Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pelican cases and lens mold/fungus

Pelican cases and lens mold/fungus

Mike L

Looking for comments from anyone who has had experience storing
photographic equipment in airtight cases, such as Pelican makes? I
understand there could be a problem with mold growing in this environment,
and would like to know how you have avoided the problem. Thanks.

-Mike

ArtKramr

>Subject: Pelican cases and lens mold/fungus
>From: Mike L http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 5/4/04 6:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>Looking for comments from anyone who has had experience storing
>photographic equipment in airtight cases, such as Pelican makes? I
>understand there could be a problem with mold growing in this environment,
>and would like to know how you have avoided the problem. Thanks.
>
> -Mike

Use these cases for travel, not long term storage. Pelican cases have a small
vent which can be opened to allow the contents to breath, or shut to make the
case air and water tight. But if you use the case for long term storage, you
are asking for trouble. I live in Nevada where the humidity is very low abd
there is a lower risk of mold than someone living in Louisianna. for
example. But I store and use my stuff in Domke bags and ship in Pelican cases.
Just to be sure.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Surfworx Photography

I use a Pelican case for all of my equipment - and I have a handfull of the
anti-moisture saches in there to remove any ambient moisture. As far as I
know, for mould to grow, you need light.

Derrick
www.surfworx.com.au

"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Subject: Pelican cases and lens mold/fungus
> >From: Mike L (E-Mail Removed)
> >Date: 5/4/04 6:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> >
> >Looking for comments from anyone who has had experience storing
> >photographic equipment in airtight cases, such as Pelican makes? I
> >understand there could be a problem with mold growing in this

environment,
> >and would like to know how you have avoided the problem. Thanks.
> >
> > -Mike

> Use these cases for travel, not long term storage. Pelican cases have a

small
> vent which can be opened to allow the contents to breath, or shut to make

the
> case air and water tight. But if you use the case for long term storage,

you
> are asking for trouble. I live in Nevada where the humidity is very low

abd
> there is a lower risk of mold than someone living in Louisianna. for
> example. But I store and use my stuff in Domke bags and ship in Pelican

cases.
> Just to be sure.
>

> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Mark M

"Surfworx Photography" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use a Pelican case for all of my equipment - and I have a handfull of

the
> anti-moisture saches in there to remove any ambient moisture. As far as I
> know, for mould to grow, you need light.

-Tell that to home owners who have internal (no light) wall studs rotting
from mold!!
It's gotten so bad in Southern California that everyone's home-owner's
insurance companies have sent out disclaimers indicating that they cannot
afford to cover mold damage.

It doesn't need light.

James Akiyama

You'll want to use a desiccant such as silica gel. Just make sure that you
renew or replace it periodically.

James

"Mike L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Looking for comments from anyone who has had experience storing
> photographic equipment in airtight cases, such as Pelican makes? I
> understand there could be a problem with mold growing in this environment,
> and would like to know how you have avoided the problem. Thanks.
>
> -Mike

Xlat

Why not just put a small dessicant packet in it? Cheap, easy, many
can be reactivated...

On Wed, 05 May 2004 01:10:56 GMT, Mike L
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Looking for comments from anyone who has had experience storing
>photographic equipment in airtight cases, such as Pelican makes? I
>understand there could be a problem with mold growing in this environment,
>and would like to know how you have avoided the problem. Thanks.
>
> -Mike

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Flower Power

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think I will go the desiccant route
and depend on relatively frequent use to deter the mold/fungus. Most of the
comments I've seen on this subject in the usenet archives seem to point at
long-term storage and humidity. I appreciate all the responses.

-Mike

George Kerby

On 5/5/04 9:55 PM, in article Xns94E0E9320D881hml039@24.25.9.42, "Flower
Power" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think I will go the desiccant route
> and depend on relatively frequent use to deter the mold/fungus. Most of the
> comments I've seen on this subject in the usenet archives seem to point at
> long-term storage and humidity. I appreciate all the responses.
>
> -Mike

Also. Don't keep the pressure adjustment 'screw' it the "locked" position.