Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > S50 dropped in saltwater

S50 dropped in saltwater

John Fleming

"EF in FLA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<sUplc.551282$(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.

> Well you don't HAVE to tell them what happened. Clean it up and send it in,
> tell them it just stopped working. Worth a try.....

Hehehe... You sound like my wife. I guess it is worth a try.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll definitely be more prepared the
next time this happens .

John

Paul J Gans

Mark M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"John Fleming" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
>> S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
>> rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
>> recommendation of somebody at the scene.
>>
>> Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
>> the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
>> static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
>> next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
>> reaction from any of the buttons.
>>
>> After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
>> battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
>> that is it, no response from anything at all.
>>
>> I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
>> saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
>> ideas I could try to fix it.

>The camera is toast.
>Cut your losses (or make a claim, if you're covered), and move on.
>
>Sad...But there are few things more destructive to this kind of device than
>sea water.

I generally agree, but things *can* work out (but are not guaranteed
to) if NO electricty flows and the circuit boards are washed in
good fresh water as soon as possible.

What the washing will do to the lens elements is another story.

Sea water is no good because the salt will corrode the electronic
connections.

However with a battery in the camera there is no doubt that
large scale frying took place. Everything was shorted out.
Turning the camera ON while it was wet also did its job.

If this happened to me I'd immediately remove the batteries,
soak the camera in clean (prefereably distilled water) as soon
as possible, and then let it dry completely and slowly.[*]

Then the question is do I put a new battery back in (the old
one is almost certainly toast) and check things out or do I
ship it off for repair.

---- Paul J. Gans
[*] The problem here is that much "clean, fresh water" isn't.
It contains some dissolved salts. It is the salts that are
the culprit in corroding delicate circuitry.

Mark M

"EF in FLA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sUplc.551282$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.

> Well you don't HAVE to tell them what happened. Clean it up and send it

in,
> tell them it just stopped working. Worth a try.....

People like you make everything more expensive because we have to make up
for your mistakes and deception in higher prices.

I don't need people like you around...
....PLONK.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (O R) wrote:

> Soaking the camera in fresh water *was* the correct thing to do to rinse
> out the salt water, but after that you should have soaked it in 91%
> isopropyl alcohol to rinse out the *fresh* water.
>
> A professional would then take the camera apart (do not try this at
> home!) and subject the pieces to an ultrasonic bath. It may or may not
> be too late for this step, but the labor cost may exceed that of a new
> camera.

Isopropyl alcohol will migrate solder flux, lead oxide, and grease onto
the optics. Then there will be no possible repair following that.

Purified water is the correct solution but even that isn't always safe.
The real problem is that the battery wasn't removed the instant the
camera got wet. It's probably destroyed now.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (John Fleming) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had the misfortune of accidentally dropping my few-month-old Canon
> S50 in the Caribbean waters while on vacation recently. I tried to
> rinse it out with fresh water just after it happened on the
> recommendation of somebody at the scene.
>
> Just after it occurred I tried turning the camera on by sliding out
> the lens cover in the front but the only response was a
> static-sounding noise from the speaker, the orange light being lit
> next to the slide-switch on the back, no movement from the lens and no
> reaction from any of the buttons.
>
> After letting the camera dry out for several days I charged the
> battery and tried again. Now the orange light flashes on briefly and
> that is it, no response from anything at all.
>
> I'm sure that the only reason for this malfunctioning is the fact that
> saltwater got into the camera circuitry, but does anybody have any
> ideas I could try to fix it. As I said, I have only had the camera
> for a few months, but I'm sure this is not covered by the warranty.
> Is it possible that it is only the battery that is malfunctioning and
> a new battery would fix the problem?
>
> If anybody has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.
>
> John
> (E-Mail Removed)

Purchase a Canon camera and dive case for it next time. Exposing
cameras to beach air isn't a great idea. Dropping them in the water is
even worse. Canon offers dive cases for most of their compact line for
under $200.

Azzz1588

In article <sUplc.551282$(E-Mail Removed) >, "EF in FLA"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Well you don't HAVE to tell them what happened. Clean it up and send it in,
>tell them it just stopped working. Worth a try.....

Well I see that your parents never taught you not to steal !!

Well at least now, you've easilly pegged yourself as a member
of the lower class...................

Re: Canon S50 Graeme Digital Photography 3 07-21-2003 10:38 AM
Canon S50 again Alan Digital Photography 2 07-16-2003 12:37 PM
S50 Alan Digital Photography 9 07-16-2003 12:27 PM
CrystalVue SharpShooter, Sony DSC-S50 KenJr Digital Photography 0 07-15-2003 03:04 PM
Canon S50 Alan Digital Photography 2 07-15-2003 06:12 AM

Advertisments