Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice Please: Canon - A70, A75 or A80

Advice Please: Canon - A70, A75 or A80

Andrew Portess

I would like to purchase a digtial camera and the Canon Powershot range
above have caught my eye. I appreciate that they are a little bulkier than
some digital cameras but I think I would prefer that. Here in the UK the
A70 retails for around 198 and the A75 for A199 so I can easily knock the
A70 off my list. My question is should I go for the older A80 (229) or the
newer A75. With the exception of mega-pixels does the A75 (being newer)
offer any advantages over the A80 or is the A80 still a better model.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

WP

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:06:45 +0100, Andrew Portess wrote:

> I would like to purchase a digtial camera and the Canon Powershot range
> above have caught my eye. I appreciate that they are a little bulkier
> than some digital cameras but I think I would prefer that. Here in the UK
> the A70 retails for around 198 and the A75 for A199 so I can easily
> knock the A70 off my list. My question is should I go for the older A80
> (229) or the newer A75. With the exception of mega-pixels does the A75
> (being newer) offer any advantages over the A80 or is the A80 still a
> better model.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Andy

Canon seems to release their cameras in pairs. The A40 and A50 were
replaced with the A60 and A70 respectively. They came out with the A75
(larger LCD screen than the A70) but, I'm not sure if they release an A85
(none showed on the PowerShot home page). With the release of the A75
they are no longer producing the A70. I have the A70 and like it a lot.
I think the only difference between the A70 and the A75 is the screen size
and the button configuration on the back. The A75 button setup is similar
to Kodak. I personally don't like that configuration and like the setup of
the A70. The button style of the A75 just seems to give me the cheap
feeling when I handle it and I would think that you could accidently
select something scrolling through the menus a lot easier.

Just my .02 worth.

Eatmorepies

"Andrew Portess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I would like to purchase a digtial camera and the Canon Powershot range
> above have caught my eye. I appreciate that they are a little bulkier

than
> some digital cameras but I think I would prefer that. Here in the UK the
> A70 retails for around 198 and the A75 for A199 so I can easily knock the
> A70 off my list. My question is should I go for the older A80 (229) or

the
> newer A75. With the exception of mega-pixels does the A75 (being newer)
> offer any advantages over the A80 or is the A80 still a better model.

Haven't used an A75 but I have used an A80 at work, a lot. It produces
excellent pictures and offers plenty of manual controls. The only thing it
lacks is a hot shoe, so I bought a G5 when I spent my own money.

John

Colin

I have an A70, and my daughter an A75 so have used both hands on.

Both take the same (brilliant) quality of pictures, though the larger screen
on the A75 is a real improvement, and there are few more nice extras in the
menu system too.

I would go for the A75, unless you think the extra pixels on the A80 are
really worth having. Unless you want to enlarge pictures a lot, or produce
really big prints, I doubt that it is worth the extra money.

This Canon range I think is the best value around.

Colin