Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon EOS 10D lense

Canon EOS 10D lense

Hodrige

Hello,
I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
thinking around $200.00.
What should my second lenses be? (After I recover from my purchase)
Please advice.
Thanks,
Hodrige.

Lionel

Kibo informs me that http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Hodrige) stated that:

>Hello,
>I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
>for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
>should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
>thinking around $200.00.

Instead of buying a cheap zoom lens, consider spending $60 USD on a
50mm/F1.8 prime (Canon EF 50mm/F1.8II). You'll get much better optical
quality than you would with a consumer zoom, & you'll learn a lot more
about photography. Once you're really comfortable with that lens, you'll
have a *much* clearer idea of what size & quality of zoom lens would be
best for you, & you won't waste hundreds of dollars on a crappy zoom
lens.

Alan Browne

Hodrige wrote:

> Hello,
> I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
> for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
> should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
> thinking around $200.00.
> What should my second lenses be? (After I recover from my purchase)

What kind of photography do you want to do?

You say "all purpose lens"? Well to be mean about it, there is no such
thing as a lens for all purposes.

Get yourself a 50mm f/1.8 and you'll be on your way at very low cost, or
a 35mm for a more "normal" view with the crop factor (a little more $).

If you need a zoom, any good ordinary Canon 28-80 or 28-105 will do fine.

Richard Cockburn

Lionel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Instead of buying a cheap zoom lens, consider spending $60 USD on a
> 50mm/F1.8 prime (Canon EF 50mm/F1.8II). You'll get much better optical
> quality than you would with a consumer zoom, & you'll learn a lot more
> about photography. Once you're really comfortable with that lens, you'll
> have a *much* clearer idea of what size & quality of zoom lens would be
> best for you, & you won't waste hundreds of dollars on a crappy zoom
> lens.

I agree with starting out with a 50mm prime. That is what I did. But I went
for the 1.4 instead of the 1.8. The build is better, USM focusing, and the
bokeh is smoother and more pronounced. But even the 50mm 1.8 is will give
you much better pictures than any consumer zoom.

--

"Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)
-Richard Cockburn

adm

"Richard Cockburn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message >

> "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

I think you should check the provenance of your .sig

jriegle

While I would (and did) get the 50 1.8, I would get a zoom first. Canon's
18-55 only fits the Rebel, so you may have to go third party to stay in the
price range. The 50 on a 10D has the same angle of view as a 80mm lens does
on a 35mm camera. While good for certain subjects, it is too much focal
length for general shooting.
John

"Hodrige" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
> I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
> for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
> should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
> thinking around $200.00.
> What should my second lenses be? (After I recover from my purchase)
> Please advice.
> Thanks,
> Hodrige.

Hodrige

OK thanks.
I'll look for a Canon EF 50mm/F1.8II or 1.4 ... it looks like the 1.4
is a bit more than $200.00.
/Hodrige.

> What kind of photography do you want to do?
>
> You say "all purpose lens"? Well to be mean about it, there is no such
> thing as a lens for all purposes.
>
> Get yourself a 50mm f/1.8 and you'll be on your way at very low cost, or
> a 35mm for a more "normal" view with the crop factor (a little more $).
>
> If you need a zoom, any good ordinary Canon 28-80 or 28-105 will do fine.

jean

Whatever lens you do plan to buy, go to the store, put it on your camera
take some pics with it (ouside if they let you) and then go home and examine
the pics, if you like the sharpness or lack thereof, then go back and buy
it. Canon lenses work very well, third party YMMV so it is best to try
before buying.

If you like long lenses, the 75-300 with IS is a good one to get. It is not
fast neither at focusing or opticaly but you won't be scared to take it
anywhere.

A bit more expensive is the 70-200 f4 L but it's distinctive white color may
be a drawing card for theives.

Jean

PS I'm thinking of ditching all my shorter lenses (50mm f1,8 and a Sigma 28
f1, for a 24-70 f2,8 L. Expensive lens but worth every penny. It's not
white so it should pass as a cheaper lens. Il'l keep the "kit" lens from my
Drebel because it goes a bit wider (18mm).

"Hodrige" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
> I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
> for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
> should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
> thinking around $200.00.
> What should my second lenses be? (After I recover from my purchase)
> Please advice.
> Thanks,
> Hodrige.

street shooter

(E-Mail Removed) (Hodrige) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hello,
> I have just purchased my first SLR ever... I have not gotten any lens
> for it yet. I don't want to spend too much money on lens yet! What
> should I buy for my first lens... more of an all purpose lens. I am
> thinking around $200.00.
> What should my second lenses be? (After I recover from my purchase)
> Please advice.
> Thanks,
> Hodrige.

I have the EF 28/2.8 nearly cemented to my 10D. The focal length
multiplier gives it an angle of view equivalent to a 45mm lens on a
35mm film camera. I find this lens and camera combination to be great
for my general purposes; I like to shoot social documentary and street
images.

Michael

Don

Folks, you haven't mentioned the 17 to 40 L which is nothing short of
stunning. If you like street shooting (it is also black not white) this is
an awesome lens.

regards

Don from Down Under
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...