Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Remote file access from Windows?

Remote file access from Windows?

jayb

I'd like to be able to access files on a remote system in an
"invisible" manner from a Windows system. What I'm after is to be able
to interact with the remote filesystem just as I would locally (and
just as it is done under UNIX).

Any suggestion to a module that already does this or something similar?

Joe Smith

jayb wrote:
> I'd like to be able to access files on a remote system in an
> "invisible" manner from a Windows system. What I'm after is to be able
> to interact with the remote filesystem just as I would locally (and
> just as it is done under UNIX).

Insufficient information. What are you trying to do?
*) Windows client accessing a share on a Windows file server?
*) Windows NFS client accessing an NFS server?
*) Windows client accessing an Andrews File System?

The above three scenarios call out for a non-Perl solution.

jayb

Joe Smith wrote:

> Insufficient information. What are you trying to do?

Thanks Joe. You are completely correct. It was insufficient. What I
was trying to do was access a file on another Windows machine within
it's workgroup. It appears the answer is that Perl will allow me to
use Universal Naming Convention (UNC) pathnames under Microsoft
Windows. UNC pathnames are formatted like \\machinename\sharename.
(Found this out at
http://www.informit.com/articles/art...p?p=29311&rl=1.)

I was amazed that such a simple mechanism would (or could) exist under
Windows. I really get the feeling that MS prefers crytic to simple!
Nice to see Windows adopting some of the nicer bits of UNIX...