Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > All electronic viewfinders bad in bright sunlight?

All electronic viewfinders bad in bright sunlight?

Wayne

I only have experience with one camera with an electronic viewfinder --
the Nikon 5700. In bright sunlight, no matter how much I shade my eye
when I'm looking through the viewfinder, the image is way too dark.

Is there a camera that shows a good bright image in bright sunlight?

Thanks for your help.

-wayne

David Kilpatrick

Wayne wrote:

> I only have experience with one camera with an electronic viewfinder --
> the Nikon 5700. In bright sunlight, no matter how much I shade my eye
> when I'm looking through the viewfinder, the image is way too dark.
>
> Is there a camera that shows a good bright image in bright sunlight?

they are all generally pretty poor. You have to get used to the dim low
contrast image.

stewy

"Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I only have experience with one camera with an electronic viewfinder --
> the Nikon 5700. In bright sunlight, no matter how much I shade my eye
> when I'm looking through the viewfinder, the image is way too dark.
>
> Is there a camera that shows a good bright image in bright sunlight?

The only way is to have an electronic viewfinder in the eyepiece - why these
accessories are unavailable is anyone's guess

Wayne

stewy wrote:
> "Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I only have experience with one camera with an electronic viewfinder --
>> the Nikon 5700. In bright sunlight, no matter how much I shade my eye
>> when I'm looking through the viewfinder, the image is way too dark.
>>
>> Is there a camera that shows a good bright image in bright sunlight?
>>

> The only way is to have an electronic viewfinder in the eyepiece - why these
> accessories are unavailable is anyone's guess

Please elaborate. I don't think I understand what you're saying.
-wayne

Frank ess

Wayne wrote:
> stewy wrote:
>> "Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I only have experience with one camera with an electronic
>>> viewfinder -- the Nikon 5700. In bright sunlight, no matter how
>>> much I shade my eye when I'm looking through the viewfinder, the
>>> image is way too dark.
>>>
>>> Is there a camera that shows a good bright image in bright sunlight?
>>>

>> The only way is to have an electronic viewfinder in the eyepiece -
>> why these accessories are unavailable is anyone's guess
>>

> Please elaborate. I don't think I understand what you're saying.

Please distinguish between "viewfinder" and "LCD monitor".

My CP5700 experience is that the viewfinder works OK, the LCD monitor is
nigh useless in bright sun.

--
Frank ess

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

Frank ess wrote:
> Wayne wrote:
>
>>stewy wrote:
>>
>>>"Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>The only way is to have an electronic viewfinder in the eyepiece -
>>>why these accessories are unavailable is anyone's guess
>>>

>>Please elaborate. I don't think I understand what you're saying.

> Please distinguish between "viewfinder" and "LCD monitor".
>
> My CP5700 experience is that the viewfinder works OK, the LCD monitor is
> nigh useless in bright sun.
>

> --
> Frank ess

LCD monitor is the big screen on the back. Electronic viewfinder is the small
eye-piece you can use to view the image instead of the LCD screen. Some cameras
have an optical viewfinder instead of electronic.

--
Ben Thomas

Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
limit.

David J Taylor

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k0wlc.11766$(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> My CP5700 experience is that the viewfinder works OK, the LCD monitor is
> nigh useless in bright sun.
>

> --
> Frank ess

Seconded about the EVF. The original poster should also be aware that
both the finders have brightness adjustments.

Cheers,
David

David Kilpatrick

David J Taylor wrote:

> "Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k0wlc.11766$(E-Mail Removed)...
> []
>
>>My CP5700 experience is that the viewfinder works OK, the LCD monitor is
>>nigh useless in bright sun.
>>

>>--
>>Frank ess

> Seconded about the EVF. The original poster should also be aware that
> both the finders have brightness adjustments.

It's also worth noting that the Minolta A2, as an example, can be set to
reflect accurately the camera settings - exposure, colour and contrast -
or to ignore all camera settings and provide an acceptable view
regardless, which is what's neeed when using studio flash.

I have left mine on this setting and the result in bright sun is awful.
By switching back to the 'mimic the actual exposure' setting, I get a
much more usable finder in daylight.

David

Wayne

David J Taylor wrote:
> "Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:k0wlc.11766$(E-Mail Removed)...
> []
>> My CP5700 experience is that the viewfinder works OK, the LCD monitor is
>> nigh useless in bright sun.
>>

>> --
>> Frank ess

> Seconded about the EVF. The original poster should also be aware that
> both the finders have brightness adjustments.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks to all for the help. And thanks David for the brightness
adjustment pointer. I had looked all over my CP5700 menu system for a
finder brightness adjustment but hadn't found that exact spot. What a
difference!

Regards,
-wayne

stewy

"Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> stewy wrote:
> > "Wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I only have experience with one camera with an electronic viewfinder --
> >> the Nikon 5700. In bright sunlight, no matter how much I shade my eye
> >> when I'm looking through the viewfinder, the image is way too dark.
> >>
> >> Is there a camera that shows a good bright image in bright sunlight?
> >>

> > The only way is to have an electronic viewfinder in the eyepiece - why

these
> > accessories are unavailable is anyone's guess
> >

> Please elaborate. I don't think I understand what you're saying.

Not the LCD panel on the back of the camera - something you put close to
your eye