Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > S50 dropped in saltwater

S50 dropped in saltwater

John Fleming

Hello,

I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
recommendation of somebody at the scene.

Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
reaction from any of the buttons.

After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
that is it, no response from anything at all.

I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
ideas I could try to fix it. As I said, I have only had the camera
for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.
Is it possible that it is only the battery that is malfunctioning and
a new battery would fix the problem?

If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

John

Mark M

"John Fleming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
> S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
> rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
> recommendation of somebody at the scene.
>
> Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
> the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
> static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
> next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
> reaction from any of the buttons.
>
> After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
> battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
> that is it, no response from anything at all.
>
> I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
> saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
> ideas I could try to fix it.

The camera is toast.
Cut your losses (or make a claim, if you're covered), and move on.

Sad...But there are few things more destructive to this kind of device than
sea water.

Drifter

On 2 May 2004 18:43:04 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (John Fleming) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
>S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently.

Ouch!
Give it a decent burial and go get a new camera.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

John Fleming wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
> S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
> rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
> recommendation of somebody at the scene.
>
> Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
> the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
> static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
> next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
> reaction from any of the buttons.
>
> After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
> battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
> that is it, no response from anything at all.
>
> I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
> saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
> ideas I could try to fix it. As I said, I have only had the camera
> for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.
> Is it possible that it is only the battery that is malfunctioning and
> a new battery would fix the problem?
>
> If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.
>
> John
> (E-Mail Removed)

I think the biggest mistake you made was trying to turn it one while wet. Think
short circuit. It's probably fried.

I made the same mistake when I dropped my PDA in fresh water.

--
Ben Thomas

Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
limit.

Phil Stripling

(E-Mail Removed) (John Fleming) writes:

> I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
> S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
> rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
> recommendation of somebody at the scene.

As I recall, Nikon's recommendation for their Nikonos cameras with failed
seals resulting in saltwater leadkage is to first give it up, second put it
in fresh water and keep it in fresh water till you can get it to to a
repair center, third give it up. Most likely, Nikon says, it cannot be
repaired. Salt water is very conductive and appallingly corrosive. Rinsing
it out with fresh water is not enough. And Nikonoses are film cameras with
some electronics; I fear your digital camera is truly and sincerely dead.

>SNIP<
> I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
> saltwater got into the camera circuitry,

I think the expression here is "Well, duh."

> but does anybody have any
> ideas I could try to fix it. As I said, I have only had the camera
> for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.
> Is it possible that it is only the battery that is malfunctioning and
> a new battery would fix the problem?

There is no likelihood that anything wrong can be fixed by a consumer. If
you have not completely rinsed out the salt, I am confident the interior is
seriously corroded. A trip to a repair shop will confirm whether it can be
fixed, but there will be a fee to do the estimate.

O R

Soaking the camera in fresh water *was* the correct thing to do to rinse
out the salt water, but after that you should have soaked it in 91%
isopropyl alcohol to rinse out the *fresh* water.

A professional would then take the camera apart (do not try this at
home!) and subject the pieces to an ultrasonic bath. It may or may not
be too late for this step, but the labor cost may exceed that of a new
camera.

Savidge4

Have you thought about your credit card company? You may be covered under a
purchase protection program that will assist you in recovering your loss.

EF in FLA

> for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.

Well you don't HAVE to tell them what happened. Clean it up and send it in,
tell them it just stopped working. Worth a try.....

Mark M

"EF in FLA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sUplc.551282$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.

> Well you don't HAVE to tell them what happened. Clean it up and send it

in,
> tell them it just stopped working. Worth a try.....

Nice.

Dave Martindale

(E-Mail Removed) (John Fleming) writes:
>Hello,

>I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
>S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
>rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
>recommendation of somebody at the scene.

The most important thing to do first is remove the battery (or all of
them, if more than one). The combination of salt water and electrical
power will cause damaging corrosion in minutes. Then you can try the
fresh water rinse.

>Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
>the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
>static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
>next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
>reaction from any of the buttons.

Really bad idea. This just supplied battery power to all of the
circuits in the camera, rather than just a few. You probably caused
additional damage at this point.

>After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
>battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
>that is it, no response from anything at all.

The point of rinsing with fresh water is to get the salt water away from
things that can corrode. When you're done, you still have a camera
that's saturated with water, and which still needs to be dismantled and
dried out. Letting it sit for a few days will not do this. Corrision
still happens with fresh water, just more slowly.

>I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
>saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
>ideas I could try to fix it. As I said, I have only had the camera
>for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.
>Is it possible that it is only the battery that is malfunctioning and
>a new battery would fix the problem?

At this point, it's likely unrepairable for less than the cost of a new
camera.

Dave

Re: Canon S50 Graeme Digital Photography 3 07-21-2003 10:38 AM
Canon S50 again Alan Digital Photography 2 07-16-2003 12:37 PM
S50 Alan Digital Photography 9 07-16-2003 12:27 PM
CrystalVue SharpShooter, Sony DSC-S50 KenJr Digital Photography 0 07-15-2003 03:04 PM
Canon S50 Alan Digital Photography 2 07-15-2003 06:12 AM

Advertisments