm disappointed for
the AF: quite often my photos looks out of focus, also in good
light condition. there's something to do, so I could you it in
point and shoot way?
what do you think about s414 vs olympus c4000 zoom?
does the second has better autofocus to permit point and shoot?
thanks and regards

Neil Harrington

"garik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> first sorry for my english
> I've just buy a minolta s414 and I'm disappointed for
> the AF: quite often my photos looks out of focus, also in good
> light condition. there's something to do, so I could you it in
> point and shoot way?

This is a problem that many users have with the S414 (and the older S304 and
S404 as well).

The problem seems to be with the wide-area AF which is the default. Try
using spot AF instead. This has pretty much solved the problem for me and
for others too. To do this, turn the dial to M (Multifunction) instead of
Auto, then go into the menu system and select spot focus. If you don't make
any other changes, everything else will still be the same and the camera
will still work in a point-and-shoot way.

> what do you think about s414 vs olympus c4000 zoom?
> does the second has better autofocus to permit point and shoot?
> thanks and regards

The Olympus C4000 is a very nice camera, but in my opinion your Minolta S414
is better. You have a really excellent 4x zoom lens (that is, really
excellent once you get it to focus properly ) whereas the C4000 has a 3x
zoom. Your S414 takes CompactFlash cards, whereas the C4000 takes SmartMedia
which is more limited as to memory size and has been essentially abandoned
by all camera makers. (They will undoubtedly keep making SmartMedia for
years, but it will never be in a size larger than 128MB. CompactFlash is
already available in several times that size and will get much larger still.
It's one of the few safe standards.)

I don't have a C4000, though my nephew does, and he likes his. I do have a
C2040, which is an older model in the same family. I like the C2040 and it
hasn't given me autofocus problems, but then it doesn't have wide-area AF
like the Minolta either. I think if you get out of that wide-area AF mode
you'll be mostly all right in focusing. (Any AF camera may SOMETIMES give
autofocus mistakes.) The Minolta's construction seems better quality, more
solid to me than the Olympus.

Neil

garik

> The problem seems to be with the wide-area AF which is the default. Try
> using spot AF instead. This has pretty much solved the problem for me and
> for others too. To do this, turn the dial to M (Multifunction) instead of
> Auto, then go into the menu system and select spot focus. If you don't

make
> any other changes, everything else will still be the same and the camera
> will still work in a point-and-shoot way.

I'll try that
thanks

Neil Harrington

"garik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The problem seems to be with the wide-area AF which is the default. Try
> > using spot AF instead. This has pretty much solved the problem for me

and
> > for others too. To do this, turn the dial to M (Multifunction) instead

of
> > Auto, then go into the menu system and select spot focus. If you don't

> make
> > any other changes, everything else will still be the same and the camera
> > will still work in a point-and-shoot way.

> I'll try that
> thanks

Oops! Correction: You don't need to go into the menu system. Just turn the
dial to M, then hold in the center button of the controller for a few
seconds until you see the focus area indicator on the LCD monitor change
from wide area to a central spot. Actually it will give you a choice of five
different spots, which you can move around with the controller. Just set it
(or leave it) on the central one and that's that. You can turn the camera
off and on and it will stay on spot focus until you change it back (the same
way, by holding in the controller button).

This way you can switch back and forth easily from wide area to spot AF just
by turning the dial back and forth between Auto and M.

Neil

Minolta S414 or Canon S45 Anderson Digital Photography 3 08-05-2003 10:21 PM
Minolta S414 Tripod Mount Issue Dreamer Digital Photography 1 07-28-2003 04:41 PM
Minolta S414 8/12 bit problem Don Digital Photography 0 07-23-2003 04:49 PM
Minolta S414 Gav Digital Photography 2 07-23-2003 02:54 AM
Re: Buying Minolta S414 Dreamer Digital Photography 1 07-11-2003 07:53 PM

Advertisments