Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > SP2200, MacOS 10.3, and PhotoShop: double color correction?

SP2200, MacOS 10.3, and PhotoShop: double color correction?

Thor Lancelot Simon

I just picked up an Epson Stylus Photo 2200. I'm fairly happy with it,
except that if I let the printer driver manage color correction (as is
the default), I do seem to get slightly bluish, dark prints.

However, no matter how I try to arrange for the driver to *not* manage
colors and for PhotoShop or ColorSync to do so, I seem to be unable to
get only a *single* color profile application.

Using either the obvious, sensible "tell photoshop's print preview->color
management panel to apply the Epson-supplied ICC profile, tell printer
panel to do 'no color management'" or the less obvious method of telling
both PhotoShop and the printer driver to not color manage, then telling
ColorSync to apply the appropriate ICC profile for the printer, I get
very light, very magenta output that is obviously the result of the
appropriate ICC profile being applied *twice*.

My suspicion is that, perhaps new as of 10.3 or some 10.3 update,
ColorSync is applying some ICC profile for the printer no matter what.
Alternately, perhaps there is some bug in the latest Epson driver for
the SP2200 such that even if told "no color management" it still
does so.

Can anyone suggest a sure-fire way to have *the right ICC profile applied*
and *only applied once*? I'd prefer to have PhotoShop do the color
management if at all possible, since it looks like what ColorSync or the
printer driver give me is not quite right, and I suspect they're using
the slightly older profiles that came with the printer driver, rather than
the ones I downloaded from Epson yesterday, which are supposedly better.

Perhaps I should simply remove all the ICC profiles from the printer's
entry in the ColorSync control panel, just to be *sure* CS isn't color
correcting when I haven't asked it to?

--
Thor Lancelot Simon http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
objects that he could think of, and had screamed: "You lamp! You towel! You

Chris Cox

Have you tried the recently released driver update for the 2200?
It should be available on Epson's web site.

Chris

In article <c6vb37$aiv$(E-Mail Removed)>, Thor Lancelot Simon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just picked up an Epson Stylus Photo 2200. I'm fairly happy with it,
> except that if I let the printer driver manage color correction (as is
> the default), I do seem to get slightly bluish, dark prints.
>
> However, no matter how I try to arrange for the driver to *not* manage
> colors and for PhotoShop or ColorSync to do so, I seem to be unable to
> get only a *single* color profile application.
>
> Using either the obvious, sensible "tell photoshop's print preview->color
> management panel to apply the Epson-supplied ICC profile, tell printer
> panel to do 'no color management'" or the less obvious method of telling
> both PhotoShop and the printer driver to not color manage, then telling
> ColorSync to apply the appropriate ICC profile for the printer, I get
> very light, very magenta output that is obviously the result of the
> appropriate ICC profile being applied *twice*.
>
> My suspicion is that, perhaps new as of 10.3 or some 10.3 update,
> ColorSync is applying some ICC profile for the printer no matter what.
> Alternately, perhaps there is some bug in the latest Epson driver for
> the SP2200 such that even if told "no color management" it still
> does so.
>
> Can anyone suggest a sure-fire way to have *the right ICC profile applied*
> and *only applied once*? I'd prefer to have PhotoShop do the color
> management if at all possible, since it looks like what ColorSync or the
> printer driver give me is not quite right, and I suspect they're using
> the slightly older profiles that came with the printer driver, rather than
> the ones I downloaded from Epson yesterday, which are supposedly better.
>
> Perhaps I should simply remove all the ICC profiles from the printer's
> entry in the ColorSync control panel, just to be *sure* CS isn't color
> correcting when I haven't asked it to?

Thor Lancelot Simon

In article <020520041828317445%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Cox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you tried the recently released driver update for the 2200?
>It should be available on Epson's web site.

Unless that driver update's newer than about four days, then yes. I
bought the printer Wednesday; Thursday I downloaded the latest drivers
(and colorsync profiles) from the Epson site and installed them.

I've tried going through in the colorsync panel, paper-type-by-paper-type
(the 2200 uses a different colorsync profile for each paper type the driver
knows about), and changing the profile to the new one downloaded at the
same time as the driver. Things might look a _little_ better. But I don't
want the driver doing color management *at all*, I want to do it with
PhotoShop; and no matter what I set the driver to, including "no color
management", it still applies the colorsync profile configured for whatever
paper type you tell it you're using... so if you try to color-manage in
photoshop, everything gets *double* applied; no good!

--
Thor Lancelot Simon (E-Mail Removed)
objects that he could think of, and had screamed: "You lamp! You towel! You
plate!" and so on. --Sigmund Freud

Chris Cox

With the updated driver, it shouldn't be doing anything when you select
"no color management".
The only thing it should be doing is limiting the amount of inks put
down depending on the paper type (you still have to select that
correctly in the driver UI).

BTW - the product is Photoshop, no capital S.

Chris