Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Lost control panel for Infrared Devices

Lost control panel for Infrared Devices

Jericho

I no longer see or have access to a control panel for my latop's (Evo
N800c) infrared device. Applications don't see it, nor do external
devices invoke any response from my laptop.

BIOS for infrared is ON.
Device Manager Shows a working IRDA Fast infrared port. Uninstalled
and resinstalled it again successfully. Fiddled with Infrared
Transeiver Settings based on other research without effect.
Infrared Monitor Service shows STARTED.
Wireless Zero Configuration Service running properly...
Looked at individual drivers and components, and all seem present
and intact (irda.sys, irmon.dll, irprops.cpl and irftp.exe) are binary
match the versions in the SP1 driver cab file.
Tried to start the control panel directly (connect infrared, connect
irpropos.cpl,,, etc).

Panel never appears and no error messages or event log entries.

I suspect it broke either when I updated the latop for WPA wireless
protocols, but I'm absolutely sure. Had tried to update from XP SP1 to
XP SP2, for seperate reasons, backed out the change. Didn't see it
while running SP2 either!

In googling around I see some other people with similair problems, but
no complete solution.

Any suggestions?

Jericho

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

"Jericho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I no longer see or have access to a control panel for my latop's (Evo
> N800c) infrared device. Applications don't see it, nor do external
> devices invoke any response from my laptop.
>
> BIOS for infrared is ON.
> Device Manager Shows a working IRDA Fast infrared port. Uninstalled
> and resinstalled it again successfully. Fiddled with Infrared
> Transeiver Settings based on other research without effect.
> Infrared Monitor Service shows STARTED.
> Wireless Zero Configuration Service running properly...
> Looked at individual drivers and components, and all seem present
> and intact (irda.sys, irmon.dll, irprops.cpl and irftp.exe) are binary
> match the versions in the SP1 driver cab file.
> Tried to start the control panel directly (connect infrared, connect
> irpropos.cpl,,, etc).
>
> Panel never appears and no error messages or event log entries.
>

> I suspect it broke either when I updated the latop for WPA wireless
> protocols, but I'm absolutely sure. Had tried to update from XP SP1 to
> XP SP2, for seperate reasons, backed out the change. Didn't see it
> while running SP2 either!
>
> In googling around I see some other people with similair problems, but
> no complete solution.
>

> Any suggestions?
>
> Jericho

Did you try a system restore, presuming you discovered this not very long
ago and haven't made any desired changes since then?

wa2flq

I looked into that.

Unfortunately it was a few weeks between time time I last used infrared
and noticed it was gone. There isn't a restored point far enough back.

wa2flq

Yes, I looked into that. Between the time I was used Infrared and
when I detected it was broken, more that a month had gone by. I didn't
have a restore point going back that far.

=?Utf-8?B?QWxhbiBKLiBNY0ZhcmxhbmU=?=

I doubt that it's it, but there's KB896984--"The Wireless Link icon does not
appear in the notification area...", get to it via
http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/comms/infr...0subjects.html

However logging on as administrator would have solved it, and it applies to
SP2, but maybe your machine is part SP2... Why did you rollback from SP2?
--
Alan J. McFarlane
http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/