Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 vs. Canon Digital Rebel 300D

Nikon D70 vs. Canon Digital Rebel 300D

Elmo Burger

OK. The two sub $1000 DSLRs have been out and tested for a while. Brand
bias aside, instead of simply asking the question of which is better, I
would like this thread to point out the advantages and disadvantages of
each. I read Phil Askey's reviews at DPREVIEW.COM about the two cameras,
but I would like to hear from some owners. It would be GREAT if we can
hear from some people that have handled BOTH cameras.

Obvously if you are already invested in lenses and accessories for one
brand, it probably makes sense to stick with that brand. But what about
the DSLR virgins?

The Rebel kit is selling for as low as $879 on Pricegrabber at quality
merchants, while the Nikon is going for $1300. Is the Rebel truly the
better value? Or is the $400+ difference only cosmetic?

From what I understand, the Nikon kit lens is OK, while the EF-S Canon
lens is supposed to be a dog. Any thoughts?

I'm in the market for my first DSLR. I'm not invested in either brand
yet, so that is not a factor. The Rebel price drop has begun. How low
will it go before it is replaced?

--
Elmo Burger

Lung Fish

"Elmo Burger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:E1BI27x-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-server.org:

> OK. The two sub $1000 DSLRs have been out and tested for a while. Brand
> bias aside, instead of simply asking the question of which is better, I
> would like this thread to point out the advantages and disadvantages of
> each. I read Phil Askey's reviews at DPREVIEW.COM about the two cameras,
> but I would like to hear from some owners. It would be GREAT if we can
> hear from some people that have handled BOTH cameras.

Feature wise, the Nikon is far ahead of the Canon. Also, in build quality
and feel. The kit lens tha Nikon bundles in is also on a different level
that the Canon.

Of course, you still need to look at the overall system that you will be
entering into. Pricewise, the bodies are still very close to make a
comparison valid. The kit lenses are a bit more differentiated by their
cost as well.

But hold them both in your hands and look at the feature set and you'll
walk away with the D70.

Bull Winkle

In article <Xns94D75A0D6B8F1lungfish@216.196.97.136>,
Lung Fish <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But hold them both in your hands and look at the feature set and you'll
> walk away with the D70.

That makes me happy as I bought the D70 "Outfit" on Friday and used it for a
Wedding on Saturday. I think its a good deal.

Linda Terrell

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:12:51 UTC, Bull Winkle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> In article <Xns94D75A0D6B8F1lungfish@216.196.97.136>,
> Lung Fish <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > But hold them both in your hands and look at the feature set and you'll
> > walk away with the D70.

> That makes me happy as I bought the D70 "Outfit" on Friday and used it for a
> Wedding on Saturday. I think its a good deal.

Bought our D70 outfit on a Saturday afternoon, that evening I was
taking
gorgeous shots of gorgeous sunsets here in Florida. Later, night
shots and
sunrise shots in Tarpon Springs harbor.

LT

stan@temple.edu

Elmo Burger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OK. The two sub $1000 DSLRs have been out and tested for a while. Brand
> bias aside, instead of simply asking the question of which is better, I
> would like this thread to point out the advantages and disadvantages of
> each. I read Phil Askey's reviews at DPREVIEW.COM about the two cameras,
> but I would like to hear from some owners. It would be GREAT if we can
> hear from some people that have handled BOTH cameras.

The better camera for you depends on the type of subjects you prefer to
shoot. A friend of mine has a D70 and I have a Digital Rebel. We are both
very happy with our cameras. It seems to me that both offer superb image
quality, but the D70 does it faster. If you shoot mostly action scenes,
you would probably be better off with the D70 since it is faster to
save images to the memory card. Of course, if you have lenses for Nikon
or Canon already, that would play a heavy decision in which dSLR to buy.

Stafford_PC

My new D70 has resparked my interest in photography. I have a ton of nikon
lens and several 8008s. It is an awesome camera.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:c6jgcr$3le$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Elmo Burger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > OK. The two sub $1000 DSLRs have been out and tested for a while. Brand
> > bias aside, instead of simply asking the question of which is better, I
> > would like this thread to point out the advantages and disadvantages of
> > each. I read Phil Askey's reviews at DPREVIEW.COM about the two cameras,
> > but I would like to hear from some owners. It would be GREAT if we can
> > hear from some people that have handled BOTH cameras.

> The better camera for you depends on the type of subjects you prefer to
> shoot. A friend of mine has a D70 and I have a Digital Rebel. We are both
> very happy with our cameras. It seems to me that both offer superb image
> quality, but the D70 does it faster. If you shoot mostly action scenes,
> you would probably be better off with the D70 since it is faster to
> save images to the memory card. Of course, if you have lenses for Nikon
> or Canon already, that would play a heavy decision in which dSLR to buy.

George Preddy

"Elmo Burger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)-server.org>...
> OK. The two sub $1000 DSLRs have been out and tested for a while.

The 13.72MP SD9 is selling for $650.

Tom Scales

Well shoot, if we're going to quote interpolated numbers, then

My D100 was more expensive than that, but hey, after just a little effort
with Photoshop, it's a 61 megapixel camera, no wait, wait, it's 6.1
GIGApixels.....

What a hoot.

Tom
"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Elmo Burger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)-server.org>...
> > OK. The two sub $1000 DSLRs have been out and tested for a while.

> The 13.72MP SD9 is selling for $650.

Yves Deweerdt

Tom Scales wrote:
> Well shoot, if we're going to quote interpolated numbers, then
>
> My D100 was more expensive than that, but hey, after just a little effort
> with Photoshop, it's a 61 megapixel camera, no wait, wait, it's 6.1
> GIGApixels.....

wooow, you must have a lot of RAM in your PC

Tom Scales

Guess I'll have to buy a Mac
news:c6lgib$bjj$(E-Mail Removed)...