Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why Use High Speed Compact Flash Card Like x40?

Why Use High Speed Compact Flash Card Like x40?

Jay Chan

I am wondering what is the benefit of using a high speed compact flash
memeory card, such as a x40 card.

Does a high speed card allow the camera to be quickly ready for taking
the next picture? But this doesn't import the shutter speed. Is my
understanding correct?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Michael Sweet

Jay Chan wrote:
> I am wondering what is the benefit of using a high speed compact flash
> memeory card, such as a x40 card.
>
> Does a high speed card allow the camera to be quickly ready for taking
> the next picture? But this doesn't import the shutter speed. Is my
> understanding correct?

Yes, basically the memory card speed controls how quickly your last
photo is stored on the card. That said, there is a limit to how
fast a particular camera can store the photo, so in some cases a 40x
card is not be any faster than a 12x card - it really depends on the
camera and card.

Personally, if I went to the store to buy a CF card and saw a 20x
card for $40 and a 40x card for $45, I'd buy the faster card even
if my current camera couldn't take full advantage of it...

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products mike at easysw dot com
Printing Software for UNIX http://www.easysw.com

Jay Chan

> Yes, basically the memory card speed controls how quickly your last
> photo is stored on the card. That said, there is a limit to how
> fast a particular camera can store the photo, so in some cases a 40x
> card is not be any faster than a 12x card - it really depends on the
> camera and card.

Seem like if I want to take many pictures quickly, I need a high speed
memory card (provided that the camera can save that quick). In my
case, I take pictures slowly -- one at a time. I should have spent the
money on a camera that has fast shutter speed instead of on a high
speed memory card. Of course, I have already bought the camera;
therefore, I will have to live with it, and try to learn the trick to
get it to take a picture faster. Oh well...

> Personally, if I went to the store to buy a CF card and saw a 20x
> card for $40 and a 40x card for $45, I'd buy the faster card even
> if my current camera couldn't take full advantage of it...

I can see your point. If the price difference is small, I may choose
to do the same thing. Even if I may not be able to take advantage of
the high speed when I am taking pictures (because I am slow), I will
still be able to use the high speed when I use the memory card for
non-camera use.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

stan@temple.edu

Jay Chan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am wondering what is the benefit of using a high speed compact flash
> memeory card, such as a x40 card.

> Does a high speed card allow the camera to be quickly ready for taking
> the next picture? But this doesn't import the shutter speed. Is my
> understanding correct?

The key benefit to a faster memory card is faster downloads. If you
don't need to download your images fast, then don't spend money on
the faster cards.

Dud & Barb

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:c7peo1$vub$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jay Chan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I am wondering what is the benefit of using a high speed compact flash
> > memeory card, such as a x40 card.

> > Does a high speed card allow the camera to be quickly ready for taking
> > the next picture? But this doesn't import the shutter speed. Is my
> > understanding correct?

> The key benefit to a faster memory card is faster downloads. If you
> don't need to download your images fast, then don't spend money on
> the faster cards.

My understanding (when I bought my x40 card) is this also will speed up the
reading process to the card. I'm not too familiar yet with digital, but I'm
glad I spent the money for a faster card. Example: when I shoot in Canon
RAW (an 18.0 MB file), it writes to the card in about 1-2 seconds - max.
This is needed when photographing subjects that don't stay very static.
Hope this helps.

Jay Chan

> The key benefit to a faster memory card is faster downloads. If you
> don't need to download your images fast, then don't spend money on
> the faster cards.

Thanks for pointing this out. My x4 memory card is fast enough for me
already when I download pictures from it. The download speed was very
slow when I was using a USB 1.x card reader. The download goes MUCH
faster as soon as I start using a USB-2 card read. Obviously the
bottleneck is the card reader and is not the card itself. I will save
my money and get a cheap one if the price difference between a fast
one and a slow one is not small.

Jay Chan

Scott K

Well I chose a Sandisk Ultra 512Mg 40x for my Canon DiGIC-based G3
because the spec said that a higher speed card was necessary for
movie mode.

Just how fast it didn't say, but at the time the 40x was the fastest
that I could afford, and it has proved to be good enough.

-Scott.