Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Opinion of Canon S400/S410 as second camera

Reply
Thread Tools

Opinion of Canon S400/S410 as second camera

 
 
Steven Wandy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2004
I am new here and need an opinion. I am currently using an Oly E-10, but
wish to get a small camera to just stick in my pocket (and maybe sneak into
summer concerts). I have a Nikon 5700 that I am giving to my son (too big
for my pockets anyway).
One of the cameras I am seriously considering is the S400/S410 and have a
few questions from users:
(1) Any significant difference between the 400 and the 410? Worth price
difference to get the newer model?
(2) For concert photos, is it possible to shut off the flash?
(3) How are the quality of the prints? Quality at higher ISO values?
I will be using this camera, atleast at concerts. to get overall stage-type
pictures. (I have one of those binoculars with a digital camera built in to
get close-ups, but can't get pics of the entire band/stage/etc.)
Thanks for your opinions.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Sommers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2004
Well, what a coincidence. I'm the proud owner of an Olympus E-10, and chose
the Canon S400 as a second camera.

There is virtually no practical difference between the S400 and the S410.
The S410 has a direct print/share button that adds a minor convenience and
satisfies some marketing position requirement. Not worth anything to me.

For concerts, I would switch to manual mode and have preset, no flash, no AF
assist and ISO400 for this mode. This takes only one easy turn of the mode
dial.

The quality of shots from the S400 can be as good as what is produced by the
E-10 - it's just a little harder to achieve. For high ISO shots on both my
E-10 and S400, I use Noise Ninja. It's pretty effective with both cameras.

www.picturecode.com

I have a suggestion to consider. How about a Canon S1 IS to replace both the
binocular camera and the S400? With its 10X optical zoom and image
stabilizer, it's far superior to the binocular camera, and nearly as good as
the S400 on closer stuff. It is a bit noisier at ISO400 than the S400, but
Noise Ninja does a nice job on it.

Bye.

"Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iz_kc.77575$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am new here and need an opinion. I am currently using an Oly E-10, but
> wish to get a small camera to just stick in my pocket (and maybe sneak

into
> summer concerts). I have a Nikon 5700 that I am giving to my son (too big
> for my pockets anyway).
> One of the cameras I am seriously considering is the S400/S410 and have a
> few questions from users:
> (1) Any significant difference between the 400 and the 410? Worth price
> difference to get the newer model?
> (2) For concert photos, is it possible to shut off the flash?
> (3) How are the quality of the prints? Quality at higher ISO values?
> I will be using this camera, atleast at concerts. to get overall

stage-type
> pictures. (I have one of those binoculars with a digital camera built in

to
> get close-ups, but can't get pics of the entire band/stage/etc.)
> Thanks for your opinions.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tom Scales
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2004
If you want an 'always with you' camera, you should consider the Pentax S4i.
I bought one recently and there is no comparison. I wouldn't always have the
S400/410 with me and I do with the S4i.

Tom
"Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iz_kc.77575$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am new here and need an opinion. I am currently using an Oly E-10, but
> wish to get a small camera to just stick in my pocket (and maybe sneak

into
> summer concerts). I have a Nikon 5700 that I am giving to my son (too big
> for my pockets anyway).
> One of the cameras I am seriously considering is the S400/S410 and have a
> few questions from users:
> (1) Any significant difference between the 400 and the 410? Worth price
> difference to get the newer model?
> (2) For concert photos, is it possible to shut off the flash?
> (3) How are the quality of the prints? Quality at higher ISO values?
> I will be using this camera, atleast at concerts. to get overall

stage-type
> pictures. (I have one of those binoculars with a digital camera built in

to
> get close-ups, but can't get pics of the entire band/stage/etc.)
> Thanks for your opinions.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
EF in FLA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2004
> If you want an 'always with you' camera, you should consider the Pentax
S4i.
> I bought one recently and there is no comparison. I wouldn't always have

the
> S400/410 with me and I do with the S4i.
>


Why? What's the big difference?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Wandy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2004
Camera look very similar in specs, but I wanted one that used Compact Flash
as I have several of those around.
Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven M. Scharf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2004

"Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iz_kc.77575$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am new here and need an opinion. I am currently using an Oly E-10, but
> wish to get a small camera to just stick in my pocket (and maybe sneak

into
> summer concerts). I have a Nikon 5700 that I am giving to my son (too big
> for my pockets anyway).
> One of the cameras I am seriously considering is the S400/S410 and have a
> few questions from users:
> (1) Any significant difference between the 400 and the 410? Worth price
> difference to get the newer model?
> (2) For concert photos, is it possible to shut off the flash?
> (3) How are the quality of the prints? Quality at higher ISO values?
> I will be using this camera, atleast at concerts. to get overall

stage-type
> pictures. (I have one of those binoculars with a digital camera built in

to
> get close-ups, but can't get pics of the entire band/stage/etc.)
> Thanks for your opinions.


It'a an excellent choice for a second camera. I splurged for the S500.
Actually the S410 is about the same as the S400 now, as the high volume
lower-priced retailers don't have the S400 any more. Check buydig.com
($343).

I considered an ultra-thin such as the Pentax Optio S4i or Kyocera SL400R,
but they had too many compromises for the small size. The Canon SD-110 would
be the smallest that I would go.


 
Reply With Quote
 
BigFoot14W
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2004
>It'a an excellent choice for a second camera. I splurged for the S500.
>Actually the S410 is about the same as the S400 now, as the high volume
>lower-priced retailers don't have the S400 any more.


I too just went for the S 500 as a second camera (although the S 400 would have
been great also). While not as small as the Optio, the Elph (S 400/410/500) is
small enough for a pocket, and it uses CF cards, which I have a ton of.

--Wayne
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Martindale
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-03-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (BigFoot14W) writes:

>I too just went for the S 500 as a second camera (although the S 400 would have
>been great also). While not as small as the Optio, the Elph (S 400/410/500) is
>small enough for a pocket, and it uses CF cards, which I have a ton of.


Also, take a look at the sample images on review sites like dpreview.
The Optio uses a funny off-centre lens that splits into 2 parts and
the mount rotates for storage. It's a clever mechanical design and
gives a smaller camera, but its image quality is not up to the standards
of the S400/410 according to dpreview.

The Canon SD100/110 is also worth looking at if SD cards are an option.
It's smaller than the S400, though the zoom range is only 2X and it's 3
MP not 4.

Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven M. Scharf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2004

"Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c75q6k$amv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) (BigFoot14W) writes:


<snip>

> The Canon SD100/110 is also worth looking at if SD cards are an option.
> It's smaller than the S400, though the zoom range is only 2X and it's 3
> MP not 4.


The Optio S4i and Kyocera SR400 are more about being small than about image
quality.
The SD110 is a better camera in terms of image quality, despite the 3Mp
sensor and 2X
zoom.

The S410/S500, if small enough, is the best option in an ultra-compact.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Veggie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2004
I have a similar decision to make. I was between the Optio S4i and the
Elph S400/410.

But the proprietary batteries really irks me, so then I was looking at
the Optio S40. The S40 is larger by 0.5 inches, but can use AA
batteries. When traveling, hiking, whatever I don't want to drag
different chargers, etc. Nice to be able to steal batteries from a
radio, or even buy them from a National Parks bookstore in a pinch.

But I couldn't do it... When it comes right down to it, image quality is
important to me. It's the Elph for me. I guess I'll have to pack
another charger and buy an extra battery pack. I wish all the device
companies can get together on batteries. It doesn't have to be AA, but
it would nice if cellphones, GPS, walkie talkies, cameras, etc could all
share the same lithium ion battery.

Something else to think about is that the Elph might be cheaper to
operate than the S4i. The Elph uses CF flash cards, which is
significantly cheaper than SD cards. Also, the generic Elph battery
knockoffs are *much* cheaper than generic Optio batteries.

So I'm back to square one- waiting for a good Elph deal.


Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> The Optio S4i and Kyocera SR400 are more about being small than about
> image
>
> quality. The SD110 is a better camera in terms of image quality,
> despite the 3Mp sensor and 2X zoom.
>
> The S410/S500, if small enough, is the best option in an
> ultra-compact.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A second opinion requested, please. ~BD~ Computer Security 0 06-08-2009 11:49 AM
Rinda: start_keeper bug? Looking for second opinion Daniel Azuma Ruby 1 08-11-2007 01:24 AM
second opinion =?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?= ASP .Net 4 09-25-2005 12:45 PM
Any reason NOT to get a Canon G6 as a second camera? jean Digital Photography 13 02-17-2005 06:28 AM
Looking for second opinion on Quintum Tenor Rejith Krishnan VOIP 3 11-24-2003 06:10 PM



Advertisments