Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Battery life and why?

Battery life and why?

Peter James

Perhaps someone could tell a non-technical ignoramus like me why it
was that the batteries on my old Canon EOS 600 with a motor drive and
with a auto-focus motor to drive, would last for months, whilst the
re-chargeable batteries on my new Canon A80 last for three days.
During that period I would have put at least 10 to 20 rolls of film
through it! Am I missing something perhaps?
--

Peter James
Change AT to @ and dot to . to reply

Colm

Digital cameras use more power because they've got more electronics to run.
LCD, file conversions/resizing etc....

--
Colm

"Peter James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Perhaps someone could tell a non-technical ignoramus like me why it
> was that the batteries on my old Canon EOS 600 with a motor drive and
> with a auto-focus motor to drive, would last for months, whilst the
> re-chargeable batteries on my new Canon A80 last for three days.
> During that period I would have put at least 10 to 20 rolls of film
> through it! Am I missing something perhaps?

Dave Cohen

Something is wrong, it's either the camera, batteries or a charging problem.
I get 200 -300 shots on canon A40.
Dave Cohen

"Colm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6o4h8$e8is2$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Digital cameras use more power because they've got more electronics to

run.
> LCD, file conversions/resizing etc....
>
> --
> Colm
>

> "Peter James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Perhaps someone could tell a non-technical ignoramus like me why it
> > was that the batteries on my old Canon EOS 600 with a motor drive and
> > with a auto-focus motor to drive, would last for months, whilst the
> > re-chargeable batteries on my new Canon A80 last for three days.
> > During that period I would have put at least 10 to 20 rolls of film
> > through it! Am I missing something perhaps?

Colm

The OP didn't specify how many shots he was taking in the 3 days. It could
be 200-300.
Or he could be using it's review feature constantly.
Or the rechargeables might be 600mAh.
Or........

--
Colm

"Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Something is wrong, it's either the camera, batteries or a charging

problem.
> I get 200 -300 shots on canon A40.
> Dave Cohen

hfs2

I was so curious about current required by my camera, I measured it.
From a previous post.

> I put my dx4330 on the instruments here at work. I was curious
> what kind of current different modes required. Here's what I measured.
> Waveforms were not solid so I kinda guessed the average value. I didn't
> record the time scale. If you own one you'll already have a feel
> for when these apply.
>
> idle, display off ~ 100 mA with 200 mA to 1000 mA pulses
> idle, display on ~ 650 mA
> snap flash pic ~ two main levels levels here and deep spikes
> right after shot 650 mA
> second level, same duration, 1125 mA
> then a third "processing" level at about 250 mA - then back
> to 100 mA at idle
> motor out ~ 500 mA
> motor in ~ 250 mA
> movie mode with display 1100 mA
> movie mode without display 625 mA

Peter James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Perhaps someone could tell a non-technical ignoramus like me why it
> was that the batteries on my old Canon EOS 600 with a motor drive and
> with a auto-focus motor to drive, would last for months, whilst the
> re-chargeable batteries on my new Canon A80 last for three days.
> During that period I would have put at least 10 to 20 rolls of film
> through it! Am I missing something perhaps?

Peter James

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:35:53 +0100, "Colm" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The OP didn't specify how many shots he was taking in the 3 days. It could
>be 200-300.
>Or he could be using it's review feature constantly.
>Or the rechargeables might be 600mAh.
>Or........

Maybe ten shots, and I don't use the review feature unless essential,
as I know it drains power. The rechargeables are 1850 Nimh new as of
three months ago.
--

Peter James
Change AT to @ and dot to . to reply

Colm

In that case, if I were in your shoes....
I'd test the camera with a 2nd set of batteries. If the results were the
same I'd return the camera for fixin'.
What you're seeing isn't normal.

--
Colm

"Peter James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Maybe ten shots, and I don't use the review feature unless essential,
> as I know it drains power. The rechargeables are 1850 Nimh new as of
> three months ago.

Peter James

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:26:37 +0100, "Colm" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In that case, if I were in your shoes....
>I'd test the camera with a 2nd set of batteries. If the results were the
>same I'd return the camera for fixin'.
>What you're seeing isn't normal.

The same results with a second set of batteries. And yes, I'm
returning the camera to Canon U.K. for checking and fixing. Thanks.
--

Peter James
Change AT to @ and dot to . to reply

Dickens

My wife is observing that her new A60 with 2100 mAh Nmh
batteries loses power with the camera off. 10 days of
camera off takes the batteries below 1.1 volts and the
camera declares the batteries dead.

A quick thumbnail calculation suggests that a 10mA
drain with the power off would have that impact. That
seems like a lot.

Is this a sensitive camera or bad (new) batteries. I
had the same but faster behavior with 1600mAh batteries
before I bought the 2100's

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (hfs2) wrote:

> I was so curious about current required by my camera, I measured it.
> From a previous post.
>
> > I put my dx4330 on the instruments here at work. I was curious
> > what kind of current different modes required. Here's what I measured.
> > Waveforms were not solid so I kinda guessed the average value. I didn't
> > record the time scale. If you own one you'll already have a feel
> > for when these apply.
> >
> > idle, display off ~ 100 mA with 200 mA to 1000 mA pulses
> > idle, display on ~ 650 mA
> > snap flash pic ~ two main levels levels here and deep spikes
> > right after shot 650 mA
> > second level, same duration, 1125 mA
> > then a third "processing" level at about 250 mA - then back
> > to 100 mA at idle
> > motor out ~ 500 mA
> > motor in ~ 250 mA
> > movie mode with display 1100 mA
> > movie mode without display 625 mA
> >

> Peter James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> > Perhaps someone could tell a non-technical ignoramus like me why it
> > was that the batteries on my old Canon EOS 600 with a motor drive and
> > with a auto-focus motor to drive, would last for months, whilst the
> > re-chargeable batteries on my new Canon A80 last for three days.
> > During that period I would have put at least 10 to 20 rolls of film
> > through it! Am I missing something perhaps?

--
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume
<http://www.webcom.com/thinker> Hypertext editor for creative people.

Ken Weitzel

Dickens wrote:
> My wife is observing that her new A60 with 2100 mAh Nmh
> batteries loses power with the camera off. 10 days of
> camera off takes the batteries below 1.1 volts and the
> camera declares the batteries dead.
>
> A quick thumbnail calculation suggests that a 10mA
> drain with the power off would have that impact. That
> seems like a lot.
>
> Is this a sensitive camera or bad (new) batteries. I
> had the same but faster behavior with 1600mAh batteries
> before I bought the 2100's

This issue was discussed in depth sometime during the
past year.

I think if you check individual cells you'll find that
only one of the set is going dead.

It turned out that the battery cover was designed in
such way that it allowed a bit of a short to exist.

Perhaps with any luck that poster is still reading and
will re-post his cure for you; or failing that you
might be able to dig it out of one of the
rec.photo.digital archive sites.

Take care.

Ken