Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > HP 812 Dilemma

HP 812 Dilemma

Tobor8thMan

My 4MP HP 812 PhotoSmart camera seems to have developed a problem with the
lens extension/retraction mechanism. It rattles as the motor tries to
retract or extend the lens. Probably a stripped or broken gear. I bought it
Dec 2002 for about $400 (a decent price at the time for the features ).

Problem is that it only came with a 1 year warranty (which has passed, of
course). Since a similarly featured digicam goes for around $300 today, what
would you do? Take it to a shop and maybe pay close to the cost of a new one
for repairs, or take a chance on opening it up yourself with the hope that
it's a simple part replacement.

Alan Browne

Tobor8thMan wrote:

> My 4MP HP 812 PhotoSmart camera seems to have developed a problem with the
> lens extension/retraction mechanism. It rattles as the motor tries to
> retract or extend the lens. Probably a stripped or broken gear. I bought it
> Dec 2002 for about $400 (a decent price at the time for the features ).
>
> Problem is that it only came with a 1 year warranty (which has passed, of
> course). Since a similarly featured digicam goes for around $300 today, what
> would you do? Take it to a shop and maybe pay close to the cost of a new one
> for repairs, or take a chance on opening it up yourself with the hope that
> it's a simple part replacement.

These small cameras are designed for low cost manufacturing, not for
repair. If the cost of an estimate is negligeable, go there first. It
may be cheaper to buy a used one of the same thing, than get the current
one repaired.

In the end a new one might be the cheapest deal ... and an opportunity
to get a better camera (in all respects) if that is of interest to you.

Cheers,
Alan.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Your 642-812 BCMSN recommendations Andy Cisco 0 01-04-2007 01:46 AM
OT: Dilemma CBIC MCSE 23 08-29-2005 03:21 PM
Wireless Printing Dilemma =?Utf-8?B?YmhpZ2dpbnM=?= Wireless Networking 3 01-10-2005 03:39 PM
Router / Wireless Router Dilemma RedRover Wireless Networking 2 12-16-2004 06:21 PM
Set focus on a form control dilemma Chris ASP .Net 0 11-10-2003 10:19 AM

Advertisments