Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need advice on Telephoto Zoom for Nikon

Need advice on Telephoto Zoom for Nikon

Sebastien Gandolphe

Hi,

I own a Nikon D100, and I'm considering to by a Telephoto Zoom before I
go to South Africa for a safari. Yesterday I tested the Nikon 80-400
f/4.5-f/5.6 D. It is of course an awesome lense, but it is also out of
my price range !

Do any of you could give me advice on a good telephoto Zoom (up to 300
or 400mm) that could also ba afordable ?

Thanks

Sebastien

Roger Halstead

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:54:24 +0800, Sebastien Gandolphe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I own a Nikon D100, and I'm considering to by a Telephoto Zoom before I
>go to South Africa for a safari. Yesterday I tested the Nikon 80-400
>f/4.5-f/5.6 D. It is of course an awesome lense, but it is also out of
>my price range !
>
>Do any of you could give me advice on a good telephoto Zoom (up to 300
>or 400mm) that could also ba afordable ?

Take a look at the 80 to 300. It's relatively inexpensive compared to
the big iron and works well. As has been pointed out elsewhere, (35
mm group I think), it gets a bit soft around the edges between 200 and
300 mm, although I've never found that to be a problem with the type
of photography I normally do. On my D-70 (which doesn't use the
edges), it's tack sharp.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>Thanks
>
>Sebastien

steve@PhotographersPlayhouse.com~

I would suggest the Nikkor 70-300 ED.

I use both Nikkor 70-300ED and the Nikkor 80-400VR. Prior to getting
the 80-400, the 70-300 served me well and I believe you will be
pleased with it also.

Steve
PhotographersPlayhouse.com

Sebastien Gandolphe

Thanks guys, I'll definitely have a look at this 80-300lense. Perhaps
Sigma, Tokina, have also good quality lenses fulfilling my needs. Any
ideas about that ? They are usually cheaper than Nikkor and not
necessarely bad quality... ?

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Roger Halstead <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:54:24 +0800, Sebastien Gandolphe
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I own a Nikon D100, and I'm considering to by a Telephoto Zoom before I
> >go to South Africa for a safari. Yesterday I tested the Nikon 80-400
> >f/4.5-f/5.6 D. It is of course an awesome lense, but it is also out of
> >my price range !
> >
> >Do any of you could give me advice on a good telephoto Zoom (up to 300
> >or 400mm) that could also ba afordable ?
> >

> Take a look at the 80 to 300. It's relatively inexpensive compared to
> the big iron and works well. As has been pointed out elsewhere, (35
> mm group I think), it gets a bit soft around the edges between 200 and
> 300 mm, although I've never found that to be a problem with the type
> of photography I normally do. On my D-70 (which doesn't use the
> edges), it's tack sharp.
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
> www.rogerhalstead.com
> >Thanks
> >
> >Sebastien

steve@PhotographersPlayhouse.com~

Your quality is in the Nikkor. There have been many threads posted
regarding lack of durability on the Sigma. Don't recall anything on
the Tokina.

Check your prices, however, I believe you will find that the price
difference will not be significant enough to lower your quality
expectations. Also, the Nikkor ED (not the G series) is rapid focus, a
definate bonus when shooting running animals, sports events, etc.

Steve
PhotographersPlayhouse.com