Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > SHOULD ONE BE CONCERNED

SHOULD ONE BE CONCERNED

tbm

hi group,
i am thinking of buying the canon eos 300d my first digi slr.i am somewhat concerned about all the postings regards the 300d having
focus problems/issue.should i ignore this and go ahead with my purchase? many thanks...rgds 2 all from TBM...

---

Colm

What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera, capable of
capturing excellent photos.

--
Colm

"tbm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6bNlc.111$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi group,
> i am thinking of buying the canon eos 300d my first digi slr.i am somewhat

concerned about all the postings regards the 300d having
> focus problems/issue.should i ignore this and go ahead with my purchase?

many thanks...rgds 2 all from TBM...

R2D2

"Colm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c7879j$pcct$1@ID-
182697.news.uni-berlin.de:

> What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera, capable of
> capturing excellent photos.

He is probably referring to the focus problems encountered when using 3rd
party (especially Sigma) lenses. All EOS USM lenses work great.

Rick

"tbm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6bNlc.111$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi group,
> i am thinking of buying the canon eos 300d my first digi slr.i am somewhat

concerned about all the postings regards the 300d having
> focus problems/issue.should i ignore this and go ahead with my purchase?

many thanks...rgds 2 all from TBM...

Buy it. I have one and it works 100% for me. Great camera and an amazing
buy for the money.

tbm

"Colm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c7879j$pcct$1@ID-
182697.news.uni-berlin.de:

> What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera, capable of
> capturing excellent photos.
>

>He is probably referring to the focus >problems encountered when using 3rd
>party (especially Sigma) lenses. All EOS >
>USM lenses work great.

no! i'm talking of the multi 7 point focus thing.apparently if you do not have the focus set to the centre focus point most if not
all images are out of focus and pics appear to be soft.i have nothing like this with my trusty s602z.

---

dslr

tbm wrote:
> "Colm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c7879j$pcct$1@ID-
> 182697.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
>> What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera,
>> capable of capturing excellent photos.
>>

>> He is probably referring to the focus >problems encountered when
>> using 3rd party (especially Sigma) lenses. All EOS >
>> USM lenses work great.

> no! i'm talking of the multi 7 point focus thing.apparently if you do
> not have the focus set to the centre focus point most if not all
> images are out of focus and pics appear to be soft.

Only if you don't check which of the 7 points have found a focus lock and
ensured that the area of the frame those cover is that which you want to be
in focus.

--
regards,
dslr

peter clarkson

I have the 300d and can heartily endorse it. Sure it takes time to
learn out to use it properly and for best results don't use 'auto' all
the time.As for 'soft' images, depends apart from anything else on
quality of lens used. I upgraded from the Kit lens to a 17-40 'L' and
the difference was amazing.Buy it if You are prepared to work at using
it to its best advantage.

paleryder

"tbm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6HNlc.93$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Colm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c7879j$pcct$1@ID-
> 182697.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
> > What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera, capable

of
> > capturing excellent photos.
> >

> >He is probably referring to the focus >problems encountered when using

3rd
> >party (especially Sigma) lenses. All EOS >
> >USM lenses work great.

> no! i'm talking of the multi 7 point focus thing.apparently if you do not

have the focus set to the centre focus point most if not
> all images are out of focus and pics appear to be soft.i have nothing like

this with my trusty s602z.

I have not had that problem. Pay attention to which focal point is
selected.

Mark M

"tbm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6bNlc.111$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi group,
> i am thinking of buying the canon eos 300d my first digi slr.i am somewhat

concerned about all the postings regards the 300d having
> focus problems/issue.should i ignore this and go ahead with my purchase?

many thanks...rgds 2 all from TBM...

There's been no talk of this here that I am aware of.

Many people who are used to digital point-and-shoots are now buying Canon
DSLRs.
--They are suddenly confronted with a camera that allows for limited depth
fo field in ways they are not accustomed to.
I am convinced that many complaints are simply due to inexperience, and
unfamiliarity with their new-found "control" over a camera (and focus depth
in particular) they don't yet understand.

Mark M

"tbm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6HNlc.93$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Colm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c7879j$pcct$1@ID-
> 182697.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
> > What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera, capable

of
> > capturing excellent photos.
> >

> >He is probably referring to the focus >problems encountered when using

3rd
> >party (especially Sigma) lenses. All EOS >
> >USM lenses work great.

> no! i'm talking of the multi 7 point focus thing.apparently if you do not

have the focus set to the centre focus point most if not
> all images are out of focus and pics appear to be soft.i have nothing like

this with my trusty s602z.

I believe the Digital Rebel comes out fo the package with the focus points
set to auto-point-selection. This is not a good way to achieve focus, since
no camera can read your mind.
Once you become aware of which point is selected, and then look for focus AT
THAT POINT in the photo, there are no problems.