Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > TCP/IP WPA and XPSP2

TCP/IP WPA and XPSP2

=?Utf-8?B?UEs=?=

Here's the scoop:
I have an Acer notebook with Broadcom wireless card and D-Link router. My
wireless connection works fine if no encryption is set. If I try to set up
WPA I get "limited connectivity" message. This happens wheter or not I assign
my notebook an IP address on router, use MAC filtering, etc. etc.
Here's how I got it to work. I connected my notebook to a router using LAN
cable. Then I copied TCP/IP settings that worked for LAN connection. I used
the same settings for a LAN card. Basically, there seems to be an issue with
"DHCP" and XPSP2. I believe Microsoft issued a bulletin board on this.

Is there a permanent solution for this issue? I am tired of manually
changing TCP/IP setting everytime I use my notebook at home and then at
school.

ANONYMOUS

You might need to reset your router to be in DHCP mode. Have you looked
in the manual that came with your router? Check D_Link's webste for
manual and updates:

http://support.dlink.com/

To reset your d-link router, you will need to use a small pin and insert
it in the hole for about 10-15 seconds. This means all your settings
would be lost but you will get DHCP working again. What is the
make/model of your router?

hth

PK wrote:

> Here's the scoop:
> I have an Acer notebook with Broadcom wireless card and D-Link router. My
> wireless connection works fine if no encryption is set. If I try to set up
> WPA I get "limited connectivity" message. This happens wheter or not I assign
> my notebook an IP address on router, use MAC filtering, etc. etc.
> Here's how I got it to work. I connected my notebook to a router using LAN
> cable. Then I copied TCP/IP settings that worked for LAN connection. I used
> the same settings for a LAN card. Basically, there seems to be an issue with
> "DHCP" and XPSP2. I believe Microsoft issued a bulletin board on this.
>
> Is there a permanent solution for this issue? I am tired of manually
> changing TCP/IP setting everytime I use my notebook at home and then at
> school.

=?Utf-8?B?YXJtc3Ryb25n?=

hi there,
instead of wpa try wep and choose the option for windows to automatically
configure you TCP/IP for you
good luck
armstrong

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

"PK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's the scoop:
> I have an Acer notebook with Broadcom wireless card and D-Link router. My
> wireless connection works fine if no encryption is set. If I try to set up
> WPA I get "limited connectivity" message. This happens wheter or not I
> assign
> my notebook an IP address on router, use MAC filtering, etc. etc.
> Here's how I got it to work. I connected my notebook to a router using LAN
> cable. Then I copied TCP/IP settings that worked for LAN connection. I
> used
> the same settings for a LAN card. Basically, there seems to be an issue
> with
> "DHCP" and XPSP2. I believe Microsoft issued a bulletin board on this.
>
> Is there a permanent solution for this issue? I am tired of manually
> changing TCP/IP setting everytime I use my notebook at home and then at
> school.

WPA+PSK? Make sure your wireless card is capable of dealing with that and
you enter the encryption key correctly.
Make sure DHCP is enabled on your router (or server, depending on what you
use).
MAC filtering is not terribly useful, although it can't hurt as an
additional preventive measure.