Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Intelligent enlarging

Intelligent enlarging

David D.

The photo retouch and image format programs, that I have tried, do a poor
job of enlarging an image. (The Kodak kiosks for printing your own photos,
surprisingly, are among the worst, even though one would expect that
enlarging snapshots would be their focus).

I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist -- so
I am looking for reasonably priced software.

- David

Bart van der Wolf

"David D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
SNIP
> I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
> with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
> detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist --

so
> I am looking for reasonably priced software.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

Bart

stan@temple.edu

In rec.photo.digital David D. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The photo retouch and image format programs, that I have tried, do a poor
> job of enlarging an image. (The Kodak kiosks for printing your own photos,
> surprisingly, are among the worst, even though one would expect that
> enlarging snapshots would be their focus).

> I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
> with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
> detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist -- so
> I am looking for reasonably priced software.

What's reasonably priced for one person might be unreasonable for
another. You should check out the pxl SmartScale software that
Extensis makes. You can get info on it at http://www.extensis.com

This is a Photoshop or Elements plug-in and it does just what you want.
This software usually goes for around $120 which seems reasonable to me.
I own a copy and it works great. You can enlarge any digital image up to
1600% but note that it will not improve the quality of a digital image. If
you start with a poor quality small image, you will get a poor quality
large image with pxl SmartScale.

Matt Timmermans

"David D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
> with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
> detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist --

so
> I am looking for reasonably priced software.

Looks like you want this:

http://www.lizardtech.com/solutions/gf/

It seems to be the only really interesting product to have come out of all
that fractal compression research in the 80s and 90s.

Bill Hilton

>> I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images

>From: "Matt Timmermans" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-remove.ca
>
>Looks like you want this:
>http://www.lizardtech.com/solutions/gf/
>
>It seems to be the only really interesting product to have come out of all
>that fractal compression research in the 80s and 90s.

I have a copy of this (bundled with a scanner purchase) and I get results just
as good (often better) by doing Stair Interpolation with Photoshop. This is
enlarging scanned tiffs, not jpegs, so maybe it's wonderful for jpegs, dunno.

But for $160 (or whatever the retail price is now) I thought Genuine Fractals
was the most over-priced, over-rated software I've ever used ...

Bill

E. Mark Ping

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
David D. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
>with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
>detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist -- so
>I am looking for reasonably priced software.

I am very impressed by the job OpenOffice.org does at this. You can
find the (free) download at OpenOffice.org. Just insert a graphic
into a page and resize it.

The code is GPL which might be more or less expensive than you need.

--
Mark Ping

Hans-Georg Michna

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>What's reasonably priced for one person might be unreasonable for
>another. You should check out the pxl SmartScale software that
>Extensis makes. You can get info on it at http://www.extensis.com
>
>This is a Photoshop or Elements plug-in and it does just what you want.
>This software usually goes for around $120 which seems reasonable to me.
>I own a copy and it works great. You can enlarge any digital image up to
>1600% but note that it will not improve the quality of a digital image. If
>you start with a poor quality small image, you will get a poor quality
>large image with pxl SmartScale.

I was about to write something similar, but now I can resort to
underlining this message.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Hans-Georg Michna

(E-Mail Removed)dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:

>But for $160 (or whatever the retail price is now) I thought Genuine Fractals
>was the most over-priced, over-rated software I've ever used ...

Bill,

there is a light version for $50 with some limitations, but
perhaps good enough for private use.

I would check first, however, how well that program stacks up
against pxl SmartScale by Extensis.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

David Kilpatrick

David D. wrote:

> The photo retouch and image format programs, that I have tried, do a poor
> job of enlarging an image. (The Kodak kiosks for printing your own photos,
> surprisingly, are among the worst, even though one would expect that
> enlarging snapshots would be their focus).
>
> I am looking for software that does a decent job of enlarging jpeg images,
> with attention to anti-aliasing, gradation interpolation, and edge
> detection. I am not a professional in this field, -- just a hobbyist -- so
> I am looking for reasonably priced software.

Canon UK use Genuine Fractals Print Pro 3 for doing this on all the
digital camera shots they shoot at exhibitions and then print up to huge
size on their large format printers. It is not fast but it works
extremely well.

David

Tom Monego

>I have a copy of this (bundled with a scanner purchase) and I get results

just
>as good (often better) by doing Stair Interpolation with Photoshop. This is
>enlarging scanned tiffs, not jpegs, so maybe it's wonderful for jpegs, dunno.

>But for $160 (or whatever the retail price is now) I thought Genuine Fractals
>was the most over-priced, over-rated software I've ever used ...
>
>Bill

I agree about Genuine Fractals, Fred Miranda makes a Photoshop Action
(Elements too) for about $19 that does the stair interpolation without you
having to repeat the command numerous times. (www.fredmiranda.com) Irfanview
(free) www.irfanview.com has a modified bicubic iterpolation routine that is
better than Photoshop for big enlargements, also gets you a free image viewing
(minor editing) program. Qimage has already been mentioned.
Just remember benefits start showing up after 2x enlagements, below that just
use your regular program.

Tom

Enlarging Font JCP Firefox 8 11-22-2005 01:01 PM
div overflow-settings / Problems with IE enlarging parent divs Christofer Dutz HTML 1 08-29-2005 12:00 AM
Enlarging text via mouse Sandy Bremmer Computer Support 7 07-29-2004 05:22 PM
Re: Enlarging images in same window Leif K-Brooks HTML 2 03-04-2004 09:51 PM
enlarging picture Derek HTML 9 09-05-2003 07:30 AM

Advertisments