Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Belkin F5D7010 802.11g

Belkin F5D7010 802.11g

Lynn W

I have this belkin wireless card. I had problems after installing SP2
and ended up uninstalling SP2. I have been on to the Belkin website and
I have seen there is a driver there for this card released this
November. I have downloaded the drive (21MB). Would it be of benefit
for me to install this driver? Would it possibly mean that I could then
download SP2 and not encounter problems. Has anyone else updated their
wireless card with this driver? I have never updated drivers before so I
am bit apprehensive as to how easy it is to do and as to what the
procedures are. I am hoping it will be self explanatory. One thing I
was wondering was when you read the manual it says it is important to
install software before inserting card. Will this be the same with the
driver I have downloaded or is this just an update and will write over
the existing driver? Any help really appreciated, not very comfortable
with wireless yet.

--
Lynn
Please remove spamtrap if replying via email

Ryan Younger

I actually had an interesting time with the driver you mention for that
particular Belkin wireless adapter, in that it caused problems on a select
few machines that it was installed on (it is an unsigned driver if I
remember correctly).

Having said that, XP does feature device driver rollback so you can always
revert back to your previous driver if you are having issues. As a rule of
thumb you should always be using the latest wireless driver available and
should have XP Service Pack 2 installed. XP's Wireless Zero Configuration
is vastly superior in SP2.

--
All the best,

Ryan Younger.
http://spaces.msn.com/members/airsick/ - My Wireless Networking Blog

"Lynn W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have this belkin wireless card. I had problems after installing SP2
> and ended up uninstalling SP2. I have been on to the Belkin website and
> I have seen there is a driver there for this card released this
> November. I have downloaded the drive (21MB). Would it be of benefit
> for me to install this driver? Would it possibly mean that I could then
> download SP2 and not encounter problems. Has anyone else updated their
> wireless card with this driver? I have never updated drivers before so I
> am bit apprehensive as to how easy it is to do and as to what the
> procedures are. I am hoping it will be self explanatory. One thing I
> was wondering was when you read the manual it says it is important to
> install software before inserting card. Will this be the same with the
> driver I have downloaded or is this just an update and will write over
> the existing driver? Any help really appreciated, not very comfortable
> with wireless yet.
>
> --
> Lynn
> Please remove spamtrap if replying via email

Sanford Aranoff

I have the same Belkin. It works fine without the card. Just the router.

Lynn W

Its the card that has the new driver

--
Lynn
Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
"Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
:

Lynn W wrote:

> Its the card that has the new driver
>
> Why does one need a card if we have the router?
> :
> :

Lynn W

Router connects to my desktop via Ethernet cable. 'Card' is in my
laptop which is connecting wirelessly.

--
Lynn
Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
"Sanford Aranoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
:
: Lynn W wrote:
:
: > Its the card that has the new driver
: >
: > Why does one need a card if we have the router?
: > :
: > :
:
:

Sanford Aranoff

Lynn W wrote:

> Router connects to my desktop via Ethernet cable. 'Card' is in my
> laptop which is connecting wirelessly.
>
> I am connected via the Belkin and a cable. My wife has a laptop and
> connects wireless using the Belkin. No card needed.

Lynn W

The laptop must have been supplied with the 'wireless card' already
installed internally as most laptops are now. Mine is nearly 2 years
old and I had to buy a card to insert into the slot provided. You
couldn't connect wirelessly without there being an interface to do it.

--
: Lynn W wrote:
:
: > Router connects to my desktop via Ethernet cable. 'Card' is in my
: > laptop which is connecting wirelessly.
: >
: > I am connected via the Belkin and a cable. My wife has a laptop and
: > connects wireless using the Belkin. No card needed.
:
:

=?Utf-8?B?TG9uZG9ua2l3aQ==?=

Did you have problems connecting to the browser?
--
Thankyou

"Lynn W" wrote:

> I have this belkin wireless card. I had problems after installing SP2
> and ended up uninstalling SP2. I have been on to the Belkin website and
> I have seen there is a driver there for this card released this
> November. I have downloaded the drive (21MB). Would it be of benefit
> for me to install this driver? Would it possibly mean that I could then
> download SP2 and not encounter problems. Has anyone else updated their
> wireless card with this driver? I have never updated drivers before so I
> am bit apprehensive as to how easy it is to do and as to what the
> procedures are. I am hoping it will be self explanatory. One thing I
> was wondering was when you read the manual it says it is important to
> install software before inserting card. Will this be the same with the
> driver I have downloaded or is this just an update and will write over
> the existing driver? Any help really appreciated, not very comfortable
> with wireless yet.
>
> --
> Lynn
> Please remove spamtrap if replying via email

Lynn W

After installing SP2 the machine stopped booting up. Had to boot up in
Safe Mode which didn't rectify itself even after uninstalling SP2

--
Lynn
Please remove spamtrap if replying via email
"Londonkiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: Did you have problems connecting to the browser?
: --
: Thankyou
:
:
[...]